Porter leaving Portland

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisZ, Nov 17, 2017.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read late last night that Porter decided to leave the Timbers. Do you think he is going to make a move at the USMNT head coach position?

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not....not a fan of how he does tactics (specifically how he plays negative soccer with a lead or when on the road) or how he has (not) developed players like nagbe.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have mixed feelings. He blundered the U23 olys qualifiers but the kids played an attractive game. He coached the all-star game a few years ago and the team looked very much in sync so much that Guardiola took exception to the game. My biggest objection with him is he plays favorites to an extreme.

5. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Ugh, that was such a disaster. His players let him down mentally at the end of the decisive match, but losing 2-0 at home to a particularly talentless Canada was pathetic.

As much as I like the guy, that stain lingers.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If memory serves me right, Porter had no concept of player rotation, that was one of his many undoings.

adam tash and COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Wasn't it back-to-back atrocious keeper ********-ups, and those keepers are still doing it?

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first keeper got hurt and the second blunder a long kick in the final minutes for the tie.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Once burned twice shy. I thought Arena must have learned something since 2006. Instead he came out with exactly the same flaw of trying to run the ball into goal with donkeys.

Has Caleb learned anything? LouisZ's summary is a good one. Those "favorites" are often players who fit the mythology of the great American sports machine - which prizes vertical jump at its good ol' boys' combine before the super-draft every year. So, you end up with your typical "monstah" in goal. Super freak athlete Sean Johnson. Now, if only he could play, right?

Klinsmann used to talk about how in soccer you can't stop play and go talk to your athletes like in the typical American sports. Mentality is so important. How Arena could not have learned that in all these years is beyond me. But if Arena hasn't learned it, has Caleb?

Edit: To end on a positive note, that job Caleb did with the All Stars against Pep was impressive. I watched a little of the practice. he went in with a good plan and carried it off while Pep figured he'd give his younger horses a workout and they played typical, uninspired academy ball and lost.

11. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you regarding Porter. I really believe he mishandled the away game with Houston, not going for the win. Well it came back to bite him in the nether regions. Not sure if he has created or just contributed to Nagbe's problem. I hate to see Nagbe go to waste, but he really has no drive, as far as I can see. Not sure this is a coach's problem, other than giving him a starting position week after week, so there is no incentive to improve himself.

12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I can’t believe they’d hire a coach now and this quickly. The same would be true of a technical director. It seems weird if he were to have left without something else lined up. Other MLS job, something outside the US be surprising with his resume. The only things within the federation that might make sense would be a full time u23 position or even more likely would be the interim job guaranteed through the WC with options for the rest of 2018. I could behind an interim role through the middle of next year with the u23 position through 2020 Olympics. It would incentivize him to focus on youth in the first half of the year.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter has no business applying for the NT job and Sunil and his cronies have no business considering the next coach for the NT job.

Porter should go earn his stripes abroad and Sunil should go lecture some kids on how to funnel money into off shore tax havens.

russ, manq360 and sXeWesley repped this.
  14. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Porter, am sorry to see him leave my team and I think he is at the top of the pack of American coaches.

Having said all that he would be a complete disaster for the senior team and is nowhere near ready. Hopefully he is leaving to become David Wagner's assistant or something.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well porter was nagbe's college coach too...so nagbe has had 1 coach basically (aside from JK and Arena) for his whole underwhelming pro career....and since he was a teen.

maybe no one can get nagbe to his full potential...but CLEARLY porter cant.....so, to me, its a strike against porter....especially considering MLS blocked nagbe's move to Celtic (i'm assuming with porter's consent).

So, if the new USMNT will work with youth and young players and help them reach their full potential....again, not sure porter has that arrow in his quiver.

LouisZ repped this.
  16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Wouldn't mind Porter. Then again I don't think the National Team manager position is all that difficult. You have to work to screw it up, and Klinsmann/Arena worked pretty hard to get us to fail at qualifying.

spot and ursula repped this.
  17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I believe Darlington Nagbe is the only player in Portland Timbers history to have received even a mere Camp Cupcake callup with the US national team. That's an astonishingly unimpressive record for a coach who has led them for 5 relatively successful seasons.

18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Porter failed at the Olympic qualifiers at Nashville.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Active? Because Jorge Villafana was an integral part of their Championship team. Besides, Portland has generally relied upon foreign players. According to Wiki, of their top 10 in appearances, just 2 are American. Nagbe and Jewsbury.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    His first coaching venture after quitting Akron.

21. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CP failed at the Olympic U23s before announcing taking the Timbers job in August 2012.
    I think that failure influenced and hastened his decision to leave Akron.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter didn't even know he only had 3 subs :)

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Porter has a lot more to learn before he's qualify to go anywhere near the USMNT job.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've heard, MLS HQ did not block Nagbe's transfer. Merrit Paulson did.

Anyhow, next cycle is the most important in our program's history. Can't risk it on someone like Caleb. I also remember him saying he was inspired by Bob going abroad and his success over there. Well he might go over there and get his feet wet.

25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The US should at least make it out of the group stage in CONCACAF qualifying.