Polska hooligan culture?

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Casper1377, Aug 5, 2002.

1. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Thanks for the info, tredowski.

When I meant clothing I was talking about the Casual scene not club colors or patches.

2. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    What statistics? If you're looking for archives of incidents and riots I'm not gonna do your homework for you. Just check out some Nation Crime Reports and hooligan sites and you can find out everything.

I'm not sure why you seem so obsessed with proving Polish hooligans are the "best" in the world. I never said anything contradicting that and like tredowski said, is it really something to be proud of?

3. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    Hey there...this is exactly what I'm learning and trying to find out pertaining to Polska. Exactly. Sorry some tempers have flared over all this, that isn't/wasn't my goal at all. In fact, I think all of you, Rhinos, Tredowski and Brian, have all given alot of interesting details and info. So thanks to all of you. Serious. As long as anyone can come up with any info or knowledge or experiences I'm listening. So keep it coming as long as you like. Seems like a few others have at least a small shared interest, so its something to talk about on here besides the usual too.
    I agree that violence in the terraces is horrible and frightening and all that goes with it. On the opther hand its strangely attractive and addictive and fascinating. There's almost a "romance" to it. I'm sure some of you understand my meaning. But would I ever in a million years want to be on the receiving end....hell no. who would? But it is reality and there's no reason not to talk about it. That wouldn't solve anything anyway.
    Most of my knowledge about terrace culture is UK and from the point of view of and written by UK people, with the exception of one by an American, Bill Buford's brilliant "Among the Thugs", and that's mostly about English football too.
    I love Polska and hope to get to live there for awhile soon with a friend in Tarnow. I'm studying Polish language and culture in my hometown Chicago, which has more Polish people or descendants than any city in the world outside of Warsaw! I support the Fire and everybody's likely familiar with our Fire Ultras(Ultras Polski). Best supporters group in MLS and America supporting the best club in MLS and America!(had to get that in! :) cheers) There's obviously alot of PZPN club following here and Legia defiantely holds a big part of that. So I'm in it up to my neck and keep it coming, please!
    Nothing beats getting the first hand views of those who're from Poland or have been there and seen or know this stuff. Alot of it's stuff you can't get in a book, especially when there aren't any books on the Polish terraces to choose from! At least none I know(recommendations?)
    So thanks for talking everyone. Na zdrowie!

4. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    there's no casual culture to speak of in poland, at least in the sense of "looking" the part. however most major clubs have very active hoolie firms, which arrange fights outside stadiums, and are anything but a bunch of drunken mugs. last season there was an incident when warsaw and gdansk mobs met in a field 100 kilometers north of warsaw. unfortunately, the culture is saturated with right wing tendencies, but to a large extent, this is also the case in england and everywhere else in europe. on the other hand, over the past few years there has been a slow emergence of leftie supporters groups (don't know about hooligans). the situation in poland is similar to that at glasgow celtic, where there is a tiny casual presence, but "scarfers" and "shirts" often fight as well. believe it or not, i've seen pictures of hoolies wearing stone island in the moscow firms. don't know how they can pay for that gear. anyway, here's a link you might want to check out. http://www.geocities.com/hoolinfo/

5. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    unfortunately, the culture is saturated with right wing tendencies, but to a large extent, this is also the case in england and everywhere else in europe.
    Well, I'd say in parts of England and in some European countries. There's plenty of groups that aren't right-wing and that have nothing to do with politics. For example, my favorite English club Birmingham City has many black guys in their firm.

i've seen pictures of hoolies wearing stone island in the moscow firms. don't know how they can pay for that gear.
    Yeah, you rarely see that in Russia. Some of those Moscow derbies turn into full-scale riots. Maybe they are connected to the mob. That would explain it.

the situation in poland is similar to that at glasgow celtic, where there is a tiny casual presence, but "scarfers" and "shirts" often fight as well.
    A bit suprised to hear that. I'd imagine there are many more actual hooligans that follow Polish clubs than Celtic and G*rs. There's the ICF and CSC but nothing on that scale. I have seen "scarfers" of the Old Firm firsthand fighting but that's just for that match. Nothing in the world compares to it.

6. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    there are TONS of hoolies that follow polish clubs, they're just not of the english "casual" mold. you'll never see anyone in poland wearing si, cp company, mandarina duck, burberry, etc. the idea of not wearing club colors is catching on, but that's the extent of it. for the most part it's like it was in the 70's in england. scarfers ARE the hooligans.

7. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    Let me recommend a new book:
    "Congratulations, You've Just Met the ICF" by Cass Pennant. you can get it on amazon.co.uk

This book is f'ing brilliant and really goes into depth on alot of stuff. Not just the typical terrace diary either...it really gets into the politics, scene, culture, music(excellent chapter about oi/streetpunk including mentions of the Business & Cockney Rejects) and race in the hooligan world.
    Cass has a unique perspective as he's a black hooligan & founding member of the ICF. Included is stuff from Bill Gardner(infamous ICF co-founder) and others. Goes into detail about the Millwall rivalries and the Under 5's and the whole damn bit. There's even a chapter called "Black Hammers" devoted to the black hooligan experience and the irony of black supporters at clubs with serious racial strife. Really an amazing book. Get it, cos you owe it to yourself...by the way, Cass is one bad m'f'ker(and a good writer too!) :)

cheers

8. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Yeah, I've read it. Some of the Brimson books are good but my favorite on hooliganism is Among the Thugs by Bill Buford, an American.

9. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

OK, let's put this "fact" to bed, finally: Warsaw, Lodz and Krakow have more Polish people than Chicago.

10. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    wasn't too crazy about "among the thugs". basically bill buford latches on to a bunch of drunken slobs with fish and chip staines on their shirts, and depicts them as hooligans, which they weren't. some of my favs-"steaming in", bloody casuals", "guvnors".

11. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    yeah, waht's up with that. what are the facts. before i moved here from california, i alway heard that that's the case. if there were a million polish people in chicago, it'd be a third of the city, which isn't true. are there realy a million in the chicagoland area?

12. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001

Sorry if this isn't true about there being more Polish people in Chicago than anywhere outside Warsaw...
    This is one of the things growing up here you hear all your life. So maybe it isn't accurate...what probably is is that Chicago is the #1 destination for Polish imigrants coming to America. Truth be known, it probably USED to be the case about there being more Polish here than anywhere outside of Warsaw but maybe that was years ago and we've been holding on to it ever since. Maybe, however, it is true and it should be phrased "more Polish people in 'Chicagoland' than anywhere outside of Warsaw..." Alot of people have migrated to the suburbs over the years, especially imigrants going to suburban Cook, DuPage and Kane counties.
    Maybe they are including descendants, like 1st generation Americans born to Polish parents. I know for a fact it seems like everbody has relatives who follow once somebody from the family gets established. Friends come too. You see it all the time.
    CNswide: Yeah, Chicago has over a million people easy. Probably around 3 million in the city proper and counting the outlying suburbs("Chicagoland", and if you look at a good map you can see how congested and compacted Chicagoland is) there's probably 6-6.5 million people or more. It's the third largest city in the USA. You definately gotta come visit!

cheers!

13. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    book review...

Another good one is "Blades Business Crew" by Steve Cowens...ex-top boy at Sheffield United for around 20 years. I know alot of other people like it too.

anyway, about "Among the Thugs", I thought it was brilliant too. I think you're misinterpreting the subjects in the book though...the one guy, the slob with the shirt stains is just one guy who follows Man Utd.'s Inner City Jibbers firm and England abroad...he isn;t the kingpin or anything. The reason he's in the book so much is cos he apparently took a real shine to Bill Buford and was approachable and friendly. I'm sure they were surrounded at all times by some real hard cases but Bill probably couldn't get that close to them...he wasn't accepted by them except by that slob guy, really. So I think that's where you're picking that up, but really it had all the hard core stuff in it and probably helped set the standard for future books.

14. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    oops. i forgot about this thread. i know that there is about 3 million people in chicago. my point was that if there truly were 1 million polish people in the city, it would make 1 out of 3 chicagoans polish, which doesn't seem to be the case. and i don't need to come visit. i already live here.

15. You are probably right about Chicago being the second largest Polish population in the world at some point in history. However, it seems that this was the case many years ago. I would have to perform a pretty difficult search of when could this have taken place but I think that it would unfortunately have to be... in 1920s or 1930s. It would be necessary to check what the population of Lodz, for example, was during those years. Chicago might have taken second place in 1950s again since Poland's population declined sharply with the outbreak of WW II.

I have been trying to fight this very long lived stereotype for as long as I came to Chicago. It just seems to be some outrageously stupid case of local patriotism and Chicagoans just can't get over the fact that this is long long not true.

First, you have to compare apples and oranges.

The Polish population of Chicago (including later generations AND illegals) is around 400,000. This places Chicago 8th, behind Warsaw, Lodz, Krakow, Wroclaw, Poznan, Gdansk and Szczecin. This has been a case for more than 25 years because the populations of these Polish cities have been established in the 1970s and have not changed much since with the exception of the first three which grew rather significantly.

The Polish population of Chicago metropolitan area, or "Chicagoland" is around 1,150,000. This places Chicagoland 4th in metropolitan areas, behind Katowice, Warsaw, and Lodz. Lodz only recently surpassed Chicago but Katowice and Warsaw most probably were always larger in their metropolitan populations than the Polish population in Chicagoland. The problem here is that before WW II, the metropolitan area of Katowice was divided by the border between Poland and Germany and did not necessarily have more Poles than Chicago (I am a little weak on this subject but you probably need a real expert to answer this) hence Chicagoland could have been the home of second largest Polish population until late 1940s or early 1950s.

So far my reasoning was that Americans tried to compare Chicagoland against single Polish cities without their suburbs which was just plain wrong. However, you brought a good point here, and I think you are right with your first statement. Chicago and Chicagoland were most probably second in their Polish populations among cities and metropolitan areas, respectively, at some point in history.

You are also right with your second statement which says that Chicagoland is second only after Warsaw in Polish population but then why does one compare Polish cities and American metropolitan areas?

There is also one more interesting fact that I have to mention. Depending on what one includes in the New York City metropolitan area, its Polish population may be larger than that of Chicagoland!!! However, the Polish population of NYC tends to be more americanized since mostly further generations live there now and they get less mention because their attachment to the culture, language and old motherland is much weaker.

16. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    the polish people in Illinois are pussies. Real polska lives in Hamtrammck, michigan. there is even a polish grocery there with a large poster of Dudek when you walk in, no joke.

17. I have to tell you that you are pretty much wrong. A lot of the Polish firms travel in the entirely casual mode; sometimes they don't even bring the flags with them. One example is Ruch Chorzow. However, this is much more complicated than it seems. Ruch may be really colorful during their derby with GKS and they may be total casuals when visiting Pogon Szczecin. It just depends on who makes the trip--hooligans, ultras, scarfers, a mixture of any two or all three.

The Szczecin ultras and hooligans won't even travel together although they may both show up at the same match. The very good example was a match at Slask Wroclaw last year.

The interesting thing is that the casual looks may be promoted in lower divisions where there may be a real scarcity of shirts, scarves, even flags. A lot of small club supporter groups have chosen this mode and have been doing it for quite some time. I can just mention some examples from my area (Flota Swinoujscie) but I am sure that there are plenty of them all over Poland.

As far as the clothing manufacturers are concerned, Poland copes with their lack of money by creating their own firms. Different manufacturers are preferred in different areas of Poland. A quick lecture of any issue of "To My Kibice", the first long-lasting Polish national fan zine (pretty much monthly), will keep you updated. Ask me and I will lend some to you.

18. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    when i say "casual", i don't just mean not wearing colors. while hoolies in poland are starting to catch on to that, we simply don't have the english type of casual hooligan. money may be a small part of it, but i don't think it's the whole picture. we don't have the culture of working class youth spending unthinkable amounts of money on select, ever changing clothing lables traditionally "belonging" to the upper classes. the english have had that tradition since the 60's. you can loosely trace today's terrace culture in england back to the days of mods in early 60's, all the way through skins, suedeheads, etc. untill very recently, if you asked an average skinhead in poland, when the culture originated, he would say the 80's. he'd be wearing an oversized flight jacket, and probably spout bullsh!t about nationalism, and white power. if the casual culture does catch on in poland, it's got a way to go.

19. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    i'd be interested to know what the polish born population within the chicago city limits is. as far as i'm concerned, if you weren't born in poland, you may claim ancestry, but you certainly aren't polish. you simply don't share the cultural experience.

20. free_mann_mcmanaman

free_mann_mcmanaman New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I don't necessarily agree with this, and you might rethink it if you'd ever seen some of the Polish neighborhoods in Chicago. Polish signs on the stores, Polish beer in the bars, Polish spoken everywhere. Granted, it's not exactly like being born in Poland, but it's not exactly like being born anywhere else in America either. Cultural limbo.

21. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There are many 3rd-4th generational Polish here that still speak their grandparents tongue so they can communicate with them. These are the ones that obviously keep tighter ties to their "homeland" and claim ancestry. You'll see these types joining Polish "clubs". There's some sort of Polish union in Toledo, I've seen.

My girlfriend is different. Her grandparents came from Poland and worked hard to learn English, so her father never had to. Therefore she knows like 10 words, tops...probably mostly food-related words. She's the type that would love to lose her name (Choinski) for the more regal name, Bailey ;)

On the other hand, my friend Mike Calik was basically forced to learn Polish. His parents refused to learn English and stress everything Polish upon him. So of course he has strong ties, though he's never been (and probably never will be) in Poland.

So, what would we say the Chicago Polish supporters are? I'd say although they call themselves Ultras, they're definitely a mixture of all types.

I love languages in general, and I love hearing immigration stories and such. My buddy, Seba (see the pics on my Crew scrapbook 2002) is a huge supporter of Gornik, but he appreciated the attendance at our games, even if we weren't battling traveling supporters...

I like Pierogi's, too.

22. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

There are many, many Chicagoans whose parents were born in Poland, and even grandparents, who truly feel Polish.

They have been raised speaking the language, attending Saturday schools and belonging to harcerstwo, going to Polish-language Mass at church. They frequent Polish night clubs and stores, attend the showing of Polish films and cultural events.

In many cases, they are more Polish than some of the nowoprzybyli who, upon arrival, doff any pretense of being Polish: not speaking Polish to their children at home, drinking Heineken and Absolut, etc.

Meanwhile, poor Ted still continues his paranoid attack on Chicago. It's just so sad, even more so because he lives in Ohio.

23. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000

WRONG! It is not poor Ted, it is middle class Ted. You are now taken off my glumky tasting party invitation list. NO SOUP FOR YOU Krolpolski.

24. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    i live in chicago, in logan square. i'm a walk away from polish bars and shops. having grown up in poland, and then spent 10 years in california, the polish american culture here is very interesting to me. i went to a couple of polish fests when i first moved here, and it was a completely alien experience. yes there was polish beer and pierogi (which i ate maybe once a year growing up in poland), but then there were people dancing to facking polka. i don't know if that's something that originated in poland, but i certainly have never seen or heard it growing up in warsaw. i agree with you about the cultural limbo bit. it's like a culture stuck in some far off, half imagined time, that is neither fully american, nor fully polish. when i say i find it hard to consider someone like that polish, it is because we lack a common cultural experience. if you haven't lived in a massive, gray housing estate; haven't drank warm beer from a "beer booth" when you were 11; haven't traveled in the luggage compartment of a "football special" train, then to me you're not polish. of course i also think everything outside of warsaw city limits should be divided between germany and russia, so there you go:)

25. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    the vast majority of the ultras, and all of the "core" of us that started it all, were born and raised in poland.