Portugal.. moving forward

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Jonathan Pimentel, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I know this is going to be very unpopular opinion. So feel free to rip on me...

but, in my opinion.. i really feel Ruben Neves has not proven a single thing, and to this point is a bit over rated.

He has success in 2nd division England. He has looked very average in the EPL, and when playing for Portugal.. he hasnt lived up to the hype in any way, shape or form. I realize he is young. However, this is a golden age of Portuguese talent, and we can not sacrifice it to 'groom' a potential future super star in Ruben Neves.

I just feel he isnt always confident in his decision when passing the ball, and as a holding midfielder, it all begins with him. Not only that, but defensively i find him unconvincing.

2. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :speechless:

because its been discussed quite a bit here about our left back quality

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Gotta disagree, I remember good performances from him in the Nations League, and an assist to Rafa from deep in midfield.

I think maybe he has outgrown his current team in EPL and needs a better challenge. He might develop faster if given a chance with a top coach and team (i.e. Guardiola and Man City).

Also the guy is not exactly that defensive anchor that we all are used to seeing, but rather a deep lying playmaker, hence the comparisons to Xabi Alonso.

D_Jota repped this.
  4. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Honestly, the second i finished writing it, i knew the first person to respond would bring up that assist to Rafa from midfield. Infact, it went over my head as well initially.

I mean, your right, it was a beautiful assist, but it isnt like he is doing things like this on a game to game basis. It was a one off. From my view point, i have seen Neves give up the ball in dangerous areas WAY TO MANY TIMES, leading to very good opportunities for the opposition. Although he may not be a true 'holding midfielder' that is still the space he is occupying, so whether he likes it or not, he needs to be held accountable and responsible for his carelessness with the ball at times.

You may be right though, about outgrowing his current team, surrounding himself with not only a better coach, but better supporting cast who will also make him better too. You stated Pep, and thats where he is rumoured to be heading.. so we shall see.

5. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Juventus and S'Hampton have not used Cedric and Cancelo at LB because F.Santos called them up and asked them to experiment for the good of the Portuguese NT. The lack of depth at the NT in this position is irrelevant to their usage at LB for Juventus and S'Hampton. This leads me to the question, why are they being used there at their clubs? i find it interesting.

6. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    This year, Portugal has won the UEFA Nations League and the Euro Beach Soccer League.

And Sporting has won the UEFA Futsal Champions League.

7. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is that young lad that scored last night against spurs in the champions league Portuguese?

8. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Yeah, he was just called up to the NT by Santos for the Serbia/Lithuania matches.

Daniel Podence was one of my favorite young Portuguese players when I watched him at one of the youth Euros a few years ago. He's still just 23 years old and obviously due for a move to a bigger league.

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Will be keeping a eye on him

Took his goal well

10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    One of the players that rescinded with Sporting last year... surprised you don't know who he is.

11. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That’s right.
    Like I have said b4 I do not watch the league any more unless Marítimo is on can’t stand the big 3 and their bull shit with the league and refs in their back pockets

12. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He was called up for the Serbia and Lithuania games, but then they sent him back to make room for other squad members.

13. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Joelson Fernandes is a Sporting youth player who plays left wing. Mark my words, he will be a mega star.

I believe he will be better than Felix.