Portland

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by uscue13, Nov 17, 2010.

1. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that FC and the Sol are gone this is moot, but it seems Portland would be a great Western city for a club. LA, Bay and Portland should have been inaugural teams to help keep the Western teams afloat with closer travel partners to compete against. The city of Portland has embraced soccer at both the collegiate and professional level. Look at attendance numbers annually at Merlo Field. Draft a few Pilots and you have a built-in fanbase of over 3,000 fans.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) Maybe your questions are best asked in the expansion sub-forum.

B) I'm fairly certain that only one thing is required for WPS to grant a city an expanison team. A very wealthy owner willing to take the > $2mil losses per season on the front end. If Portland (or any other city) has a deep pocket ownership group, then they'll be able to start a WPS club.

C) My specific concern about Portland (were they to even have a deep pocket owner) is market over-saturation. Would Pilot soccer fans turn out frequently enough in the summer for a much less established product at a higher cost?

eta: maybe a nice mod will move this thread to the expansion sub-forum...

3. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Unless Portland ownership is willing to pay for all travel to the West, I think WPS will try to solidify their financial standing and then expand Westward when more teams can be financed.

4. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's the same I see. WPS will be an East Coast league for now.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i may not like it, but if that's what it takes for the league to survive - more power to them.