Portugal UEFA Coefficient Thread 2017-18 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: Clubs' started by um_chili, Aug 25, 2017.

1. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, late summer. A time when schoolchildren drearily head back to the books, and hurricanes head menacingly toward Texas. But it's not all bad news: The UEFA competitions have also started, and with them new hope that Portugal can undo their truly stank performance from last year.

This year, after the qualifying rounds, Portugal is left with five teams in European competition. The Champions League has the big three: Porto, Benfica, and Sporting. The Europa League will feature Braga and Vitoria Guimaraes. Maritimo made it to the final round of EL qualifiers but fell to Dynamo Kyiv, 1-3 on aggregate, though they did draw the Ukrainians in Madeira.

The CL groups shook out like this for Portugal:

Group A: Benfica, Man United, Basel, CSKA Moscow. Benfica is actually the top seeded team in this group. Man U is a tough draw but if they can't finish ahead of Basel and CSKA, they don't deserve to advance.

Group D: Juventus, Barcelona, Olympiacos, Sporting. Ouch. Juve and Barca look to be the clear favorites. I'd love to see Sporting pull some upsets, but in all honesty if they can get max points off the Greeks then make an EL run that would not be a terrible outcome.

Group G: Monaco, Porto, Besiktas, Leipzig. Pretty evenly matched group, with Leipzig the wild card. It's a hard one to read honestly; I could see Porto cruising to top of the group or crapping out entirely.

EL draw tomorrow, will update about that.

And as things currently stand, Portugal is tenth so far in 2017-18 on 3.166 points, already behind $&^%&ing Russia, but it's way too early for these numbers to mean much. The somewhat good news is that we got five of six teams through to the group stages. The story is much the same as most years: What would help the most would be some consistent performances from all five teams, plus a couple deep runs in either tournaments. We shall see.

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Braga and Guimaraes didn't get easy draws. And the way they've been playing they won't get out of the group.

It might be a good thing this year for the big 3 to go to EL.

3. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK so here's what we got:

Group C: SC Braga, PFC Ludogorets 1945, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, Istanbul Basaksehir

Group I: FC Salzburg, Olympique de Marseille, Vitoria SC, Konyaspor

Braga's group doesn't seem insurmountable, though as always with EL I don't have much of a sense about these teams. Ludogorets is a Bulgarian team that's done very well of late, getting to the group stage of the EL twice. Hoffenheim has been improving in the Bundesliga recently; they got to the final stage of CL qualifiers before losing to Liverpool. No idea what to make of the Turkish side.

Vitoria's does seem harder. L'OM is not the power they used to be, but they and Salzburg are solid mid-high table teams from their respective leagues. Again no clue about the Turks.

I'd be happy for Braga to make the elim rounds, and Vitoria to get some decent points while bowing out. If Braga were joined in the EL by 1 or even 2 of the CL teams at that stage it might be the best strategy for point accumulation.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Braga's isn't easy. All 3 were trying to get into Champions League, the Turkish side would've knocked out Sevilla if they didn't hit the post in the 90th and have a lot of money. Braga will have to improve

JoseEmidio repped this.
  5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That bad...

6. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No easy groups so we will have to work hard else we might have another dismal European campaign before WC 2018, in Russia.

7. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maritimo got a really bad draw against Kiev, so there is no shame in going out 3-1 away and on aggregate, SCP, FCP or SLB would of struggled against Kiev even if they might of got better results.

verde-rubro repped this.
  8. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Ran away to a new thread eh Sock.

keep running.

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    spot on
    do we get the points for the 2nd round were maritimo drew away and won the home leg?

10. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Prediction for Um_Chili's next update:

"shitz fukd boys"

11. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah pretty much. Unless you're SCP. To review the mostly putrescent results of the first week:

Benfica 1-2 CSKA Moscow
    Olympiacos 2-3 Sporting CP
    Porto 1-3 Besiktas

So yeah, for Benfica and Porto that's about as bad a start as you can imagine--losing at home to possibly the weakest team (on paper, of course) in the group. About the only positive thing to say is it's early days and one result doesn't consign you to certain failure. But it certainly puts pressure on future games. And in the overall Europe classification, dropping full points at home to a Russian team is pretty much the worst thing we could do in the effort to keep up with or overtake them.

Props to SCP though for an inspired game against Olympiacos, though even they almost managed to screw it up very late on.

Maybe better stuff in the Europa League tomorrow. Braga plays at Hoffenheim, Vitoria hosts Salzburg. Not a lot of info about those foes, so no strong opinion about the outcomes. Then again, I thought both Benfica and Porto would take full points so what the F(*&*&%^ do I know?

For what it's worth, we're 10th overall in Europe. But way too early for that number to mean much.

12. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, running? Son, I've been on the BS since 2002, been starting these threads for like a decade. Never occurred to me all the data crunching would offend anyone, but I'm not inclined to stop, so my wise counsel would be: Don't get mad, bro, just appreciate my knowledge. You're welcome!

13. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Sporting has potential to make the Quarter Finals. They will win the league this year.

Benfica is pure trash this year, for obvious corrupt (LFV-related) reasons.

I am extremely surprised with Porto's performance today although it dispels the myth and exposes the reality that Porto too is rotten to the core. That club is relic of what it was, the amount paid to Casillas to shit his pants in the net is disgraceful.

Porto is definitively out. RB Leipzig & Monaco are another level of Beskitas. If Besiktas are blowing out Porto at home then it is lights out.

Benfica can maybe shit their pants into the Europa League.

um_chili repped this.
  14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sporting has Barcelona and juventus in their group.

They probably will win the league but we say that almost every year lately and it doesn't happen

15. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to disagree with any of this. I'm somewhat more optimistic that Porto can right the ship and edge into the Europa League. They probably don't pack enough of a punch to make any sort of dent in the CL anyhow. Their group is pretty weak. Benfica is likelier to crap out entirely, IMO, though it's still early on.

Sporting seems to be on the best form, though it's hard to see them getting past either Barca or Juve. Stranger things have happened though. But with their win against Olympiacos, they'll likely have the inside track to the Europa League, where I hope they can do some damage.

16. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoffenheim 1-2 Braga

Nice one. Away wins to German teams in European competition are incredibly rare for Portugal so this is one to be appreciated. Let's hope Vitoria can get it done at home against Salzburg.

17. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vitoria 1-1 Salzburg. Not a bad result. Salzburg has done well in the EL in the past. Couple of decent results make this week respectable in terms of points but Porto and Benfica's performances are still worrying. We're actually 8th in Europe at this early stage, though Russia is 4th

18. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    5 Portuguese teams in Europe and its the former European Cup winners that shit the bed with home losses. It's official, Porto and Benfica are the Estorils and Pacos De Ferreiras of this year's Portuguese Euro competition contingency.

19. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    even Maritimo did more than benfica and porto this season

20. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I share the general dismalness about Benfica and Porto after this week's results, but it's early daze, y'all. Still 15 points on the table. One result does not consign a team to failure in a four team group with five games left to play. Not to mention that as part of the overall scheme of improving Portugal's UEFA status in Europe, this outcome was not that bad. W2-1D-2L. Not a blockbuster week but could well be worse (and has been).

21. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Thanks for the informative posts as always.

Yes the Benfica and Porto results were frustrating, but its not over. I remember Portuguese teams making trips to Russia and winning, it all depends on form. Both those groups are closer than Sporting's group so they can make a comeback.

Impressive win for Braga though. I think Hoffenheim got overconfident but merit to Braga on the win in probably the toughest match in the group for them on paper.

um_chili repped this.
  22. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Saw the game, after Braga went down 1-0 I expected the worst but some missed chances and Braga being more clinical got them a great away win in Germany, Braga's defense was horrible though. J.C. Teixeira scored btw.

um_chili repped this.
  23. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Troll or serious?

24. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2 draws and a win

25. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Porto and Benfica already contributed 4 points each. Maritimo on 2 points.