Portuguese defenders concern!

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by ricardoq, Feb 25, 2018.

1. ricardoq

ricardoq New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    As Jose Fonte goes to a Chinese club, so I think he will not be in the finalists to Russia.

Pepe, for sure, but I cannot think of any consistent defense players except for Pepe.

How is Bruno Alves now, I have never heard his news.

I look into 3 big Portuguese clubs and their defenders are not Portuguese at all.

I look for young Portuguese talents on the internet, only forwards, midfielders and wingers emerging, cannot see a defense player.

How do you think will pair Pepe in the Portuguese defense line?

Thank you

2. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    there are no good options that have experience IMO

it will be a gamble, hope it pays off. Would be great to have a paring like Carvalho and Andrade again, we'd be unstoppable!

3. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I would agree with you. I think there is a bit of concern at the CB position. Generally, when players goto China, that is the end of their NT careers, much like Giovinco in the MLS.. it is deemed a not very 'competitive' league, and hard to determine a players worth.

Uhm, honestly, i think Ruben Dias is the first option at this point. Granted, he has no experience, but neither did Renato Sanches when introduced in the Euro 16, although i do acknowledge CB and CM are very very VERYYYY different animals... especially when potentially going up against the Spanish, Brasilians, Germans at some point.

But.. lets see when Santos has planned... as illogical as it would be to consider Fonte at this point, it wouldnt totally shock me if he was still called...

Looking at it though, i must wonder if Fonte and Santos had some sort of conversation leading upto this transfer.. maybe Santos did not see Fonte in the starting line up, and is what allowed Fonte to leave at this point, knowing he would not be on the WC squad given his injury problems and poor performances.

4. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    I think Fonte knew his time was up and went to China for money. If he wanted to make the national team he could have gone to ANY European League and started for a mid-low placed club, anything but China.

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Obviously Fonte will start with Pepe, I don't know what you are all talking about.

6. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fonte Will be there but post WC he Will be phased out quite quickly.

7. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Really? what is this assumption based on?

Honestly, i would say that MLS is a more competitive league then that of China. How is it someone who has ripped apart the MLS like Giovinco has done over the last couple seasons been frowned upon by the Italian FA because of where he plys his trade?

Fonte is just going to be thrown into the WC? after playing in China? really?

What is that saying about the Portuguese FA? or is it the fact he will only be there for a couple months prior to selection it wont affect his status as much as it would have had he played for a couple seasons in China?

8. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Soooo... this is all news to me. ********.

There is 0% chance Jose Fonte starts for Portugal in the WC.

I dont know what the couple of you are talking about when questioning those who doubt Fontes spot on the roster.. theres no way he will be a part of the team.

The CB pairing is going to likely be Pepe-Dias... Maybe Alves.. Maybe Carrico.. Maybe Vezo... but absolutely not Fonte... lets be honest.. its going to be Ruben Dias.

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Our CBs are a concern but Pepe and Fonte will be the main pairing unless Fonte has any sort of injury. Bruno Alves will probably be on the team too. He plays in Rangers but he is too experienced to be left out right now.

As for the 4th CB, no idea or preference right now.

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #11 GoodDead, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    LOL
    Assumption?....haha Assumption? He's been the starter since what late 2015 early 2016? No one has come close to challenging him for his spot. Can someone take it in the friendlies leading up to the WC? Maybe, big maybe the only one assuming anything is you saying he's for sure lost it. That's just illogical. Actually it's just stupid, but I'll give you illogical as someone could always potentially steal the spot but right now its' 100% his.
    LOL this was hilarious to read.

Someone tell Spain they weren't supposed to call David Villa anymore.

By your amazing logic if Messi or Ronaldo were sold to MLS this year Argentina and Portugal would have to not call them LOL. Giovinco was snubbed I think it was always because of his height even in juve he played well and got snubbed. He has offers but zero desire to go back to Italy. Anyone that argues he isn't better than what Italy threw out in WC qualifiers really his their head up anything Europeans ass.

Honestly, I don't think some of you think before spouting off. Fonte and Pepe (barring injury) are starting...oh thats another one, Pepe. Look at how Madrid suffer without him but he automatically sucks now cause hes in Turkey. Yeah but Varane is good LOLOLOL. Suuuuure.

11. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    What are you blabbing on about?

What exactly is your point? ok. He has been a started since 2016.. and? he is now 34 years old.. playing in China.. and just got pumped 8-0? lol. He has been injured all year.. and when healthy, hasnt started. Everyones time comes to an end.. regardless of how long they have been starting.

Come World Cup time, it will have been roughly 8 months since his last string of consistent competitive action (October was last time he started for West Ham)..

Why is it a big maybe that someone can challenge him for the spot? What is your 'amazing' logic? oh.. cuz he has been a starter since 2016? the fact he has been injured for the whole season... hasnt played... is 34... and playing in China surely couldnt be any reason of concern..

You know whats hilarious? the fact your laugh at someones 'assumption' but your own remarks are exactly that... an assumption.

Your an idiot.

12. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Agreed, yeh he's been a starter since 2016 but....

But he's been injured for a long time, and was playing poorly before he was injured and has definitely lost a couple steps since 2016. He was already slow to begin with.

Unless he gets a lot of minutes in the next few months and regains form, his chances of going to Russia are pretty small IMO.

Gooddead: aren't you a moderator? You should probably learn to tone down your posts and contribute to the conversation in a mature manner.

13. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Be careful, man.

Make sure you think before you `spout off`

I am in full agreement with your thoughts. Something special will have to happen in his game between now and then to get called for the NT. Getting pumped 8-0 by another Chinese team is hardly what i am talking about..

14. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  15. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I believe the article did not put as much thought into the possibilities that can be had..

a few notes though:

1. His mention of Bruno Alves, i have no idea who the person is he refers to in the article, though i am glad they made it known Alves has been playing only when 100% healthy, saving himself for the WC, and when playing has looked solid. It goes against what some other people have mentioned through out the forums though.. who have stated he has been their worse defender by far, and couldnt defend for shit.. not watching the league, i do not have an opinion.. just curious which is more accurate.? has he or hasnt he played well?

2. I find the point about Portugal not being extremely reliant on CB's handling the ball much with their feet in an offensive position valid. This would serve to benefit Ruben Dias.. who i firmly believe will be given the chance to grab that CB spot that is currently open for business. If he performs well, which there is no reason to think he wont.. untill he proves he cant.. then he will likely be starting v Spain.

16. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed. The article seemed a bit "rushed".

I really would love to see a young CB take the starting role next to Pepe. Not only for this world cup, but also for the next few years. Pepe might play 2 to 4 more years tops for the Seleção and we need someone who will have some experience playing for the team once Pepe leaves. I really hope a player like Dias can step up and take this on.

17. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If we're this desperate for defenders, why not call up Danilo?

18. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Danilo is currently injured. The idea has been thought of.. amongst fans only though, lol.

19. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tiago Ilori, Edgar Le, Tobias Figueiredo, Paulo Oliveira, Rúben Semedo (lol), plenty of others.

Seems that we’ve had just as many promising central defenders in the youth teams over the past decade as in other positions, but these guys just haven’t developed. I understand the position generally does take the longest for young players to fully develop and then reach their potential, but I want a new Ricardo Carvalho!

dipluso repped this.
  20. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    i am assuming your 'lol' beside Ruben Semedo is due to his upcoming jail time.

Your right though, we have had a lot of 'promise' in the CB position, but that is all it has amounted to so far.. is promise. No one has proven they are capable of filling in and doing a good job. We have a lot of pylons at the moment.

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You're*

Jonathan Pimentel repped this.
  22. Jonathan Pimentel