PORTUGAL VS MEXICO 2017 FIFA CONFEDERATIONS CUP MATCH FOR 3RD PLACE[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 29, 2017.

1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Game over. 3rd Place.......

2. D-Money136

D-Money136 Member

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Jun 28, 2017
    Was it a clear penalty?

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No it was 50/50 challenge. Only a moron would call that a pk.

What a shit show this was.

4. Kroosinator

Kroosinator Member+

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Entertaining game both teams went hard out and it's only for 3rd place ..

5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    One of the best 3rd place game I have watched, but Mexico vs Portugal games are always good, we match up perfectly.

6. D-Money136

D-Money136 Member

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Jun 28, 2017
    The Spanish broadcast was saying penalty maybe it was because they where mexican idk.

This Portugal team needs an influx of young talent.

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Patricio man of the match for me.

I see Pizzi getting praise??? LMAO for what?! Absolutely horrible throughout.

Gelson was great up until the Mexican goal then he disappeared.

Neto blew another opportunity today a soft own goal.

Eliseu was pretty decent today.

Andre Silva is Pauleta part 2...cant get anything going as the main focal point.

All and all very disappointing showing but at least we didn't lose to Mexico.

8. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Didn't watch the game but you gotta the passion Pepe shows. You can tell this man loves Portugal.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  9. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have to admit, Eliseu did a solid job filling in. I hope one of the main things Santos took away from this, is Nani and Moutinho are no longer an option.

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think the amount of games is what some in Nani and Quaresma. Moutinho was good.... But we need great from him. Bernardo should be in the middle

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We are looking like moving to 5th in the World Rankings after this tourney. If we win out to make the World Cup we will get our first ever seeded spot in that tournament

NewLaw83 repped this.
  12. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    #62 trebaruna, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    I agree, Pizzi is good in Portugal against weak teams, but he has no business being in the national team. Andre Silva still has to come a long way, but he's only 21 I think people are expecting too much from him at this point. Nelson Semedo is no match to Cedric, he didn't look himself.
    I think Neto did a good game, he was unfortunate on that OG. Eliseu quiet lots of people. Pepe is more instrumental than CR7, IMO. It's the end of line for Moutinho, Quaresma and Nani.
    Overall, even with a second line team Portugal proved to be much better that a first-choice but crappy mexican side. Still, we wasted too many chances, including a PK. Mexico nearly won the game without doing nearly anything. A loss to mexico would have been as humiliating as unfair. Fortunately, the players didn't give up and were fairly rewarded with the 3rd place.

13. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    The mexican telecaster on Fox sports sounds like he's intellectually challenged.

14. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most unlikely hero's in Pepe and Adrien Silva got it done for Portugal

JoseEmidio repped this.
  15. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pizzi was not good but he had energy and ran around a lot a bit like Adrien B (as in not as good). Killer penalty from Adrien, remember when people were doubting him, a very useful player who always gives 100%.

Semedo was also a disappointment but then I though Cédric a year ago was not that good either, he has come on nicely and Semedo will do the same and has bigger potential, in my opinion.

Eliseu, has kept on confounding his critics including me, good display, fine acting skills not as good as...

Pepe, what a monster, best CB in the last decade? Garra

Patricio, Mexico's goal was on him not Neto, basically Patricio did a dummy on the goal line, fine display otherwise.

Neto, ok better than Fonte right now.

Quaresma, super-sub extraordinaire

I personally, think we had a very good tournament, we only lost to Chile on penalties and they are double South American champions and only lost in the last WC on penalties. We finished on a high, Santos has made us a team that never gives up, we must never lose this edge and it must become a given for our Seleção long after Santos is gone.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  16. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    We could not ask more from Eliseu. He got the job done and proved his haters (myself) included, wrong.

Patricio was the man of the match. He made all kinds of saves today. Kept us in in.

Pepe was once again a beast. Great defending and tied it up too.

17. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    21 competive matches and one defeat. A defeat that came in a game without Ronaldo away to a decent squad that we still outplayed. They may hate us, but this team won't be easily defeated by anyone.

19. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Weird, weird game. Both teams went out hard from the start (weird for a 3rd place game). We dominated throughout the game until they scored. We had chance after chance after chance and couldn't score. Then, when we were playing like crap we score 2 goals...
    Nani was the worst on the pitch by a mile. Not only did he miss point blank headers from the 6-yard box twice (!) but we lost the ball over and over again.
    Quaresma was also in "bad Q" mode when he came in. He was absolutely garbage until he finally decided to take it seriously for one good cross that Pepe unbelievably managed to get to.
    The rest of the team was petty decent except the finishing was abysmal. Pizzi easy shot from the middle of the box completely uncovered - misses the goal. Couldn't believe it. Gelson's header from the 6 yard box was at least on target ... but right at the goalie. Later, controls a nice pass from Andre Silva but slices it horribly when a simple shot across goal would have be a likely goal (i.e. Nani was wide open for rebound). Nani... needs to see a shrink.
    Patricio played great. I don't blame him on the goal - tricky always when the striker has a shot at a crossed ball like that. That save in the 1st half against Chicarito was world class and he saved another ~2-3 one-on-ones in the 2nd half because of how quickly he came out. Very good game.
    Pepe was great too. Absolute clutch goal - and not an easy one either - my son said he looked like Zlatan out there. Got a little lucky on that push that could have been a PK but it was a veteran move - enough contact to mess with the striker but not so much as to give ref an easy choice. With review, however, I wonder what would have happened...

20. D-Money136

D-Money136 Member

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Jun 28, 2017
    Anyone seeing the final? Chile has been the better team in this match but they're about to lose the final to Germany 1-0

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Germany win based on brutal Chilean mistakes. They will be praised despite winning on sheer luck, while when we use strategy are the undeserving Euro winners.

No business winning the U21 or this tournament.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  22. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Yes Chili had more opportunities enough to have scored more than 1 goal. Germany did the kind of game I was expecting Portugal to do, except they managed to score 1. Interesting also how the telecasters were praising Germany's "pragmatism", and how ball possession "is a misleading statistic". In different games, with different opponents the same telecasters spoke differently about having a defensive approach to the game.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  23. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Their goal was a total gift and the commentators act as if it was strategy.

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No 2021 Confederations Cup because the bribes that win the WC for Qatar didn't cover continuing tradition.

The fact that none of a nation is still allowed to host the WC is a slap in the face to sport, logic, and justice

25. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    It was. A gift. Other than that, the Germans weren't able to create too many chances. Yet, the general opinion will always be biased in their favor.