Portugal - Iceland (R)

Discussion in 'Group F - Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary' started by nirvaanfc, Jun 12, 2016.

1. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://footballfutbolcalciosoccer.blogspot.com/2016/06/euro-2016-preview-group-f-portugal.html

Portugal enter the tournament on fine form, with the best attacking player at the tournament (Ronaldo) and an experienced central defensive pairing and goalkeeper. The midfield is an intriguing mix of talented known quantities (i.e. Joao Moutinho, Nani, Quaresma) and some truly gifted up and coming talent (i.e. Andre Gomes, William Carvahlo, Joao Mario, Renato Sanches). They are favourites in this group undoubtedly.

Iceland tailed off a bit after a truly fantastic start to qualifying, their squad should boast great team chemistry given frequency of playing as a group. Portugal still should have enough in this game for an opening win.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Euro 2016 officially kicks off with this game

lets be honest here, this whole tournament is full of garbage and everyone should just thank themselves they are in a same tournament as CR7, because none at this cup is even close to his level.

and folks will be surprised at Portugal this year, we are far from a one-man team as people seem to think, especially with the emergence of new talents.

Lahmfan repped this.
  3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Quaresma being injured means Nani will start even though he has been in bad form. Likely squad

-----------------Patricio--------
    Vieirinha--Pepe-Carvalho--Guerreiro (hopefully)
    ---------------Danilo--Moutinho-----
    Mário-----------------------------------Gomes
    ---------------Nani-Ronaldo---------------

Many unknown names to many people. But Guerreiro, Danilo, Mário and Gomes have been making a name for themselves in the French, Portuguese and Spanish first divisions and could well move to bigger clubs sooner rather than later.

As far as Iceland is concerned can't say I know much but their qualification has surprised almost everyone.

4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Our weakest links are the side defenders:

NAME------ATTACK-----DEFENSE

Eliseu----------OK------------OK
    Guerreiro-----GOOD-------??????
    Cédric----------OK-----------SHAKY
    Vieirinha------BAD-----------OK

Midfield center we have lots of depth. Needless to say I don't care much who gets injured/suspended because we will always have a proper replacement.

On the attack front, Quaresma impressed a lot with his driblling and lethal crosses but due to muscle pains will most likely miss this match against Iceland. With Bernardo Silva not in the squad due to injury it will fall to Santo's 2nd favorite Nani, despite Rafa being touted a better option.

If Iceland counter-attacks through our flanks and long passes behind our high defensive line (with R. Carvalho/José Fonte on the slow side) then they might have chances to put one past us. Nani in XI most likely means that he will be easily nulified. He's even a shadow of his inconsistent self when in M. United. This might mean good news to Iceland since C. Ronaldo will have little service if we resort to early crosses. It'll fall down to whose side defender starts and offensively good he is and if João Mário or André Gomes can cut through the middle.

Most likely XI:

--------------------------------R. Patrício---------------------------------

Vieirinha------------Pepe------------------R. Carvalho---------Eliseu/R. Guerreiro

---------------------------------Danilo--------------------------------------

--------André Gomes--------Moutinho----------João Mário------------

---------------------Nani--------------------C. Ronaldo-------------------

5. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    How can you be more than a one-man team if everyone other than Ronaldo is supposedly garbage? ;)

Lahmfan and evil_allan repped this.
  6. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is Vierinha really the favourite to start at RB? I figured it would be Cedric.

Really excited to see the midfield play, saw Joao Mario at last year's Euro U-21 championship and while he was impressive, have heard he has taken quite a step up this year. Andre Gomes seemed shackled all year with Valencia, will nice to see him with a more confident (less chaotic) team.

7. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #7 raviept, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Just to add, I am confident in the depth of Portugal's midfield, but that will only take us so far. The CB's are experienced and very good inside the area, but they are a bit slow. The SB's are relatively good while attacking but average at defending, so the midfield will have to do a great job covering them up. The attack is clearly the weakest section. Quaresma is Portugal's greatest hope for having some creativity up front. André Gomes is also capable of that, but it will be tough for him to deliver against a solid Icelandic block. So, essentially, I think the game will come down to how inspired is the Portuguese attack and how capable Iceland will be of taking advantage of Portugal's aged defence. Don't expect a match with many goal chances.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one's for Cristiano Ronaldo...

9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    What a chance by Siggursdon

11. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Every time Ronaldo complains take a drink. Won't make it through the match!!

evil_allan and White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  12. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Iceland a bit disappointing so far. Portugal look good.

13. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50'

1-1!

ICELAND GOAL!

Lahmfan and Mikebsiu repped this.
  14. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ronaldo is not happy!

Lahmfan, ShortyMac and evil_allan repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do have the Austrian feed and they're not happy either as of the display of Iceland

16. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Wow, Iceland have been under siege tonight. They can't even get over the half line.

17. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    What a finish here!!

18. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: 1-1.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two upsets today!

19. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    I'm not upset at all. [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

20. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hoping for iceland and Hungary qualify from this group.

21. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Lack of character. That sums up Portugal's performance tonight. We usually start with the left foot in any major tournament but this is too embarassing.

As expected the goal came from one of our side defenders, in this case Vieirinha who was piss poor throughout the game. I hope Cédric gets to see some minutes. João Mário should prolly be given one last chance against Austria although I would be fine with Adrien playing over him.

All in all, deserved draw for Iceland. If Portugal play nervously like this again against Austria, then bye bye Euro.

22. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Just curious, are most people in here happy about the result because they dislike Ronaldo that much? ;)

I'm neutral on the result, just wanted to be entertained. I thought the game was a little better than what I thought it'd be. It's pretty cool for Iceland, they must be celebrating like crazy right now!

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think you guys played well. No display of complacency as you insinuated. It's always going to be tough when the opponent comes out with foam at the mouth. and dont forget that it was Iceland to leave Holland behind in qualification

24. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bad defending by Vieirinha/Pepe cost us the game. Portugal have been getting many 1-0 results and for this to happen the defending has to be good. Pepe also had a bad game overall. Mário was disappointing. Moutinho needs to be benched. Ronaldo was not good enough.