Post-match: Portugal vs. USA

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 14, 2017.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a time where Williams was the best player on his team and JK never called him. He had Bradley and he had no more questions to be answered. I think JK lost confidence in Williams when he had a bad game for us in Europe, it was a foggy game if memory serves me right, it was when Williams passed the ball back to Howard in the final 3rd of our opponent's side like he didn't know what to do with the ball.

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK dropped Jones and Bradley at the start of his tenure and brought them back
    Klinsmann dropped Jozy who was not in form and brought in EJ during WCQ 2014 Group.
    Klinsmann publicly dropped Zusi and Morales before the start of WCQ 2014 Group and brought them back.
    Klinsmann dropped Gonzo, Besler, Torres, Castillo, Orozco, Ream, Lichaj, Chandler, and Williams then brought them all back

People forget that DWill played in the last 2 friendlies before the Mexico and CR matches which started this Hex. Williams was beaten out by Kljestan for the last CM slot.

juveeer repped this.
  3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones was injured for the first couple of games and Bradley only was bypassed for the first game under JK tenure if I recall correctly, Bradley was sorting out his club issues and was quickly integrated again.

If memory serves me right, Jozy was benched because he didn't train while traveling with his club team in some island, I think it was a promotional trip.
    He brought back some of the players you mentioned because of necessity not because he felt those players got better to his usual selection. I great example was Morales, Bradley wasn't available so Morales was used.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. Jones was not injured and totally dropped for matches 2 to 5. Bradley was dropped for 2 and 3, sit behind Beckerman and Edu for 4, 5, 6 and finally got a start for 7.
    Not true. You have confused the end of Jozy's season with WCQ matches 5 months later.

"I communicated with Jozy that I was not happy about his latest performances with us, maybe even over the last 14 months," Klinsmann said. "I think Jozy can do much, much better, and the reason why he's not coming in is mainly about the performances in Jamaica and at home, also in training. Also certain things that went on through the May-June camp.''
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/oct/09/jozy-altidore-usmnt-roster-dropped-usa
    You don't know that.

The fact is that JK has dropped players and brought them back when he thought they could help the squad. Kljestan and Green were two examples on JK's very last matches.

juveeer repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams really put it together and took his game to another level over the last 18 or so months.

In 2014 or 15 he wasn't the player he is now. He's developed.

juveeer repped this.
  6. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, his "development" is greatly exaggerated by folks who 1) hadn't seen him play over the years in the Championship and 2) want to push an agenda...

Gacm32 repped this.
  7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    and 3. prefer competition for spots rather than lazy players with guaranteed spots/think Premier League rotation player is enough to play for an awful US team/like being in the World Cup.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aye, the anti-Williams agenda runs strong....

juveeer and Gacm32 repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Of course not, but Williams had been mediocre as a DM, reason why he went from the BuLi to the Championship --regardless of the equal money, it's a demotion.

He's only proved good as a B2B.

Otherwise, yes, Bradley got far too many chances. When I said Bob should let other guys play his position so we could have a backup, back in the day, I was accused of being one of the guys screaming "nepotism."

Can't win here.

10. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I've got nothing against the guy and would have had no problem with him being called in for 2017 qualifying matches. However, unlike you I've seen him play over the years in the Championship so I realize this narrative about his recent "development" is largely BS and agenda driven.

11. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Agreed. He's been this good for the a while now, just getting more exposure. He was good at Hoffenheim, but couldn't get matches. Then, from pretty much the moment he moved to Reading, he was integral to their squad.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Williams got a dozen caps with the NT in his time at Hoffenheim and he was not memorable.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The argument of "you haven't watched but I have" isn't an argument.

But please, continue your agenda.

14. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It actually is. Unlike you I actually have a basis for evaluating his "development" over his tenure at Reading.

As for you, you jumped on the Williams train last spring (sight unseen) as a means to push your pet agendas (which those who've been posting here for any amount of time are very familiar with).

ceezmad repped this.
  15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, let's not forget a few years back the U.S. beat the Netherlands and Germany in friendlies before going on to flop in the Gold Cup. Euro sides usually look half-interested at best when they play us during friendlies. That CONCACAF Ultra League or whatever it's called will probably test the young guns better than that Portugal game.