Portugal 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup Catch All

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Patricio was blatantly time wasting just before extra time expired against France and the ref called the game as soon as he booted the ball when he should have added extra time for Patricio's time wasting. That is just one example. but i noticed other things as well throughout the tournament.

The refs had clear instructions and to be honest, i love it. Each fifa president always has a side, better it be on ours for once than have it be blatantly against us like in Euro 2004.

2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Patricio wasn't time wasting. You see much worse in any Portuguese league game lol.

Portugal is the main faviorite for the CC , the betting sites all give us the shortest odds. Never seen this before in any tournament .

You know what that means . Prepare yourselves for a giant cagao

3. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Honestly, i feel if Pepe gets healthy and remains fit (he trained today with the ball which is great news), then this is a team who should win this tournament.

I say this with all due respect to the other nations, but, the biggest competition is Germany (even with a back up squad) and Chile. We would not meet either untill the final.

In regards to betting sites, i am considering a small wager of a few hundred $$ on Portugal to win for a nice return.

4. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Right when Patricio kicked that ball and the whistle blew, Infantino's face popped up into my head and i let out a grin. Let's not lie to ourselves, we have Infantino pocketed. He gives the refs instructions not to help us blatantly, but subtly. Which is perfect.

I don't think we will need a hand in this tournament. This is just a wonderful opportunity for CR7 to add a FIFA trophy to his museum one year after winning the EURO. We're not going to lose. We're even better than last year.

In a wierd way, this trophy is more prestigious than the world cup due to its nature in being so hard to qualify for.

5. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #180 ---Z---, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    If the refs were helping us we would have been awarded penalties against Poland and Wales which I remember we had potential grounds for (can't remember if it was Wales or Croatia actually )

Also no card for taking cr7 out of the final is still ridiculous.

The confederations cup is harder to qualify for but it is a short tournament , 5 games max. Germany isn't bringing their best team. Honestly if Portugal doesn't win it is a cagao.

Actually it's harder to qualify for if you do it by way of being European or world champions. Teams like Mexico , New Zealand /Australia, and Argentina / Brazil have it easy. Oh wait that cagao Messi still could not win a copa America when Brazil has been the worst it's ever been for the past 8 years LOL

I think Russia and Mexico will give us trouble .
    New Zealand is also the type of team to complicate things for us . We should definitely make it out of the group tho. A game against chile in a knockout would be tough. Germany would still be a challenge , they bringing a young team but they are capable .

6. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree, there is no option here but to win. I don't see any other outcome where CR7 doesn't put this trophy in his museum to be honest.

We'll win.

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Chile is a pretty tough team though.

8. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Very much so. That German team could end up being better than your first choice squad too. Some insane depth.

9. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The German team being better than the world cup championship team is massive hyperbole

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  12. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That team wasn't even THAT good. Come on, Argentina was giving them hell ;)

13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm expecting a cagao against Mexico

Portugal never wins opening games in tournaments. Our success rate is probably below 20 percent

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My predictions

Portugal 1-1 Mexico
    Portugal 0-0 Russia
    Portugal 6-0 New Zealand

Semi finale

Portugal 1-1 Germany (5-3 PK)

Final

Portugal 0-0 Chile (4-2 PK)

Portugal campeao da taca confederacões

16. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Portugal will score more than that.

I can't see a scenario where CR7 doesn't get at least two hat-trick's to be honest. He's going to stamp out the year at this tournament so don't expect him to just sit idly by.

This (again) is the year of the super sexy Portuguese play-boy.

17. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nah... Appreciate that you think that though. I honestly have no idea what to expect from Germany this tournament. Some good talent on the squad, but Löw has been sounding like winning isn't even really a priority. Says there's going to be lots of rotation, characterizes it as more of a "try out" than a tournament. Wouldn't be surprised if we're strong, but also wouldn't be surprised if we're pretty disappointing. Hopefully the players are hungry and want to impress.
    Argentina was a tough nut to crack in '14. Sabella did well to secure them defensively.

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To be fair, it's not like the team was a scoring juggernaut in the Euro. I'd expect Santos to be pragmatic and lean towards defence again.

19. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was being sarcastic. It was a dig at @nbstriker8 because he loves Messi & Argentina.

Possible but on paper we're simply better than we were at the euro, it all comes down to who Santos starts. Bernardo Silva shockingly did not see any playing time against Latvia which worries me in offensive terms.

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Silva might be a better fit as a supersub to break open a game in Santos' mind. Portugal is at its best when it is a stout counter team IMO, and Bernardo might not jive with that ethos.

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal never wins when it rains the same day in Toronto for some reason and its expected to pour on Sunday. You can all thank my cousin for that jinx.

verde-rubro and ---Z--- repped this.
  22. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You are right but in qualifying for euro 2016 Portugal was winnning games by one goal always.

Since the euro we have been pounding teams in qualifying

The main reason imo is the rise of Andre silva. He has adapted to santos team like a glove and developed great chemistry with ronaldo

23. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's true ,

It was raining in Toronto during the euro 2004 final and I remember on other occasions (think the loss to USA in 2002
    And the 4-0 loss to Germany in 2014)

24. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I said midfield spots are competitive now

Not long ago meireles and veloso were locks to start. They couldn't get near the team today .

It's on Bernardo to show he deserves to start . He hasn't done much so far other than a goal against Andorra .

25. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no affiliation with argentina. Portugal and USA for me internationally, thank you.