Pope insults muslims

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Smiley321, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    As an atheist who has had many interesting discussions on religion with Christians, I'd have to say that this is the first time I've heard one call his bible a "several thousand year-old book of myths"

2. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Sorry I should have claryfied the statement. I was not attempting to describe the entire bible as myths (though I concede this is how it came across). I view the obviously mythical old tetament stories (world created in 7 days, Jonah swallowed by a whale, pillar of salt etc) to be myths as well as some of the new testament. Whether or not I believe certain sections of the bible (many of which I do not) does not influenece the fact I try to base the way I live my life on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I certainly believe in God in the sense that God is love but not in the sense there is some God sitting above the world deciding cause great floods etc. As for the resurection, I'm not sure exactly where my beliefs are exactly inregards to it, but to be honest it was what Jesus did and said that I find integral to Christianity. If refusing to believe that Lot's wife was physically turned into a pillar of salt by God makes me less of a Christian then fine but provided I find myself obeying Jesus's commandments then I'm pretty content with my religion.

Oh, and as an atheist do you believe there is no higher being or just that we cannot prove the existence of such a being yet it may still exist.

3. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Amazing statement here (for a Christian).

Following the teachings of Christ is not how you become a Christian. To believe He is the son of God, died for our sins and was resurrected on the third day is.

4. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Firstly, you've got to assert something meaningful. If you describe god as the sun coming up in the morning, then I believe in it. If you describe god as something omnipresent, omniscient and all powerful and it gets upset if I don't believe in it and throws me into an eternal Rupert Holmes concert in hell, then I'd have to call BS.

5. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    So does my belief that God exists as the love between people but not as the omniipresent God you speak of sit well with you.

6. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    You don't sriously believe in all that OT stuff do you, I mean you're (presumably) a grown and educated man. I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church recognises much of the old testament to be mythology designed to allow its audienece to uderstand the greatness of God. Are you saying that's an amazing statement for a Christian? then I suggest you head to the Vatican and set them right because for the moment I'll take their theology over your theology.

Can I ask what scholarly expertise you have in Biblical interpretaion that gives you the right to challenge the offical Vatican line on this? Or do you just believe everything you are told.

How did God create the world in 7 days, including creating man in this period, when science tells us that the universe began 13 billion years ago, the earth was formed 6 billion years ago, life began 3 billion years ago, humans have existed for 200 000 years following thousands of years of evolution. Goodness that is a long 7 days, and the bible forgot all that stuff about dinosaurs, and the human evolutionary process. Then again perhaps the scientists are wrong, perhaps the sun moves around the earth as well.

7. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    For FeverNova1, an extract from "THE INTERPRETATION OF THE BIBLE IN THE CHURCH" compiled by the "Pontifical Biblical Commission" regarding literal interpretaion of the bible.

Then again I'm sure you're more in tune with Christianity and the bible than the Pope's own biblical commision, what would they know.

8. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I believe that love between people exists. If that's how you define God then I believe in it.

9. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Obviously fy understanding of God is more complex than that, it's kind of how to explain but I think the love between people is the best example of God IMO.

10. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    Since when did being a Christian have anything to do with what the pope says?

11. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Not saying it has anything to do with what the pope says just saying that the pope's biblical commision is a more reputable source for biblical interpreation than the well known biblical scholar FeverNova1. Plus I'm sure for Catholics, approximatley 50% of Christians throughout the world, what the Pope says has a fair bit to do with being a Christian. On the basis he can speak with Papal infallibility in regards to teaching on faith and morals, what he says is very relevant to members of the religion. For the other 50% it probably has very little to do woth being a Christian, but I would not discount his theological knowledge all the same.

Put it this way, for Catholics when the pope speaks with Papal infallibility, what he says goes as far as religious dogma. Surely you would agree the dogma of a religion is relevant to being a member of that religion. On that basis what the pope says has quite a lot to do with being a Christian for over 1 millilion Christians.

12. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your opinion.

Prayer.

13. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    No it's a scientific fact, there is a difference.

So do you just completley ignore the science that goes against your belief or do you believe it to be lies caused by Satan or something like that.

Try this for starters

http://www.facttrain.com/earthorbit.html

I think this may be a kids sight but seeing as you appear to have the mental age of an infant, you shouldn't mind too much.

So you pray for abortion clinics to be blown up. You truly are a sick individual and by no means a Christian.

A question, do you love abortionists?

14. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    IntheNet what Christian denomination are you a member of?

If Catholic do you accept the Vatican's line that modern evolutionary theory is correct, and therefore Genesis not literaly true, or do you believe the Vatican is wrong on the issue?

If not a Catholic don't worry about the question.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Science changes all the time to suit known evidence. The world was flat to scientists until evidence showed it was round. Pluto was our ninth planet until evidence showed otherwise. Since God created the earth and the sun, I give Him thanks each morning for another day. However, you can give thanks to whatever monkey your secular belief features on its monthly calendar.

No. I didn't say that; I pray that the holocaust of humanity that is abortion will be realized and terminated.

16. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    You haven't answered my question, do you accept the Vatican's teaching on evolution or is the Vatican wrong on this issue?

Secondly the current "known evidence" says the bible is wrong on many levels, do you believe the science or the bible on these issues?

How could God create the world in seven days when it obviously took billions of years to do say?

Why is their no mention of evolution in the bible?

So do you think blowing up an abortion clinic is right or wrong?

It's a simple question can I have a simple answer.

17. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    FYP. Hope you don't mind.

18. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man assigned the duration of the day and parameters thereto; God isn't confined by such parameters.

No mention of 7-Eleven big-bites either... amazing that!

19. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Dude, I’m not going to waste any more of my time with your twisted logic of the Christian faith.

1. I’m not Catholic and do not listen to what the Pope has to say.
    2. Understanding and having knowledge of Theology has nothing to do with your salvation (ask bojendyk).
    3. You have basically reduced the Christ to an everyday human being by making statements of the Father not having divine authority over the earth, including creation and life and death.
    4. And let’s finally put this to rest. Do you or do you not believe that Jesus is the son of the living God, and has been given authority by this god, to save us from damnation and have eternal life through belief in Him?

20. kaiserwilhelm

kaiserwilhelm New Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Oklahoma
    Wow, what a wimpy God you have. Or should I say, lower case god.
    Mine, not only created the world in 7 days, he DID do all of those fantasic miracles in the OT and NT.
    See, that is what I do not understand. If you negate the power of God in the first 50 verses of the bible (changing 6 days to 2 billion years) then how the heck can you reconcile ANY of the miracles in the next 500 pages?
    Then, once you have this wimpy god that can't do anything in any terms other than those defined by humans, how the hell do you get his Son to come back from the dead.
    I truly feel sorry for anyone who claims to be a Christian and yet changes the main purpose of Christianity (Christ taking the punishment for our sins) into just being a good guy and trying to act like he did.
    To put it bluntly, if Christ came and did all that he did and yet did not die on the cross and rise again, then we are all screwed. There is not sacrifice that has been made.
    See, when I have a God that is not wimpy and actually CAN make the world in 6 days I do not have to worry about him doing a little mirace like raising from the dead.
    BTW, I really do not care what the Catholic church has to say about evolution.
    (Just a FYI, in Genesis, God puts the sun and moon in the sky EARLY on. Then, just in case man doesn't get the point, he points out that every time that goes up and down it will be a day. He right there defines what a day is.
    So much for the day/age theory. Six days meant, and still means, six times that the sun went up and down).

21. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    So God is so sloppy he couldn't be precise and say that one day is one rotation of a spherical earth?

22. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just in from Fox News --

Emperor Manuel II has apologized!

[​IMG]

23. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    My point was not that you should listen to what he has to say. My point was you found my comment that parts of the bible were mythological to be amazing for a Christian, yet the most prominent Christian in the world shares the view.Do you find the pope's view amazing too? When you say you do not listen to what the pope has to say, why? Are you not prepared to further your understanding of religion? Are you worried he might point out the bible's inconsistencies?

What a riddiculous statement. Without understanding and knowledge of theology how are you sure salvation is obtained through Christianity, not Hinduism or Islam? You are stating that you blindly follow what you are told without thinking things through yourself? You remind me more and more of the Muslims everyday man.

No I believe the Christ to be the personification of God but I think what you describe as "the Father" is a riddiculously over simplififcation of what God is. And no he dopes not have power over creation and life and death.

24. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    I am not Catholic, I believe in the sainthood of all believers, I don't care how many views you share with some guy in a funny hat.
    NOT CATHOLIC

How about I start pointing out where the Catholic Church's teachings are inconsistent with the Bible.

You are right, from now on, I'm getting all my religion from the Vatican!

If God does not have power over you, then there is absolutely no reason to worship him. Just because you think Jesus was a nice guy doesn't make you a Christian.

25. jimmy.h

jimmy.h New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Fair enough but do you only listen to members of your own denomination when talking about Christianity? You seem strangely happy to display your lack of desire to understand Chrsitian theology.

Fine. I'm not saying for a minute that the Catholic Church's teachings on the bible are correct or consistent just that my "amazing" view that parts of the OT are merely stories is shared by the leader of the world's largest Christian denomination and is in the teachings adhered to by about half of all Christians

For the love of God don't do that. I believe it is integral to understand a variety of Christian teachings and theology to fully understand Christianity. I find the pope's teaching relevant but also the teaching of theologians of various other faiths to be relevant. To simply blindly follow what a religion says without thinking it through yourself is pure ignorance.

Why not? Obviously you don't think particularly highly of Buddhism. They don't believe Buddha has any power over them, they simply aim to emulate him in achieving enlightenment.