Portugal 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup Catch All

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jul 22, 2016.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I know a guy who can get you a ticket.

2. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    So after watching Madrid and Ronaldo win the champions league again last night, I noticed something.

I think the system they have and the players they have, Portugal can emulate. Just hear me out.

In defence Madrid's fullbacks are very similar to what we have. Raphael I am by no means saying is as good as Marcelo who is the best LB in the world. But Raphael is a similar player and I think is one of the best LB's in the world, albeit he hasn't played in that position this year for Dortmund. But still a similar player, if you watch Marcelo player for Madrid, does it not look very similar to the way Raphael plays for Portugal, they both impact the game in similar fashion.

At right back Cedric very much reminds me of Carvajal. They play the game the same way, very similar styles. People say Carvajal is the best RB in the world, but hes not spectacular in any way. Hes just very solid, hes good defensively, he's good offensively, hes solid and fits there system perfectly. Cedric isn't special in any ways, he's just very solid, same attributes as Carvajal and plays the same way, I think he would be great for Barcelona to be honest.

At CB obviously you have Pepe and Fonte so its not as solid as Ramos and Pepe/Varane but still a good centreback partnership.

Up front on Madrid is Ronaldo and Benzema, I could argue that maybe Ronaldo and Andre Silva are a better partnership. But very similar for Madrid and Portugal.

In Midfield Casimero is a solid player, I don't know if you would say Danilo or Carvalho are a big drop off from him. I actually really like William Carvalho and he is definitely the best passer of the 3.

In place of Isco for Portugal you have a playmaker in Bernardo Silva, they have similarities although I think Bernardo is maybe a better playmaker. But again in the Portugal system emulating Madrid Bernardo Silva is a great fit.

Luka Modric is a phenominal player, by no means am I saying that Moutinho is on his level, he isn't. But he is a very similar midfielder, very shifty, great control of the ball, great passer. Moutinho to me is a poor mans Modric, a great player just not elite like Modric, but very very similar style's of play. A very good fit for this Madrid system I would love to see Portugal play with, which they kind of do to be honest.

We don't have a Kroos in our team. It is either Andre Gomes or Joao Mario in that midfield role. I prefer Joao Mario right now but maybe Gomes can grow into that role, he still has a lot of potential, and has such great size, we will see how he progresses with Barcelona. The wildcard for the World Cup will be Sanches, hopefully hes a starter for Bayern next year and he can take maybe Moutinho's spot.

But all in all you can see there are quite a few similarities to the player's and system Madrid uses, to the players and system Portugal can use to emulate.

Therefore for the confederation cup this is how I think Portugal should lineup.

Patricio
    Cedric Pepe Fonte Raphael

Carvalho

Bernardo Silva Moutinho Mario

Silva Ronaldo

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pretty sure that will be the lineup Santos goes for.

4. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Same here I don't see him going any different

5. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    That's unfortunate but we have enough depth to overcome this loss. I'd have a midfield 4 now of Carvalho, Moutinho, Gomes and Bernardo Silva.

7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Joao Mario is the perfect player to play in midfield with William/Danilo and the other CM

Superior to Andre Gomes, Adrien, Moutinho, or Pizzi.

I guess now it will be a William/Danilo-Adrien/Moutinh-Andre Gomes trio

I would just play Bernardo Silva behind a front three of Ronaldo-Andre Silva-Nani (Gelson as impact sub)

nbstriker8 and ---Z--- repped this.
  8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So who gets called up? Rony Lopes missed out on the U21, would be a good bench experience.

Or will Eder get another chance to come off the bench?

9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They aren't calling anyone to replace him, CC permits
    23 man squads and we called 24, with one to be dropped before the CC, so Mario it is

JoseEmidio and GoodDead repped this.
  10. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thank you

Too bad most observers don't appreciate Joao marios reliability , great first touch, and tactical strengths. He never loses the ball and works hard. He was unheralded at euro 16

11. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mario is a tough loss.

We might need Infantino to help us out again a little bit.

12. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    We will probably find out tomorrow who starts the first game in the confederation cup. I am sure Santo's will be putting his preferred first team out tomorrow for the Latvia game.

I predict:

Cedric Pepe Fonte Raphael

Carvalho

Bernardo Moutinho Gomes

Silva Ronaldo

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Really pumped for confederations cup

14. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Amen, me too. It'll be interesting to see who emerges from the confederation cup as a lock for starting for Portugal in the future. Has Nani's time gone as a starter now with Ronaldo and Silva up front. Will Bernardo Silva lock down the spot occupied by Gelson in the Latvia game. Will semedo have a chance to displace Cedric. Joao Mario is a big Loss but having Moutinho to replace him makes it a little easier to take. I'd like to see a midfield of Carvalho, Gomes, Moutinho, and Bernardo.

This coming season will be interesting as well. If Coentrao regains his form playing regularly with Sporting and doesn't suffer injuries, then maybe Raphael moves to his club position in midfield for Portugal and we have a midfield of Raphael, Carvalho, gomes, and Bernardo silva.

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bernardo silva hasn't shown much in a Portugal shirt

It's on him to make his mark , the confederations cup is his chance

JoseEmidio repped this.
  16. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Really hoping you guys win the confederations cup. Portugal seems to finally be playing up to their potential. I think they can win the confederations cup and be a threat for the World cup.

JoseEmidio, OndaVerde, NewLaw83 and 2 others repped this.
  17. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thanks for Infantino, man. It's what the football world needed.

NewLaw83 and ---Z--- repped this.
  18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Infantino is Swiss ;)

19. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    True

Infantino is always pictured with figo, mourinho, mendes, and fpf people

No wonder euro 2016 we didn't get as many bad calls against us like in prior tournaments

Expecting a easy draw at the World Cup, hopefully Wales makes it and we play them on the semi final would be lulz

20. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched Mexico last night with an eye towards the game on Sunday. They play a 4-3-3. Lots of skill in their lineup but nothing Santos won't be able to gameplan for. Vela against Rafa will be interesting but I'm sure Santos will have Adrien or Gomes cheat to our left hand side in defense.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  21. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mexico will be hard , they are quick but if we play intelligent and William has a good game we should edge it 1-0 /2-1/2-0 I feel. This is of course assuming cr7 doesn't go buck wild and settle it himself which let's be honest is the most likely scenario.

Too bad Sanches isn't on the team . I feel like he would own Mexico.

Hopefully William
    Plays in slow motion but still dominates to troll everyone

JoseEmidio and nbstriker8 repped this.
  22. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    US almost beat them yesterday. Bradley with almost two golacos. Mexico's style of play is long balls and crosses into the box. They get exposed on the counter attack.

nbstriker8 repped this.
  23. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly Sanches would be perfect for Mexico.

24. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are quick on the counter but we know William will stay at home and Santos will prepare the rest of the midfield for the counters.

25. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't put much stock into how US does against Mexico

USA goes all out on Mexico, they go angry white men on them just like Germany does against us (Portuguese are sort of like the Mexicans of Europe )

Mexico will give us a hard game , the lawnmowers / construction workers of North America against europes equivalent

USA usually kicks our ass too

Hopefully we get to play Wales Croatia , Poland, and some more eastern euro teams at World Cup and we will be campeoes for sure