PORTUGAL VS URUGUAY 2018 FIFA World Cup Round of 16 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I stand corrected on that fact, but again, I never meant to dispute that fact. At any rate: I apologize if I misunderstood what you meant to say... I was under the impression that you were talking about Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018 as specific examples of how Portugal for whatever the reason cannot carry their Euro form to the World Cup. Which is why I mentioned Euro 2016, because in my opinion, Portugal did carried their Euro 2016 form to World Cup 2018... well except in World Cup 2018 they didn't get quite as many lucky breaks.

Anyways... As you mentioned: Portugal does have a history of being highly competitive at the Euro, and yes, their Euro form does not translate into great World Cup form. It would make for an interesting discussion the why to that fact or mere coincidence.

2. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    This is too serious a post for right now, we shat the bed, trolls hovering, time to just say ******** it for tonight

3. overheadkicks

overheadkicks Member

G.D. Chaves
    Portugal
    Feb 14, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How does a coach only bring one real Trinco to the god damn world cup?

I'm outta here gotta clean my guns, I'm going to the range all day tomorrow no soccer.

4. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    blah, blah, why don't you just ******** off !

5. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Toronto FC / Santa Clara / benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes exactly I meant in general

Portugal
    In 2016 was better...they controlled many games and had better midfield also Nani was good.

Even if they drew games in the group stage they dominated those games with many shots, this group stage was much worse

NewLaw83, leadleader and overheadkicks repped this.
  6. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's really stupid to talk about luck in tournaments

You can say that about any team

Germany in 2014

Beat injury plagued Portugal
    Beat Algeria a shit team in extra time
    Beat France when they were young and not like today (a bit like comparing Croatia 2018 to 2016)
    Beat an out of sorts Brazil 7-1 , who had no defence and were completely out of sorts and took advantage and ran up the score
    Lucky to not concede against Argentina in first half etc

Spain won in 2010 every game 1-0... Netherlands missing break always in the final

Italy win in 2006 playing Australia and Ukraine (minnows) , then klinsman germany , then winning on pk in the final when zidane does the unthinkable. You can argue Portugals route in 2016 was more difficult.

You can diminish every tournament win if you talk about luck

NewLaw83, dipluso, leadleader and 3 others repped this.
  7. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
  8. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Italy won a WC in 1982 drawing all 3 group games as well its funny how they diminish our win.

They also fluked a win against Brazil which at the time was seen as a catastrophe for the game.

Before that Italy won an euro in 1968, and they won the semi final on a coin toss

Their precious two WC wins were in the 1930s when Uruguay (main contender) didn't even compete because they were angry many euro sides bailed out on 1930

See it's easy to diminish accomplishments if you look at angles

Portugal did better than Germany the last 2 tournaments ,

Don't worry ronaldo will retire soon and you won't see us for another 20 years when we have a next generation

Best football Portugal ever played was before ronaldo , 1998-2002

In some way I look forward to going back to just being a team and not all about ronaldo .

Miss the days of Figo, rui costa, Joao pinto , conceicao, etc

NewLaw83 and overheadkicks repped this.
  9. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Nah, I actually think the post-CR7 era will be the best ever. Mark my words.

Nani_17 repped this.
  10. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know what makes you think that

11. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    better, no better, watching past few games, found myself wondering who will take over leadership role. Usually there is always one guy you see that can take the mantle, hard to tell with this group.

12. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Portugal will go from a "one-man team", led by a superstar, to a larger pool of competent and brilliant players.

Nani_17 repped this.
  13. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    brilliant might be too strong a word, learned to temper my expectations when it comes to Portugal.

14. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Figo conceocao , costa etc would have stomped this Uruguai team

parkben1 repped this.
  15. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So what do we do with Santos?

Did he under achieve here? Greatly, he was too loyal to the EURO 16 core and brought them knowing full well they were out of form. He didn't seem to learn anything from the confederations cup and was too stubborn to try and put something new together. Maybe he just wanted to reward the EURO 16 core? Maybe he thought he didn't have enough time to put something new together? Maybe both? Who knows, but he failed.

I think he at least deserves a chance to compile a new squad and system now that he has lots of time before EURO 2020.

He better get creative and put our best team together this time.

16. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    It’s called complacency. Portugal always have great success in the Euros and it seems that all the managers stick to the same game plan and the same players. When I saw the World Cup squad, I cringe. That Central defense was beyond old but our backs were out of form. The blame lies on the shoulders of the big Portuguese clubs especially Benfica. The urgency to make a quick buck selling our young players have really hurt the growth of our young players. Renato Sanches had no business going to Bayern.

17. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    He stuck with the same game plan, he should have realize that our center of defense was old and also should have kept tabs on our backs. He had no back up plan. If he brought both Semedo and Bruma, they could have been reliable replacements of both Cedric and Guerrero.

18. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Some will be brilliant, some will be competent. We'll see how they evolve.

19. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Guerrero should be placed in midfield (that's where he hones his craft in the bundesliga) and he's just better there.

Semedo & Ricardo should be the fullbacks imo.

Ricardo wasn't given much of a chance to gel with the team. I believe that the more he plays, the more we will see the club-form of him come out.

Cedric? lol, i can't believe he opted to go with Cedric with all the depth we have at fullback. He could have at least made a change there.

20. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    not ball busting, but that is what i am saying, in recent years, apart from Ronaldo....name 1 brilliant Portuguese footballer?

21. futureprodigy88

Jul 13, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Pepe...besides that...none!

22. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I ain't even mad. That was a close match against a tough defensive team.
    When I heard Jimenez was back I knew they'd have the edge.
    GOdin + Jimenez are the heart of the Atletico team that never conceedes and they didn't put a foot wrong except when they doubled up on Ronaldo and Pepe managed to take advantage.

Bernardo Silva finally played well when he finally got switched to the playmaker position and he played really well. Pity about that missed open goal though. He rushed it.

Everybody else played well. Fonte played very well in his tough assignment (Suarez). Even J. Mario played well.

Only exception was Guedes who was totally anonymous again. By far the biggest disappointment.

Nani_17 repped this.
  23. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    To be fair you all know I supported portugal to win the world cup and I am not like the other Italians who wanted you to fail bit to say Italy had an easy route to the final is unfair. Germany was the host and we let in 2 goals in 7 games... 1 was a penalty and 1 was an own goal. We were quality winners.

24. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #699 leadleader, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Listen mate, I generally agree with the main sentiment of your conclusion, but finishing 3rd in a group that consisted of Portugal, Iceland, Austria, and Hungary... That used to be how Portugal qualified to the Euro, that's not what the Euro used to be when those lesser national sides weren't deemed good enough to even qualify, let alone finish above Portugal in the group. So Portugal finished 3rd in a group with non-entities, and Portugal was not eliminated despite finishing 3rd in their group, and Portugal then miraculously avoided all of Germany, France, Spain, and Italy, in the KO stage?? That was quite possibly the luckiest run of results ever at a cup tournament.. Which other Euro winner or World Cup winner not Portugal, finished 3rd in their group and somehow was not eliminated in the group and somehow was rewarded with the easiest Euro KO stage ever??

In conclusion: I have never witnessed an unlucky winner, but even within that context of lucky winners, Portugal's Euro 2016 still very much is an anomaly. If there ever was such a thing as a fluke, that was quite probably it, with all due respect.

Edwardinho and Hulk_Hogan_Italia repped this.
  25. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Buddy, like, what is your hangup here? I consider myself pretty unbiased, at least try to be, Portugal was not the most pleasing to the eyes of sides in 2016 admittedly, but they won, they got by all teams that were placed in front of them, they beat France in their own country, in the final!! like wtf?...They won, it is done with, we are now in 2018, why are you harping on this like Portugals victory was undeserved or lucky somehow? Seems to me you just cant stand the fact Portugal won. They did though. Get over it for crying out loud.

NewLaw83 and theFOOTBALLlover repped this.