PORTUGAL VS MEXICO 2017 FIFA CONFEDERATIONS CUP MATCH FOR 3RD PLACE[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 29, 2017.

1. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It looked like javier hernandes was crying at the end

Kid is really emotional

2. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure where you, but where I live is as mexican as it can get outside of mexico and we have little to nothing to do with them, not that it's a good nor a bad thing. What's up with all the recurring self-depreciating comments on here?

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think he is better than Pauleta but so far that is only evident when Ronaldo is on the field.

He's a decent forward but not great and far from World Class. Milan will not play him much unless someone in that team can provide endless sitters like what Pauleta had in PSG.

4. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Personally I feel with A.Silva we are taking a pretty big step forward, so I can't understand the complaints. He has more upside than any striker we have had for a long time, that alone should make us happy. Do I think he will become world class? Probably not. His move to Milan also scares me, but if he becomes more clinical which no reason to believe he won't, than we have a good one on our hands. Many of the complaints we have about his finishing come as a result of him knowing how to and getting in those positions in the first place.

5. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't even think Silva can score sitters at this point.

6. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's not me, It's how the American/British pundits see us. Portuguese get treated in Europe how Mexican's get treated by Americans.

7. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    He has 8 goals in 13 appearances for Portugal, and he's 21.

8. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When it mattered, he was a no show. Sound familiar?

GoodDead repped this.
  9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Lol what. Portugal played this entire tournament without a true #10 and sorry ass Andre Gomes. What did you want?

10. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Ramos77 repped this.
  11. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When did it matter? The game vs Chile? In which case Ronaldo also didn't score, or for that matter neither did Vargas, Sanchez or Vidal. Does that mean all those guys are now no good. Or maybe in the first game against Mexico, in which he came in for Nani and forced a great save from Ochoa which was more than Nani did in 70 minute's. Or maybe the bronze medal game somehow means a lot to you, where he earned a penalty and did take it well, but perhaps let the scouting report get the best of him. Please further elaborate what "when it matters" actually means. Because as of right now he has a better minutes/goal ratio over everyone else, and he's 21.

All I can say is, thank God Santos is the manager and clearly sees the clear and apparent positives he has.

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Many of you seem very confused.

A.Silva for me is a starter and a very good forward. He is not in my mind a true striker, he is just someone to play off Ronaldo. He will score goals but he will not be the guy to score a goal out of nowhere when we need one badly. Or bury the one decent chance he gets a game. He is like Pauleta/Postiga but not like Nuno Gomes who was the closest thing to a true striker we've ever had. He has a lot of upside but for me the search for a true striker continues while Portugal continue to play with a false 9.

13. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    is this a joke?

Huge qualifier vs Hungary at home and he scored one and brilliantly setup ronaldo with another

Vs Switzerland he didnt even start.

Here if it wasnt for two huge saves he would have had a couple more goals.

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Spain came
    3rd in 2009 confederations cup as
    Euro champs then won the following WC

I believe still .

But , santos needs to see the issues here and I think he needs to take more risks in certain situations. At least in the World Cup I'm sure if we get to a shoot out we will be properly prepared. I doubt they trained them in this tournament.

Maybe some new talents will emerge over 2017-18 and contend for a spot. Hopefully a defender like Ruben semedo .