PORTUGAL VS MOROCCO 2018 FIFA World Cup Group Stage [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2018 FIFA World Cup
    Group Stage
    Wednesday June 20, 2018
    8AM EST

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here we face a team that we have only faced once before and lost to on the biggest stage.

The first 20 mins of their game vs Iran they looked leaps and bounds better and lost unfortunately by an own goal.

4. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    What a brutal goal that was. It would've been the perfect header if it was at the other net. I laughed so hard at the time, but I feel bad for the player.

5. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I was really hoping the Iran/Morocco game ended in a tie, as now Morocco will be very eager for the win.

Given how our defence played against Spain, it isnt something i am looking forward to considering Morocco has a ton of technical ability moving the ball. The downside for them is they lack a true finisher.

The plus side to this.. We missed a lot of opportunities on the counter which at the time.. seemed like a for sure goal.. will we really miss these chances again? its possible.. but surely we will bury 1/2 of these if Morocco pushes for the 3 pts.. leaving their defensive line exposed.

I am expecting nothing but the 3 points..

Bacalhau and NewLaw83 repped this.
  6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    that player has the best back story too. Something about running away from his shepherd nomadic family, washing dishes, and doing odd jobs to support himself... I may be mixing up his story with an Iranian who was a carpenter 4 years ago I don't remember but great back story. Very unfortunate.

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's this attitude that always comes back to haunt us. Portuguese never learn.

We are favorites and should win sure... Do we expect the points, like Morocco is going to hand them to us? No, let's show a little respect especially since Portugal is the one nation you can count on to run out of ideas when teams bunker and get caught on a set piece.

I hope we play how we did vs Spain with more confidence to hold the ball more intensity to press for the ball on defense and a couple of guys gaining stepping up to help Ronaldo. NFT

NewLaw83 repped this.
  8. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly. I hope Portugal play with absolute confidence against Morocco.

9. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I am not sure i understand the issue you have with what i said...

Given the situation heading into the match v Morocco, with both teams ultimately needing a win, and lack of finisher on the Morocco NT, and great counter ability we possess.. I am definitely expecting the 3 pts..

Look, if we can not take 3 pts from Morocco and/or Iran in a must win match.. we were never going to win the WC anyways when going up against the likes of a Germany/Brasil/Spain in a knock out match.. plain and simple.

There is a difference between being confident and analyzing the situation, and believing we will get the 3 pts just because they are from Morocco and we are Portugal..

So yes, again, looking at the situation and how things have unfolded after the 1st round of games.. i am expecting the 3 pts.

jec1 repped this.
  10. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed, jon. We're the better team, talent wise. I expect a WIN. Spain was the toughest match for us and we drew.

You fear Morocco, GD? You can't have that mentality. The mental game is so important. Play hard and compete!

Or we can employ our second gameplan: Ronaldo pulls a Lebron act once again but i can assure this team will get better with confidence, and Santos will have this team prepared, he's a bull.

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #11 GoodDead, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Do I fear Morocco? No.
    What I fear Portuguese entitlement attitude, it has always blown up in our faces.

"play hard and compete" is not expecting a win or part of the mentality I am speaking against. You contradict yourself there.

12. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference between fear of an opponent and respect for an opponent.

We must respect Morocco and their challenge. I think this is the easiest game of the group; but I'm a fan. The players must go in fighting to win not assuming they will just show up and win

GoodDead repped this.
  13. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Morocco is a team based on offensive play, feed and individual skills. The keyword here is "individual'. When thinking Morocco, think street football, think Brahimi: good skills, pace, great when inspired but more often than not isn't. Also not a team player and undisciplined.
    Bringing speed to the defense is a must to avoid sour surprised against. Morocco will rush forward as they need a result to stay alive in the competition, and because they are too impulsive to have a more pragmatic approach to the game. If Portugal can be solid in defense and midfield, there will be plenty of room to score.

14. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You have such bad energy.

15. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We play down to teams, lots of people do. But infrequent opponents we are usually highly prepped for. I have little care for most WC teams but Morocco and Iran I actually like, except they're in our group.

Zandi360 repped this.
  16. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No, bad energy is celebrating group stage wins like we won the whole thing. Bad energy is "expecting wins" bad energy is mocking commentators that say we are just Ronaldo plus 10....guess what? That "energy" already bit us on the ass game one. They were all proven right it was Ronaldo plus 10.

I been supporting this team my whole life and much like many here was so sure we had 2002 in the bag so sure we had the 2006 final in the bag, so sure we would beat Germany in 2008 and I was there at the Euro 2016 final and had a good feeling we would win (but kept my mouth shut about it) because all tournament we didn't say jack shit and didn't act as if anything was in the bag and finally had the right energy.

Go celebrate 3 points vs Morocco all you want, I'm not until we earn it.

JoseEmidio and theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Anyway, I think this game is where Dias should get a look as well as maybe Andre Silva up front as Guedes made "Nelson Oliveira" like mistakes that Ronaldo can't stand where as Andre generally knows what to do when he gets a chance.
    Also, Cedric may take a breather as he had a really poor outing. Other than that maybe Adrien to start over Moutinho as the Moroccans like to start off fast and then sub in Moutinho if needed once the pace plays more to his game.

18. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Unban Z he should be here for the world Cup, he was banned for defending Portugal.

19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Z ain't coming back, he's in mexico.

And GD, I agree, positive energy but 2016 we struggled in group stage and would have been eliminated by old format.

Nonetheless i think CR is a machine and he will carry us. I see it in his eyes.

20. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Morocco will open up for sure in this game. It is in their nature and they have no choice anyway.

Iran gives me Greece flashbacks. More solid than i thought they would be against Morocco. Looked dangerous on the counter too.

21. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Iran defends well. To me, that game has draw written all over it. Gotta take advantage of Morocco Wednesday

22. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    This is a must win game but we need to be smart and patience. I love what Santos is doing with our team. We have developed a never give up attitude right to the end of each game. It helps that our captain is a real life super hero. Hopefully our supporting cast is over the first match jitters and score some goals.

dipluso repped this.
  23. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You know what's weird, Ronaldo is the guy but at the same time just another guy, if that makes sense. His haters think he needs to get all the touches and resents teammates success, total bs if you've watched the guy. The team is one unit, that is clear.

24. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That is true. He needs teammates to pass him the ball and play along. Remember when Queiroz was the coach? That was just a waste.

25. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That ban expired in early March.

Either he walked or mouthed off on DM's (not the first time) and earned himself a permanent ban.

I'm hoping he walked and is biding his time for the reZurection season 2 but I also wouldn't put it past him to be dumb enough to get a perma ban.