Portugal.. moving forward

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Jonathan Pimentel, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We massively outshot them but that was one ugly game of football.

2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He's really not. He's mediocre. Been saying this over and over but palhacos like @SCP_16 kept saying how he was infinitely better than Guedes.

Guedes can match him and is better in the air and that's not even his natural position.

I'm not saying Guedes should be the #9. I'm just pointing out that Silva is mediocre.

3. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    How was RUben Dias with Pepe?

4. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He's Victor Lindelof.

Good on the ball but defending he's a little green. I caught him marking nobody at times.

5. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Guedes isn't a forward and is played out of position.

6. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Agree, he's an out and out winger and should be drifting in from the left/right wing

7. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    even with ronaldo hes useless. Unless its against faroe islands/andorra etc

Just having a look at his goals scored for portugal....all euro fodder teams and only a single goal against good opposition (switzerland). Porto robbed milan

8. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well done on the A.Silva hating guys. :ROFLMAO:

D_Jota repped this.
  9. D_Jota

D_Jota Red Card

Wolverhampton
    Portugal
    Jul 30, 2018
    12 goals in 20 competitive games for Portugal.

7 goals in 8 for Sevilla.

What a loser, he just keeps getting lucky over and over and over and over.

I guess when you aren't flashy it's hard to get noticed.

Jonathan Pimentel and RedBullSeven repped this.
  10. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Some people only see golazos, which is why Bruma scoring only on beautiful goals once every blue moon means more to many people than the simple-looking goals Andre scores with regularity.

11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon

He is scoring goals regularly ... now.

No doubt he's having a good run. Good on him for improving. But last year he had a really tough time and even at Porto he didn't exactly break any records.

I can speak for myself that when he was at Milan and not getting chances I was thinking he might turn into another promising player that flopped like previous strikers in the past we have had.

Don't forget there was a time he was missing sitters. Now he's finishing those chances, he's showing he's matured.

12. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He has always delivered in the NT. He's not a clinical finisher, but his movement is great and his link up play is excellent.

He's exactly the type of player to play with Ronaldo, like Benzema was.

13. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Stop hating on bruma, he makes things happen. I always believed in him even if he spit in the face of Sporting for greater pasture, he obviously is too good to be left off.

Andre Silva before the nt was a scoring machine, he just need time to develop. Cancelo, another blossoming player who everyone said was average. Gotta just develop.

14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'm not against Bruma, just skeptical of his overall quality/impact. He has talent to spare, but it takes more than that. He has played a nice role for Portugal in the Nation's League, but he hasn't made it off the bench in a Bundesliga match in a month and a half.

verde-rubro repped this.
  15. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    X2

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I respect your opinion but didn't peeps say the same thing about Cancelo? He wasn't good enough. He does possess talent, he just needs his chance to shine.

KING BRUMAAAAAAA!

17. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bruma would be a lock for me in the NT, but not starting yet. He's a great card to play when needed, to come off the bench and shake things up. I don't think he'll be a superstar but it's great to be able to look at the bench and see solutions. Quaresma is getting old and we need impact players (even if with different characteristics).

Are we the deepest we have ever been in terms of existing and upcoming talent? I think we are.

18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal has never been this deep in so many positions. There were times when we were deep in the mid or wing. A little while we had a lot of good CBs but besides a starter for CB with Pepe and bench options at striker we litterally have too many to choose from right now and the youth prospects coming up are very promising.

Let's not forget the current starting RB's for Barca and Juve weren't at the World Cup a few months ago. Can Semedo play on the left at all?

19. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    This fact alone makes the mind reel...
    And Cancelo has been completely on fire for Juve.
    Semedo is also a live wire at Barca (and, I believe, pretty well liked).
    And let's not forget that we have the 19-year-old Diogo Dalot - probably our best teen player for the last couple of years - also waiting in the wings...
    Hopefully one of these guys can be tried at the left-back alone.

20. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Speaking of the left side:

Raph came off the bench to score twice for Dortmund against Atletico today. Regardless of whether or not he plays LB at the club level, if he can just find a way to stay healthy...

21. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Rafael Leao scores for Lille in his first start . Hopefully now that he's healthy, he can establish himself. He'll definitely be called up by Rui Jorge for the U21 playoffs against Poland in a few weeks.

https://streamable.com/7iwxn

Lille might be a good place for him, they're 2nd in France, on pace to be in the Champions League next season. Plus Leao is surrounded by fellow Portuguese players like Jose Fonte, Rui Fonte, Xeka and Edgar Ie.

22. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    João Mário score 1 great goal and gave 3 assists in today's Inter game. For someone who had 0 minutes in the current season until the previous game, it looks like the man is back to live. Let's hope he keeps up with his new found glory and catches some club's fancy to get the hell out of Italy.

23. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    William Carvalho was a beast in Real Betis's 4-3 victory over Barca at Camp Nou. It seems like he's barely moving but it's like he has the ball on a string:
    1061986651738660864 is not a valid tweet id

24. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Concelo and Cedric been playing left back the last couple of games now and Cedric with a nice free kick today to make it 2-0 in the 1st half v manure

25. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yeah, whats up with that?

I mean, i personally have no issue with Mario Rui. He plays well for a top rated side in a world class league. That being said, the Guerreiro experiment is over. If Cancelo can play LB, and Semedo RB, i would take that option over Mario Rui any day of the week.