Pope insults muslims

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Smiley321, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which just proves the Christian Bible has it all wrong!

2. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On what day he kill all the dinosaurs?

(EDIT: While Bill Hicks was rather overrated, especially when he went on his unfunny Lenny Bruce-type rants, his "Christians and dinosaurs" bit was one of my favorites...)

3. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Firstly science not only tell us that God should not have under the laws of science created the world as it is stated in Genesis but that he could not have. I have no problem in you believing in a God who can undertake these miracles and thus believing they happened but when science says God did not create humans as written in Genesis but rather they were formed over thouands of years of evolution I tend to think the Genesis story was a myth. If you believe that God caused evolution, or created the world so one day humans would be formed then fine, I'll accept that as a possibility which realistically cannot be proven one way or another. The miracles in the NT, however, shouldn't be possible (thats why they're miracles, I guess) but I have no proof of them one way or another, so to completley discount them would be as ignorant as to blindly believe them IMO.

By the way I'll accept the changing 6 days to 2 billion as a sound theological argument. If you choose to believe that then I really can not argue (although I don't neccessaraly agree) as I find it a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

If you were to say the 6 days actually represents 6 billion years or something and during that time dinosaurs and evolution took place as an act of God, then whist I may not agree I can accept it as being resonable. If you say everything happens as literally stated in Genesis I will tend to be sceptical as science says otherwise.

Fisrtly you seem to have a very simple understanding of God. God, as you put it, does not exist in what is defined by humans, yet you still seem to want to describe God in human terms. You're continual personification of God "wimpy", "his son" suggests your view of God is just as a human like figure with a lot of power. I believe that it is impossible for humans to truly comprehend what God is or ever fully understand God. To make comments like "what a wimpy God you have" is suggesting God exists as a single being as a human or dog does. I believe God exists within the love between two people for example, or as ITN put it in the sunrise each day, rather than a God sitting up in the clouds thinking about what to destroy.

The main purpose of Christianity is to live as Christ did so as to be saved from our sins, as you say, in atonement through the death of Christ. If you read the teaching in Luke's gospel as well as the letters of James on following Jesus it becomes clear that simply believing is not enough. "Faith with out worls is dead". Ultimatley believing Jesus to be the Christ must lead to living life as Jeus did if you have read his teachings. As I have said previously I believe Jesus to be the personification of God the spirit and was thus able to rise from the dead and return to God. Also I do not believe Christ was a "sacrifice" or "took the puishment for our sins" but that rather his death showed his love for humanity and that through following Jesus we can enter the Kingdom of God. I'm not even going to try to post an explanation of the Kingdom as I believe it like God is beyond human understanding.

What are your views on evolution by the way?

Again "him", why are you so sure God is male?

4. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Fair enough I'll accept that.

If 7-Eleven big-bites directly went against the bible's account of something I would be ask you about them.

I assueme from the above comments you accept God guided evolution. That's fine, can't really argue with it. Puts you in line with the Vatican too, Catholic I guess.

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I'm sorely tempted to add some big jombrowski jokes here, but that would probably be offensive to the believers

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Looks like the only terrorism in this thread is jimmy.h's jihad againt logic and argumentation.

Sachin

7. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    I take that as a NO.

Thanks for playing. (32 total posts all on this thread)

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003