PORTUGAL VS IRAN 2018 FIFA World Cup Group Stage [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Anyone else watch Queiroz's post match conference? That was a disgrace. Time to revoke his passport. What a cry baby.

Lisboa<3 and NewLaw83 repped this.
  2. overheadkicks

overheadkicks Member

G.D. Chaves
    Portugal
    Feb 14, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We could do that and be an ok/decent team, or we can grind these games out and maybe actually win this. This group isn't going to win playing how you yearn them to along with the casuals and pundits. We do however have a chance replicating our Euro 16 run and I think Santos knows this. Were not a shit team and thats why it can work. We are a team that needs to be careful. Ill take a win over a compliment in the world cup any day of the week.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  3. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He has nothing to complain about after he got that free penalty awarded at the end of the game. The referee was so indecisive when he was looking at it on the screen (Which tells us that his original call should have stood firm - no penalty)

VAR was getting way too involved in this game.

I am the biggest Cedric critic on here but how on earth are players supposed to jump? His arm was in a natural position given what his body was doing.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  4. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Queiroz today became a bit ch.

This game today was his way of getting back at the FPF for giving him the boot.

Too bad he lost.

5. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    Did you see Fernando Santos and Queiroz after the match, it got pretty heated. Santos was not happy. Watched the BBC post game and they all felt that Ronaldo should have not even gotten a yellow card. They thought the penalty was a travesty. VAR is a farce and don’t work, it ruin a great effort for Portugsl. Portugal played a great game, gave up a few opportunities and control the ball 72% of the game.

NewLaw83 and dipluso repped this.
  6. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London

This is too cruel. Click on the picture link above for the FPF's simple - AND CORRECT - overview of what is and what is not a hand ball.

mars078 and trebaruna repped this.
  7. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    He was simultaneously trying to jump and being held down by the Iran player pushing down on his shoulder for leverage. Literally everything about that play points to no call from the fact that it's never a hand ball to the common sense fact that it barely grazed Cedric's arm and didn't truly impact the play (it lands at Pepe's feet either way). The ref was like one of those Twitter users who thinks they know a lot about the sport and also thinks the rule states if the ball touches the arm/hand it is automatically a hand ball 100% of the time, which is obviously not the case.

JoseEmidio and NewLaw83 repped this.
  8. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    I stand corrected

9. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I’m from Uruguay. Not over confident at all, most Uruguayans are actually very realistic about the national team. We know either of Spain or Portugal would be extremely tough. Both squads are pretty even. Will be a real battle

JoseEmidio, NewLaw83, Paposeco and 2 others repped this.
  10. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yeah the dude votes against CR7 every year out of spite and didn't even vote for F Santos in 2016.

Lisboa<3, NewLaw83 and dipluso repped this.
  11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    You guys are cool in my books. May the best team win

nbstriker8, JoseEmidio and NewLaw83 repped this.
  12. nickslb14

nickslb14 Member

Oct 23, 2014
    NJ
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bittersweet feeling here. Still a lot to be determined but looks like we've given ourselves the tougher path to the final. Santos said that some of the players looked tactically lost towards the end and I completely agree. It was 75th minute and Cedric/Raphael were still sprinting up and down the touchline, almost as if they thought it would come down t

Patricio - Solid game, quick off his line. Couldn't do much on the PK which was placed perfectly. Did a great job at the end closing down the angle of the shot that nearly sent us home. Got a bit lucky that set piece resulted in a header right down the middle...

Cedric - This poor guy. Plays his heart out for the NT every game. So unfortunate that this BS VAR system causes a phantom call to be made. Hope he's ready to cut in and help out Pepe and Fonte a bit more come Saturday.

Pepe - Monster as usual. Played better today than versus Morocco, thankfully. Most Portuguese non-Portuguese person there is.

Fonte - This guy makes me shiver in fear any time the ball is near him. To be honest, wasn't terrible today. I can only hope that Ruben Dias has been getting molded in practice to eventually take over in these knockout stage games...

Raphael - Better, I guess. Still a shadow of himself from Euro 2016. Counter attacks seemed to primarily come from his side. Not completely his fault though. Still can't fathom the idea of a CM (Joao Mario) playing wing for us. Need someone that can get up and down the line to back-up Guerreiro.

William - I can't put together a summary for Williams play. He's great then he's awful then great. His distribution is fantastic. Puts the ball perfectly on anyone and everyone's foot. His speed is abysmal though. He recovers a few balls here and there but he has no aggression in his game to be a CDM.

Adrien - My MOTM. Set up RQ with cheeky backheel give-n-go. Guy did a little bit of William's job and a bit of Moutinho's job in one showing. He had the aggression but also had some attacking prowess. I think we need to solidify our midfield by starting both Adrien and Moutinho. Allows Moutinho a bit more attacking role. I'd expect Bruno Fernandes to take over this role eventually.

Joao Mario - Started off pretty well, but progressively got worse as the game went on. Needs more playing time at club level and its obvious. Rony Lopes would've been a much better option than an out of form Joao Mario.

Ricardo Quaresma - Offered us great width to open up Iran a bit, but as usual began to die down after the first half. Made a few plays here and there, but I'd still much rather him come off the bench. Fantastic goal, think it was key in our result being that it was just before halftime. But dude needs anger management classes. Got fouled and immediately went to retaliate. Can't have that Ricardo.

Andre Silva - Not much to say, very average performance. There wasn't much he could do though, Iran played 11 men in the box. Held up the ball well, but I think his purpose was to try to get on the end of a Quaresma cross which he was unable to do.

Cristiano - Ai capitão, capitão. We'll blame this game on the Iran hooligans outside the hotel. Fortunately the missed PK didn't cause us to miss out on the R16. Could have definitely gave us a more favorable matchup, however, we should hope that he saved today's goals for Saturday.

I think Fernando Santos took way too long to make changes. Glad he took Quaresma off before he did something boneheaded. Moutinho should have been brought on for Andre Silva much earlier to help solidify the midfield. Same with Guedes. Raphael needed help along the left side and Joao Mario isn't the type of player to get up and down the line.

On to the next round boys :thumbsup:

BatatasFritas, NewLaw83 and dipluso repped this.
  13. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    Analyst on the BBC which included Gary Liniker, Alan Shearer, and Didier Drogba all said you can’t call a penalty on a guy who had his back to the play. I felt the referee was intimidated by the Iranian players and was pressured into giving that penalty.

14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'm glad they get it. It was an embarrassingly bad decision by the ref on every level. I hope he enjoyed his day because he'll never call a World Cup match again. He had no control of the match and obviously doesn't have what it takes to interpret plays in retrospect and slow motion via video.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  15. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I also can't fathom why we needed VAR to call the clear-as-day PK for Ronaldo?!

NewLaw83 repped this.
  16. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Nobody likes Queiroz in Portugal. He was a horrendous coach for the NT and he's still at it: whine whine whine - that's all that guy does. Best thing the FPF ever did was find a pretext to get rid of him.

NewLaw83 and parkben1 repped this.
  17. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Toronto FC / Santa Clara / benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Respect you are from a real and great football country. Not like Iran whose fans talked so much crap about us .

NewLaw83 and overheadkicks repped this.
  18. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Everyone on twitter is saying this game will be violent and full of cards

19. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Italy fan? Glad to have you in our side, we run the six (6)

20. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    NewLaw83 repped this.
  21. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Spain are allowed a goal by the VAR during the last minute of the game at the same time this ref decided to use the VAR to screw Portugal. They needed Spain in the easy side of the bracket.

Incredible that they called that a PK. Weakest thing I’ve ever seen.

But Ronaldo shouldn’t have missed the pk

JoseEmidio, overheadkicks and NewLaw83 repped this.
  22. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think some of the Iranian fans have taken on his persona over the years. Lol

23. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I think we will get past Uruguay if.......Santos can figure out what the hell out best system is and what players should start.

Id use the same defence but u gotta switch up Silva for Guedes, and I think Bruno for Mario and I love Mario, but he just isnt offering anything at all this tournament. I would go with Bernardo as well because honestly without him stepping up and or guedes or Bruno, we arent going anywhere. If they step up we have a chance. Ride or die.

24. Chop thug

Chop thug Red Card

Portugal
    Jun 19, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Chop thug ratings

Rui Patricio - 7 - solid game , had no chance with the penalty
    Cedric - 7- he was solid overall got robbed by ref
    Pepe- 8 - monster bro. Period.
    Fonte - 6.5 - steady nothing spectacular
    Raphael - 6 - didn't stick out much
    William - 7 - solid overall, dude is a beast and i bet he's slaying some Russian vag
    Quaresma -9- man of the match , thugging it and didn't take shit from no persian
    Ronaldo -7- missed penalty, average game
    Joao Mario -6- started well then fizzled out
    Adrien silva -8,5- really good game from
    Him. He doesn't look like a thug or tough guy but he was beasting mans
    Andre silva - 6 - was he even on the field bro ?

Chop thug

25. overheadkicks

overheadkicks Member

G.D. Chaves
    Portugal
    Feb 14, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's like they hired him 8 years ago specifically for this very game.

Joao Bibliotecario and NewLaw83 repped this.