PORTUGAL VS RUSSIA 2017 FIFA CONFEDERATIONS CUP [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 19, 2017.

1. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    True but poor first touches and would lose the ball quickly when he did have it.

2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Was only
    Able to catch second half , but hey first time we won in Russia so good result .

Our midfield looked more secure . Andre silva really helps our ability in the box.

Hopefully we can score a few vs New Zealand , but we should be good for the semis now

3. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gurreiro is at the hospital getting an xray on his ankle for a suspected fracture.

4. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watched at a soccer bar in Manhattan, a few Russian guys sat nearby wondering how Portugal could possibly win tournaments.

Liked all the changes to the lineups, just the variety. I suspected Russia was overpromoted but it was a home game for them. Overall encouraging in my view.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  5. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    That's a huge blow for us.
    As much as I like Bruno, with him and the old man at the back we are screwed with a team with pace up front.

6. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We were play so defensively that Gelson did not register. Similar to Bernardo, Bernardo was playing more of a 8 or second right back for most of the second half. When he went to Monaco for more than half a season he was playing like a number 8, that is what I was impressed about, his work rate in the second half defensively. He only got beaten once and did the right thing and got a yellow. Santos ( a defensive coach) I think was impressed with this (or he should be). I think Bernardo will be rested against New Zealand and start in the semi-finals (if we get there).

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We are stuck with Eliseu. LOL.

8. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Good points
    I stand corrected.
    Maybe I was a little too premature with my assessment.
    For the record, I like the kid, Bernardo that is.

9. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    He's like an ugly girlfriend or wife.

You know you gotta dump her, but until something better comes along....

NewLaw83 and trebaruna repped this.
  10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Changing your mind when something more reasonable comes along is a sign of intelligence, part of the problem in this world is that there are too many burros (don't want to learn sh&*t). Been wrong plenty of times.
    :thumbsup: He seems to be a genuine nice guy (but look at Bill Cosby, I was shocked, he has got away with it for now).

11. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    I'm the first to admit that l don't know much about football.

12. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Aaaaaand...now I feel like a genius. Mexico is very Portugal-like in its ability to play ugly against teams it should handle. Still plenty of time for it to turn the match around.

13. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Sucks for Raphaël, 2 serious injuries this season already :(

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I say use him as a 3rd CB and don't let him attack. We should be ok until we face Chile.

15. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Maybe Eliseu will pull his Vespa out and fly up and down the field.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  16. Correia

Correia Member

Dec 5, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Was this at Smithfield? I watched a few of the Euro games there last year there and there were little to no Portuguese fans when I was there.

17. Miguelito ooh moshmoose

Sporting Lisbon
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    Excellent controlling first half. What great skill and movement with Bernardo, Andre Silva and CR7. Bruno & Pepe were rock solid. BBC was also solid with and without the ball.

Too bad we didn't capitalize on a few 2nd half chances to put that away early.
    Russia showed very little but if they play with 2 up front vs. Mexico they may give them a go.

Time for new blood to work it's way into the starting 11 once again. Bring on Pizzi, Neto, and Semedo!

On a side note just caught some clips from the veloso- meireles midfield years...I threw up. Then saw almerda up front and threw up again. Just think of how blessed we are at this moment!

18. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Dude, WTF? You trying to get us all to throw up? :p

nbstriker8 and ---Z--- repped this.
  19. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I like that idea. Even the playing field.

20. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #145 Sumol, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    BERNARDO SILVA has the best tactical awareness that i have seen in my entire life.

Should have cost Manchester City 120M.

Everyone that was defending his omission from the squad = cagoes.

Very proud of Santos. The man in the blue suit nailed it with the squad. I think he reads my posts.

21. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #146 ---Z---, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Ive seen posts comparing us to past defensive Germany and Italy teams, people dont like the way we play. I dont really know why, we have a lot of technical players and play smart usually.

I will take it as a compliment, as those teams have plenty of trophies.

I think our 2004 loss to Greece was the catalyst for making our mentality stronger, and we have generally become more cynical since. We will never be Brazil 1970, more smart for us to Play like the old Italy teams as we have similar technical and physical qualities and dangerous strikers like CR7 and Andre Silva.

Spain was boring when they won the WC in 2010, they even lost a group stage game and won every game by 1 goal. They were the least impressive winner of a WC i've seen in my lifetime. Yet everyone loves them and hates Portugal 2016 at the Euros. We didnt lose any games, and scored NICE goals (I.e. Sanches v Poland, Ronaldo v hungary and wales, and Eder vs France).

William Carvalho is amazing and only those who understand football appreciate him.

JoseEmidio and BatatasFritas repped this.
  22. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Big blow if its true no Raphael...

I think that will mean Andre Gomes will keep on the left side of the midfield and be forced to defend more to help Eliseu.

also means Santos is more likely to stick to 4-4-2 for the above reason. Ronaldo and Eliseu on the same side is an open highway.

23. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A.Silva really seems to look like what we have all been waiting for in a striker. If it wasn't for brilliant saves from both Ochoa and Akinfeev, he would have improved on his already impressive goal/cap ratio. Very sad about losing Raphael, but keeping hope Eliseu will be motivated and play above his ability.

JoseEmidio, BatatasFritas and ---Z--- repped this.
  24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That has always eluded me. It's probably because our players don't look as european.

There is no other explanation.

25. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So far with Santos we beat Italy, Argentina, France and Russia (in Russia) all time trouble teams for us.

JoseEmidio, BatatasFritas and NewLaw83 repped this.