PORTUGAL VS SPAIN 2018 FIFA World Cup Group Stage [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    You had Spain on the ropes and let them back in the game. Overall I am happy with the point and I feel Portugal can only get better.
    I wish you would have won because I can't stand Spain.
    I think Portugal and Spain will win the remaining games.. You just need to out score them so you can avoid the hosts

NewLaw83 and Paposeco repped this.
  2. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    If they play like today, Uruguay will not make it out of the group in first.

They were terrible, other than Cavani.

Suarez is out of form and has been so for months. We'll see

3. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And won. And we looked like crap and came away with a point. Both teams are set up nicely to move forward while not playing at their best

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was reviewed it wasnt a foul. Pepe was being soft and it cost us a goal and possibly a win.

Bacalhau repped this.
  5. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree, both teams like to kill the game in the middle. Similar strengths. Their defense is better at this point too, but that can change in two weeks

6. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Though most players had a bad day outside of the goat and William, that makes me even more confident than before as I cant help but feel the others will improve.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  7. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017

JoseEmidio, NewLaw83 and Paposeco repped this.
  8. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    If that isn't a foul, it's muay thai

NewLaw83 and Ramos77 repped this.
  9. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    I think it's better that Iran won

Morocco have to score and push forward.

Also we can now probably afford to lose one of the next 2 games and still make it through on goal difference if Spain beat Iran comfortably.

10. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not a foul, still soft by Pepe, still cost us a goal

11. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Overall, the team started off very good but was unable to maintain the mometum through the game. Still, the resilience capacity of this team is not common and certainly surprised many.
    I would recommend a little indulgence for the trio Bruno Fernandes-Bernardo Silva-GG was quite disappointing but one should keep in mind that a year from now few knew Bruno Fernandes, GG was playing the under21 euro cup, and it's the first major tournament for Bernardo Silva, what was CR7 at their age?
    A new team is being built, and bumps on the road will be part of the process.

12. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #337 Sumol, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    He was playing against spain where our team was sitting deep most of the time and guedes still got an assist lololololol

who aside from Ronaldo played better than Guedes in our offense?

Exactly.

Nani_17 repped this.
  13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Depends on the referee. Any other referee could have easily called that a foul.

If the referee initially called it a foul the VAR would have reviewed it and agreed. They were obviously scared to get their feet wet.

Costa had two bodies in front of him. He should have been stopped.

Pepe had every reason to go down.

14. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fonte started who could have predicted that? I remember hearing it wasn't going to happen by someone new. Kids these days, then again we all used to think the younger guy would start and the tried and tested old guy was for sure gone. That said, now that game one vs the big boys is done Dias might get a look in game 2 or 3 where he needs to be lights out to get a chance at the round of 16 should we advance.

My biggest disappointment here was Bernardo. There was that play Guedes botched that could have set him up maybe given more confidence if he scored but he was invisible for most of the time. He never loses the ball on man City with 2 or 3 defenders on him and here he couldn't get by 1.

Rafael was Joao Cancelo level crossing today, just horrible. Needs to get the hell out of Dortmund.

Moutinho wasn't the right choice for this game, Mario fared much better. Neither was Bruno or Cedric but Semedo isn't on the team so...I guess it had to be Cedric.

William was solid but Bruno and Moutinho didn't really do anything with his distribution.

Rui was good nothing he could do on the goals.

Pepe was fouled I don't care what you think you saw, he headed the ball and got swiped on his throat that is 9/10 times a foul the 1/10 is when the guy being fouled is Portuguese. This ref blatantly missed fouls on Portugal all night and blew his whistle every touch for the precious little boys from Castielonia. Pepe was ok but not up to his standard.

Guedes shit himself when the big moments came. I think if he was on the wing and Bernardo in the middle it would be better for everyone.

Ronaldo...Legend. But all this game did was get everyone to say "see, told you Portugal was Ronaldo only" and you can't disagree he scored all 3 by himself.
    Besides the goal he was everywhere on the field especially the first half. A very good performance maybe his best ever for Portugal.

The subs were really good choices by Santos. Quaresma immediatley grabbed the game when he came on. Mario was soild, Andre Silva was ok didn't make any mistakes.

This game missed Nani and Semedo. Nani is all over the place but when an opportunity falls to him he usually makes it count, Him up front with Ronaldo is still the best attack IMO. Semedo should be the starting RB I have no idea how he isn't even on the team. Something tells me it's about Messi lol.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  15. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Genuinely baffled as to how many of you think Pepe was fouled in the build up to the first goal. It was never ever ever a foul.

Buzzing for cr7 and after the way we went 3-2 when we were dominating, I’m very happy with the fact we got a draw. Plenty to come from this team, especially when Ruben Dias replaces Fonte

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    it's not like you're any different.

17. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Baffling yes, but how it was not called. Leading a challenge to the ball with an elbow to the opponent's face, or any other body part for that matter, is a foul .

JoseEmidio, Sumol and NewLaw83 repped this.
  18. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    So, I wonder if ESPN will change their mind now about seeing Portugal crashing early.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    the crash came in the 2nd half , giving up 2 quick goals. That needs to disappear from PNT modus operandi otherwise ESPN prophesy might become reality.

20. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Nani, really? I think his hey days are gone. If there would be none better I'd understand playing him but that's no longer the case.
    Nelson Semedo played at Confederation Cup and he was horrendous. I know he's worth better that what he showed then, but he will he make something with the new opportunities he'll undoubtedly be given

vilafria repped this.
  21. nickslb14

nickslb14 Member

Oct 23, 2014
    NJ
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Anyway,

Happy with the result, I guess. Still hard to accept we were up 1-0, then up 2-1 then gave up two.

I was so excited with the starting 11, but looking back, I think Fernando Santos risked too much. As good as Bruno Fernandes was against Algeria, this may have been a bit too much for him. Adrien Silva would have been the perfect piece to sloppy up Spain’s tiki taka bullshit. Jose Fonte was also horrible. Diego Costa absolutely clowned him after he fouled Pepe on the first goal.

Rui Patricio - Honestly nothing he could he could do on all three goals. Seemed focused, hopefully all the Sporting BS stayed in Lisboa.

Cedric - I was disappointed with Cedric. Very little offensive contribution which was expected. However, Jordi Alba had a field day. If a RB isn’t providing an attacking spark, he needs to be defensively solid. Ricardo Pereira? It could be a good idea against a 3 man back line to add some more offense on the outside, but it is another risk.

Fonte - Our weakest link without question. Diego Costa made him shit himself. Even the passing was not pretty. Wasn’t capable of swinging the ball around the back line, a lot resulted in passes to Patricio which led to kick up the field and loss of possession. Ruben Dias, its time.

Pepe - Wasn’t at his best. Just happy he kept his cool versus that prick. He’ll pick up the slack next game.

Guerreiro - He played OK. Not the same way he was playing in the Euro, but he’s slowing gaining form.

William - I may be the only one, but I thought this guy was absolutely terrible today. Lots of forced passes that resulted in turnovers and he just couldn’t keep up with Spain’s movement. Looked as though he was wandering around the field with no idea what was going on. Luckily this ball movement won’t be seen often.

Moutinho - Quiet game from Moutinho. Hard for him to do much without possession.

Bruno Fernandes - The nerves got to him. He showed flashes, but not everyone can play against the pressure Spain was putting on. Adrien might’ve been the better choice here with the option to bring Bruno on later on.

Goncalo Guedes - Another one with obvious cold feet. Although, he had a great take down and turn before laying it off for CR on the second goal. CR set him up for a sitter in the first half, but one touch and he lost the opportunity. I think Andre Silva might get the start versus Morocco, but I do think Goncalo’s counter attacking skills is much better suited. We shall see.

Bernardo Silva - This guy’s stamina is just not that good, its a shame. He started off great, but as the game wore down, so did he. It may have been the constant Spain pressure, but we’re going to need a bit more out of Bernardo to succeed.

Cristiano Ronaldo - My goodness. Could not be any prouder of this guy. Spain thought dropping the tax evasion bomb was going to unsettle him? Nope the opposite. We can only hope he didn’t provide all his goals in one game.

Quaresma provided his typical Quaresma spark we all love. Joao Mario is the best average player there is. Doesn’t do too much, but does enough to contribute. Andre Silva won a couple aerial balls but don’tnthi he touched the ball too much.

My line up for Morocco:

————————Patricio————————
    Ricardo——Pepe———-Dias——Guerreiro
    ————————William————————
    —————Joao Mario—Moutinho————
    Bernardo—————-CR—————Guedes

I’d like to see Gelson come off the bench in this game. Another very good counter attacking option.

But I hope its a long 5 days until then. My nerves need a break lol.

22. figueira

figueira Member

Feb 8, 2007
    NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I also thought the same, his passes were mostly very short left and right. Never anything up the field and he also looked very slow. Very disappointing and probably why Spain had so much possession and picked Pepe and Fonte apart.

dipluso repped this.
  23. figueira

figueira Member

Feb 8, 2007
    NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't think Santos will go with Dias over Fonte. Dias only played in the first game of the friendlies and is too young to play now, with so much at risk. They need to win the next two and hopefully outscore Spain along the way. Maybe Santos will use Gelson instead of Bernardo for more of an offense.

24. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I disagree. Did Pepe exaggerate? Absolutely. But its still a foul like the one Nacho did against Ronaldo.

SCP_16 and trebaruna repped this.
  25. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    100% agree here.