Portland - Part 2

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by scott47a, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    I think the timeline is compressed. One of the thoughts I had is that this is because St. Louis got their investor.

It could simply be because MLS is overly ambitious, of course. They're still learning this game. It's different than working for the big three, clearly. The dynamics are completely different and harder to grasp.

We'll probably know soon. The press release may speak volumes. It may not...

There was a tipoff in this morning's Oregonian article, where Paulson cites the Lents site as the #1 choice for the baseball stadium. He had yet to put it in those words, expressing hope for a site closer to downtown. That means he's ready to rush this along, and have it built inexpensively for now. He's readying for the compressed timeline, and helping keep the city's probable contribution down. Good news.

2. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You getting on St. Louis' case has NOTHING to do with the Portland bid. What Sport Billy said does, your baiting of him does not.

3. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    Quick aside. Portland launched a grassroots site supported by public contributions. Although the website is clearly 'underfunded' it has been getting better since last week and has a nice slide show intro.

http://www.mlstopdx.com/

4. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect it to really grow quickly. I have heard it is being innundated with contributions, so we should see it get better and better.

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Thanks, sorry it went OT - but what I said of St. Louis holds true for Portland. Portland would not make a formal bid without addressing some stadium concerns - a formal bid is evidence that the stadium issue has been addressed - IMO.

Does anyone know if Vancouver's bid includes playing at a temporary facility - by temporary I mean something where they are not controlling the revenue?

If so, I think that hurts their chances. And thus helps Portland.

Personally, I think Vancouver is Portland's oposition.

While I don't see two Canadian teams coming in together, I don't see Portland and Vancouver coming in together either. I don't think MLS would go to the PNW with 3 of 4 incoming expansion teams.

6. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stating the fact is not getting on St. Louis' case. To me...... "are ready" and will be ready are two different things. Perhaps this is Billy's way of saying he has insider information. If not..... it's pure speculation at this point.
    Market wise....... I think west coast franchises offer more to the league. The NASL saw attendances reach unheard of numbers (for the time) when they expanded to the west coast. I think MLS can expect the same. Portland has a solid fanbase currently and it will only grow with an MLS franchise.

7. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Like I said before, all four bids are so strong that it seems likely that they'll all join in the next five or six years. The current discussion seems more about who will enter the league first, rather than if they will enter.

But St. Louis is the only one of the four that can't wait around for that long, because the local government won't wait forever to get a team. The other cities already have USL teams to use any facilities meant for an MLS team in the meantime. St. Louis might not be ahead at the moment, but if it's Garber's intent to have all the cities join at some point, then he'll surely be looking at this.

8. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the league could be figuring that there are more markets waiting to get in line. MLS doesn't owe St. Louis or any other market a franchise. More demand means higher franchise fees etc. The point you make its why I feel that St. Louis is losing ground daily while places like Portland are gaining. Perhaps Billy knows more than he can let on to now..... But all things equal as far as it goes.... Portland could start play next year if the league allowed it.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    No insider information - just logic - St. Louis would not make a bid without financing and everyone knows they're going to make a bid.

As to "west coast franchises offer more to the league", come on - Chivas, SJ???

There is a huge difference between correlation and causation.

West Coast teams arriving in '75 & '74 = Correlation
    All the major euro & So Amer stars arriving '75 - '77 = Causation

The league did not break 10,000 until '77

10. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the entire west coast except LA did break 10,000 average attendance in 1974. BEFORE Pele arrived into the league. San Jose's attendance cannot be much higher than it is because their temporary stadium only hold 11,000.

as far as Portland not having a stadium that is up to MLS standards..... it beats Buck Shaw by a mile. Sharing with a baseball team doesn't seem to have been a problem in DC and now KC.

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, Paulson also said that MLS is alright with the Timbers sharing PGE with the Beavers for 3-5 years while the renovations are completed.

12. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose was given special treatment because it was a former franchise that MLS sacrificed and now wanted to heal the wounds. DC United is a flagship franchise. They already stick the league with high rent payments, so why not let them share with baseball, too? MLS certainly has given KC lots of breaks, but that's how it goes when you are Lamar Hunt's baby.

Obviously all three cases are special cases. I don't think Portland qualifies for the same treatment, especially in the context of being in competition with three other cities which are better markets and have their stadium situation sorted out.

- Paul

13. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please re-read my post about the 3-5 years of sharing the stadium.

14. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way that "sharing with baseball" is good enough for Portland to sneak in ahead of Montreal, Vancouver, St. Louis, and New York. They need to get their stadium situation sorted out soon, that way they have a chance to get in now. Otherwise it's going to be near impossible in the subsequent rounds because of increased competition. "Sharing with baseball" isn't going to cut it.

- Paul

15. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    Except for Vancouver playing in an oversized temporary venue with no permanent solution confirmed, Montreal needing a Portland-sized upgrade, and St. Louis needing to build a stadium.

You weren't talking about those three cities having fully sorted stadium situations were you?

I hope not.

Anyway, as an "arch rival" with a personal chip on your shoulder you have zero credibility when commenting on Portland's prospects in my opinion.

Thanks.

16. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't bother with Bright he ignores all logic and evidence and sticks with his first opinion never waivering.

If Paulson secured funding tomorrow for this whole plan, and with the Beavers out by 2011, Bright would still say Vancouver is vastly superior.

BTW Portland beats NYC2 because we CAN get a stadium by 2011, look how long RBP is taking in NJ, let alone in the city.

I don't see how a Vancouver bid is better than a Portland bid. Similar sized cities but one is in the US and one isn't. I think that bodes well in our favor for league sponsorships, and TV deals. Plus BC place is in no way better than PGE, as soon as we get the agreements worked out from the city we will be in much better shape.

17. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2011 is three years away. If we get this sorted by Nov-January and gain the expansion team it wont take 2-3 years to build a AAA baseball park. I don't see how we will even be "sharing with baseball" in this scenario. That is unless we started in 09 or 10 which we know won't happen.

And isn't BC place "sharing with CFL" except it is in a temporary home with very little access to gameday generated revenues.

Looks like I broke my own rule of not responding to the troll. Sorry.

18. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah way to go. There are wonderful features of this forum we may want to check out. Though a little willpower goes a long way.

19. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might need to investigate this ignore feature further..........

Or I should be given Mod powers, :D

20. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hierarchyfive 4 mod!

Seriously, everybody should watch the Timbers vs. Sounder finale (until Portland goes MLS) on FSC on Thursday night at 8 pacific, 11 eastern... I'd imagine that's right after ESPN2 MLS. It's going to be fantastic.

21. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you say Fvvvvvvvvck Shittle?

22. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BC Place will be ready by 2011, and they signed a 5-year lease. That's solid. The possibility of the waterfront stadium makes it even better. But just BC Place as it will be in 2011 will be good enough for MLS.

Montreal already has the money committed and the plans drawn out for the expansion of Saputo Stadium. Even if they didn't expand it, Saputo Stadium as it is (grass, sole tenancy, control of revenues) is better than PGE Park as it is (field turf, share with baseball team, government-owned facility). Furthermore, while Montreal has the money secured for upgrades, Portland does not.

St. Louis has the money secured to build a brand new stadium. It is also a larger market than Portland and will add more value to the national TV deal and bring in more sponsorships. Also, they are so far along in this process that it is a forgone conclusion that they will be #17. There is no way Portland is going to snub St. Louis.

- Paul

23. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006