Portland Timbers Fans Are Un-American Scum

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Kahuna412, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Kahuna412

Kahuna412 New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    "FC! PT!" during the national anthem today against Seattle? From a former Marine and an avid Philadelphia Union fan: you un-American commie pinkos need to learn proper respect for the flag and the anthem. Your team is not bigger than the flag. You should not win another game until you learn how to conduct yourselves. Dirtbag scum.

2. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall hearing them doing that. They were singing and doing the 'tsch' thing with their scarves.

3. TreeRings

TreeRings New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Lulz. As a former Marine you should know that everything you see on TV isn't as it seems (or were you at the game ... if you were you'd know what really happened).

In the normal course of starts of games, the TA (and most supporters groups for that matter) chant or sing while the teams enter the stadium. PTFC was the TA chant today while the ECS was singing something unintelligible (to me at least). Typically after both teams line up at mid field there is an announcement to "please rise and remove your hats and join ____ (singer's name here) for the singing of our national anthem". Today someone gave the anthem singer a premature go ... before the last of the Sounder's players had even lined up (I assume you'd have the same criticism for Dempsey ... what an un-American scum to not even have the decency to be in line for the anthem, still walking around?).

The singer got the first line out, surprised everyone, the TA shut up as soon as they realized what was going on and sang along after about the second line. The ECS took about 4-5 seconds more (probably because the acoustics where they are are even more difficult to hear over themselves up in the corner of the stadium).

We sincerely apologize that someone (presumably NBC) prematurely started the singer and offended you because the production value of the national anthem wasn't up to your standards. Hopefully you if anything ever happened like that with the Marines or the Union you'd self flagellate in shame with being associated with something so "un-American".

Sorry for the rational interjection and letting you know what really happened (I know, it is more fun to criticize based in misinformation in a vacuum). As you were.

Timbers Green and shotzie repped this.
  4. DemonJuice

DemonJuice Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Aug 21, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's no use explaining facts to the stupid, TreeRings.

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  5. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Great game and, as always, great atmosphere!

Cascadia!

Left Coast repped this.
  6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Timbers Army is full of un-American scum. Here's how un-American they were in 2011...

That is the best rendition of the anthem that I've had the privilege of hearing in person.

7. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    From un american scum. I dont know why MLS and all US sports play the national anthem for every domestic game. For a Championship/Cup final/International game yes but this is a very American thing. You don't see Man United or Real Madrid standing for national anthems in a league game. Still i really do enjoy the Psh after every line and the scarf swirling.

If it were me id only bother with national anthem for Playoff games, US Open Cup final, Concacaf games and games between US and Canadian teams. But im just un american scum ;-)

8. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax, relax. Scum, yeah, but not unamerican. We heard only one guy miss the cue.

9. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Commie pinkos?" Who are you? Joseph McCarthy? Is this the 1950's? Get a grip.

PhxPsyD repped this.
  10. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For what it's worth the Timbers Army continues to chant during the anthems even in the playoffs. They chanted all through the Canadian anthem and then, at least in the spirit of fairness disrespected their own as well. Yes the Timbers Army did a good job singing the anthem back in the day. They've also made it perfectly clear that the only way they'll treat the songs with respect is when they and they alone get to be the center of attention.

11. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    So I was at the second game and its a tradition to sing along as normal but to just add a whoosh at the end of every line (We used a Eh at the end of every canadian anthem line as we sung it). There is one last altercation to the national anthem is instead of "Land of the free" We sing "land of the TIMBERS"

Its not like we sing a different song. People stand up face the US flag, put down flags (unless it's the US or Cascadian flag) (Cascadian independence is a different issue) and give the US anthem a lot of respect, just a little more involved with one changed lyric.

stonesean and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  12. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 stonesean, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    All I know is I watched multiple Champions League, UEFA Cup and friendly matches as a season ticket holder (Block 37B) in Stuttgart from 2007-2010. I know the Timbers Army enjoys the chants of Commando Canstatt because they even have a chant I've heard referred to as the "Stuttgart" chant.

There is respectful silence in the Canstatter Curve and no chanting, flag or scarf waving during both home and visitor the anthems. No anthems are played during Bundesliga matches, but there were when other nations teams came to play. Unlike the OP, I'm not about to call anybody scum or unpatriotic or anything like that, but I can promise that to most observers, that stuff isn't nearly as cool or "true" as the Timbers Army probably thinks it is.

By the way, what the heck is Cascadian Independence? If it is what it sounds like it is, the proponents must be HILARIOUS.

Oveki8 repped this.
  13. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City

This is what the timbers army does for the national anthem every time. We sing the national anthem.

14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I normally stay quiet during any country's national anthem (even though I'll sing the SSB once in awhile) but I still see no reason for that song to be played at sporting events other than national team games or international competitions.

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  15. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe you could throw in a cheeky "gitsum" just for the marines

16. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    and for our Canadian visitors. I can't remember what happened when we played Honduras team Olympia. I don't know of any other international games yet.