Portland - Part 2

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by scott47a, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Respectfully Bright.

Get the ******** out of here.

What the hell are you even linking to? How about you go back a few pages and read the links to personal meetings between Sam Adams and Nick Fish on their personal agendas. Oh, wait you wouldn't do that because you won't ever admit you're wrong, or that others might just know a little more than you do.

We are not going through another 3 pages of you saying the same things. Vancouver is not solid, their BC Place interim venue has many holes. If you actually read anything that is linked in this thread you would know that Portland is coming along quite nicely.

We have had this discussion before and you won't listen to anyone else but yourself, I don't want to go into anymore with you.

So please unsubscribe yourself.

2. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    Re: Philadelphia Discussion of 2011 Expansion

I'm tired of doing all your research for you. This is the last I help you with - it will get you started:
    http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=203018

Now don't come back and waste our time until you know what you are talking about.

3. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry, some of his posts weren't here originally but in a Philadelphia thread where a debate raged about Portland between him and several Portland posters. I moved it here because it seemed to be more appropriate in a Portland thread.

4. harmsway01

harmsway01 New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Oregon
  5. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bryan,

Thanks for the heads up on why these posts were here. They seemed strange and totally out of place when I read them last night. They clearly looked like Bright was just stiring the same pot again, that we have already been in 20 times before. Makes a little more sense now.

With that said, if you want to unsubscribe from it no one is stopping you Paul.

6. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    PAULSON, PORTLAND TO SUBMIT APPLICATION FOR MLS EXPANSION FRANCHISE

For immediate release: July 31, 2008
    PORTLAND, Ore. – Merritt Paulson, owner and president of the Portland Timbers and Portland Beavers, today announced plans to submit an application for a Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise that would play at PGE Park in downtown Portland, Ore.

MLS today announced the timeline and application process for the league’s next two expansion teams, with plans to add two clubs by 2011 to bring the league to 18 teams. MLS, which will consider markets in the United States and Canada, has set an Oct. 15, 2008, deadline for applications.

“There is no doubt in my mind that Major League Soccer in Portland would both add a tremendous amount to the league and have a phenomenally positive impact on our community and state,” Paulson said. “We have the most ardent and authentic soccer fanbase in the United States, and Soccer City USA deserves a Major League Soccer team.

“In the coming months, we look forward to making an exceptionally strong case to both MLS and our community as to why Portland should be designated as one of the next two MLS expansion cities.”

MLS has indicated that an announcement regarding the next two expansion clubs will take place during the fourth quarter of 2008 or the first quarter of 2009.

About Major League Soccer

Headquartered in New York City, Major League Soccer is the top-flight professional soccer league in the United States and features many stars from the U.S. and around the world. Now in its 13th season, the 14 teams in MLS are: the Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, Chivas USA, Columbus Crew, D.C. United, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Kansas City Wizards, Los Angeles Galaxy, New York Red Bulls, New England Revolution, Real Salt Lake, San Jose Earthquakes and Toronto FC. Seattle Sounders FC will join the League in 2009 and a Philadelphia expansion team will debut in 2010.

-- visit www.portlandtimbers.com --

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations. Looks like y'all get to have your own forum now.

8. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this is going to be a very exciting race.

9. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm expecting news to flood out of PDX in August.

Hold on this is going to be a crazy summer!!!

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And fall.

And winter.

I'm inclined to side with the predictions I've seen elsewhere that we won't see any announcement at or before the MLS Cup. The deadline is October 15. I have a hard time believing that MLS will make this big a decision, with at least 4 bids before them, in less than a month.

11. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Luck Portland, I live exactly at the midpoint between Seattle and Portland, love both cities equally, of course support the Home State teams more but still, always was a Sonics and Blazers fan, Sonics more, now just a Blazers fan, love the Huskies and Ducks, etc...

Portland in 2011!!!

keep the Timbers name...

12. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, the only teams that should have one is Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, and St. Louis. Which BTW is my order of wanting them in MLS.;)

At any rate, the league should really let the other two get in directly after in 2012. It's just a no brainer.

13. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 solid candidates. This probably isn't going to happen often. I think they should all be given a thumbs up to join the league by 2014. It seems again like a no-brainer.

14. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Given what I've heard from Garber that's actually very likely.

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Yes, but St. Louis should be one of the first two. They are ready to go. The delay would actually help some of those get their stadium plans solidified.

16. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fallacy. St. Louis is NOT ready to go. The biggest problem is strong ownership. The league has stated as such. Let's see......... St. Louis was ready before San Jose.......... before Seattle.......before Philly. I think Ive seen this movie.

17. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Calm down. The deadline is on October 15. We'll see what happens then. If St. Louis does get the ownership group ready by then, they'll be in.

18. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not worked up. But I am tired of hearing the same old crap and then listening/reading the whining when another team is announced. The "Seattle stole our team" crap was over the top.

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    I agree that anyone blaming another city is just being stupid. But based on merit of each city, St. Louis still seems to be ahead of everyone else, given that they've been in the process for so long. Again, if they're ready by the deadline, St. Louis will be team #17.

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

You're not seeing the big picture. This "formal bid" process changes things. Assuming St. Louis makes a formal bid, we will know they are ready to go.

We know MLS has told Cooper to get more financing. Obviously, Cooper is not going to submit a formal bid without more financing in place. When they submit a formal bid, we will know the financing is in place.

Come October 15, assuming St. Louis makes it's formal bid, St. Louis will have financing and a soccer specific revenue controlled stadium - there would be no reason not to award a team.

Obviously if no bid is made, this is all moot and Cooper didn't get financing and St. Louis won't get a team. But every indication is that St. Louis will make a formal bid.

21. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There would be no reason EXCEPT that other bids might be more attractive. It's completely a wait and see situation. Blanket statements that so and so is IN .....or will be IN is pure specualtion. Billy, you stated that they ARE ready. Now you are saying you assume they WILL be ready. Big difference.

22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

No, they are ready. I'm just saying that when they make the formal bid - everyone will know they are ready. No difference.

23. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AS ready as when Seattle, San Jose and Philly were announced...... ya I get it.

24. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland thread.

25. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes.....and discussion about all the candidate cities that Portland will face in this process is pertinent to the Portland bid. You can have your "Portland Only" lovefest at Timbertalk.