PORTUGAL VS CHILE 2017 FIFA CONFEDERATIONS CUP SEMI FINAL[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 24, 2017.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I feel like after 20 mins if we attacked instead of playing for a Ronaldo counter we would have won 2-0 or 3-1.

Santos is a very good tactician, very pragmatic. But he shouldn't have given Chile that much respect after they showed they couldn't get the ball off of us when we played for short passes. We could have lived in their half playing keep away and decided to play long and bunker waiting to release Cristiano.

VS France or Germany or Spain fine. VS Chile on paper sure, VS Chile after those first 20 mins? No it was green light for attack time and we didn't and got what we deserved. It's like the Russia game first half total domination could have scored more than one, second half play for counters and pray for our lives.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed.

Once we started Adrien (despite his great workrate) the tactics were plain for all to see. Massive amount of respect for the opposing team. I did not agree with it right off the bat. As i stated in my original post, he should only start against the Germany's and Spain's where pragmatism is key.

On paper we are much better than Chile, the majority of them still play in South America. That has alot to do with why we looked so superior when we played for short passes. There was a sizeable drop off in quality.

3. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I've been in Portugal on holiday
    So I've been posting less

Ppl here were following this tournament more then i expected

However , from
    People I talked to I can say I noice a change since euro2016. People have less of a defeatist and pessimistic attitude , many have high expectations for 2018.

RedBullSeven repped this.
  4. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If we ever face Germany again in the upcoming World Cup, then I hope it's the final. For some weird reason, I'm very optimistic when Portugal are the underdogs.

5. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Portugal Germany is a likely 2018 final

People might laugh at that , but in the last 20 years Portugal has been one of the most consistent international teams reaching latter stages of tournaments and have broken their trophy duck now.

Nani_17 repped this.
  6. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Only the ignorant, or as you put it, the angry white men laugh at that. If the brackets align for that possibility to exist, why not. We have to stop being pessimistic and just accept we are simply one of the best teams in the world right now. Our younger guys will have another year of experience under their belts.

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal can't beat Germany. Let's just lay that one to rest. They can beat almost any other nation, but they won't beat the Germans. Hell, imagine if France had Mbappe, Benzema and Kante in their starting lineup.

8. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Why do you say that? Our young core gave their young core 5-0 at the Euro U21. I'm sure many then would have said there's zero chance our U21 would put 5 past Ter Stegen.

While I obviously don't think we'll be putting 5 past their senior team any time soon, they are certainly not unbeatable, as France showed at Euro 2016, who we in turn beat.

If Portugal is on their game, and if that includes CR7 being on his game, then Portugal can beat anybody. No question of that whatsoever. If Fernando Santos wants to keep pulling a JJ with his invencoes and starting Nanis and Andre Gomes then I agree with you.

---Z--- repped this.
  9. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What could of been. Still have a good chance for a WC run.

Also Portugal ranked 4th in the world

Força Portugal

10. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Good chance for a run? Y'all aiming too low. This team is already better than the one that won the Euro and should continue to get better up to next year. Hopefully the likes of Joao Mario and such can have better years at their new clubs. He was sorely missed this tournament.

We have our best generation ever plus our best player of all time in the final stages of his powers, anything less than semis would be a huge disappointment. Personally, anything less than a final because not in our lifetimes will we again have a stacked side plus a GOAT in the same team. Very unlikely.

11. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As much as I agree with you, there are a lot of teams with quality too, not to mention Brazil and France looking to bounce back from defeats on home soil, Italy who will eventually get back to being competitive, always strong south american teams etc

For me the finals is a real long shot, semis ehh maybe

We all want Portugal to go deep, and I know we can, but we shouldn't underestimate some of the great sides in the world and I doubt we will get lucky enough again to be on the side of the bracket with only 2nd-3rd tier European teams

CDPontaDelgada repped this.
  12. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Nah. If there was an all time squad like the Span 08-12 team I'd agree with you but that isn't the case as each major NT have shown weaknesses in recent times. None are fullproof and given that we have a GOAT in our team and our best generation our expectations should be high.

Does that mean I consider Portugal favorites for the final? No, but I do know that if it doesn't happen this time around it likely isn't happening any time soon.

Edit: Not to mention we're European Champions. Time to act/think like it.

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    France IMO is a little bit overrated. I dont see Deschamps ever sealing the seal but they do have a good squad. The problem with them is that they don't have a Zidane or Platini to lead them.

I personally rate the WC contenders as 1. Germany 2. Brazil (yes, Scolari is gone) 3. Portugal 4. France 5. Spain / Argentina / Chile / Italy all around the same chances IMO.

England - LOL

14. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Basically fully aligned but Spain ahead of France for me, maybe even us. France couldn't get it done at home, they ain't gettin it done elsewhere. Chile could probably take them.

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #290 ---Z---, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Spain 2010 really wasn't that impressive. they had no real competition in that tournament, with most international teams being fairly weak. Germany did not peak yet and Brazil cagou'ed to a scrappy average netherlands side. Italy's era of mediocrity kicked in, following their excellent squads from 1990-2006, and France was also at the end of a cycle. Objectively, their win was perhaps as "unconvincing" as Portugal in Euro 2016, but of course the media didnt portray it that way. Failroz's Portugal gave them a hard time, and with VAR that goal may not have counted. this was a team with hugo almeida leading the line, and veloso and meireles in midfied. Paraguay outplayed Spain for much of the quarter final. Switzerland beat them in the group stage. Netherlands missed 2 or 3 break aways in the final.they might be the weakest WC winner Ive seen but they stood out in a weak tournament overall. the fact they won two euros on either end cements their status as a legendary side. I think they were more impressive in 2008 and 2012. in 2010 they just showed up and lazily got the job done, which is commendable still.

Portugal in 2018 can be very strong, but I dont know if Santos has the balls to take risks. Our defence looks to be on the decline, and I think to succeed a more adventurous and attacking approach may be necessary and that doesn't suit Santos strength.

16. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Understand your reasoning but disagree completely for the mere fact that it was composed of players that won not only an unheard of 3 international tournaments in a row but were also fulcrum to similar historic achievements at club level. Such a thing is neither common or random. Those dudes knew how to just get shit done.

On Santos, I'm hopeful because he knows his best team at a given time. He had no issue starting Cedric and Fonte against Croatia after they didn't play all group stage. Started Bernardo in the Confed Cup eventually.

But I'm afraid his invencoes might continue although clearly he knows he has something to reflect about now. He's done this "start with experience" thing these last two tournaments. Playing players clearly in worse form just because they're experienced. Bernardo not immediately starting in the tournament, so a guy like Nani can embarrass himself on the field, was a bad move any way you split it.

He needs to be more aware of his talent pool because Portugal did not have to play it safe against any team in any of these group stage games. In the Euro it nearly cost us elmination and in the Confed Cup it caused us to start badly, which in turn set up bad momentum for the tournament and consequently pissing me the ******** off.

He tries pulling some shit like that next year and I'm flyin to Moscow and pimp smacking him

JoseEmidio, verde-rubro and ---Z--- repped this.
  17. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree, just like I said when you look at the 2010 Spain team in isolation they did not win very convincingly .

but yes in the wider context, they are one of the greatest international sides in history.

18. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Brazil will never win again. Not with a Brazilian coach. Street tactics are out-dated.

Trust me, they are a cagao waiting to happen.

benficafan3 repped this.