Poll: Who are the Crew's two biggest rivals?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Jan 18, 2019.

?

Who are the Crew's two biggest rivals?

1. Austin

2. Chicago

3. Cincinnati

4. DC United

5. NY Red Bulls

6. Toronto

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, after seeing the polls on Twitter and posting them here, then hearing some dissenting points of view, let's take a vote!!

You get to pick two teams. How do you define "rival"? That's up to you. You can look at history, geography, league-mandated hatred of a city in a completely different country, who we share state flowers or animals with, future potential, potential bitterness from almost being relocated, etc.

There are no right or wrong answers, just interested to see what we think here. You'll get to see the results once you vote, this way you provide an unbiased opinion.

And feel free to share your opinions below. I have a feeling there will be an age divide about who people consider the biggest rivals, but we'll see I guess.

2. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Lose by two
    2. Severe weather delays

TownKrier, TheUltra, cbsiegen and 7 others repped this.
  3. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I voted Chicago/DC but caveat is that DC falls off once the history builds with FCC. History and geography are probably the two biggest parts of a rivalry for me and I generally rank them by who I most don't want to lose to. FCC will climb those rankings quickly. DC (& NYRB less so since our history is more winning there) fall into a professional type rivalry, similar to Pats/Colts in NFL or recently Alabama/Clemson in NCAAF. Those are definite rivalries but just lack the local feeling as the league grows and really depend on the competitiveness of the series. Toronto is manufactured. Austin just doesn't seem worth it since it's just Precourt and 0.03% of their fans that deserve scorn. It will be cathartic to get that first W over them but after that any L to them will just feel like any other loss to the western conference teams. Hell Precourt might not even be involved in the potential first matchup as he definitely seems likely to flip his investment.

Alneri repped this.
  4. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Who the hell picked the Bread Rolls? We beat their ass for our only MLS Cup.

TownKrier, Robbo Crewfan and the_rickler repped this.
  5. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh yeah, the correct answer is D CUNiTed and Shitcago.

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100%.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's a long-standing "rumor" that Bruce Arena is a card-carrying member of NAMLBA. Always hate DC. Always.

Also, what @Bill Archer said in another post.

Robbo Crewfan, jack sticker and stanger repped this.
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dirty
    C
    United

Figure out the rest.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  9. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still hate the Ravens too

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mrs KG calls them, and I quote: "scum-sucking scavenger birds".

FC A*****n?? Dunno, but we may never order chicken with broccoli again from our favorite Chinese restaurant.;););)

Robbo Crewfan and TKyle repped this.
  11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went Cincy and Austin. Allow me to explain.

I watched the Crew win the cup in 2008, but I didn't follow the league back then. I started following the Crew in 2011 or 2012.

DC

While I have an understanding that the Crew and DC were battling it out back in the 90's or early 2000's (?), that was obviously well before my time. Since I've started watching MLS, I would've never guessed, just by watching the games, that DC and Cbus were rivals. No history between the cities, far apart, etc. I get it back in the day, when there was only 10 teams and whatnot, but I haven't seen it since I've started watching.

Also, I doubt DC fans consider Cbus a rival. They have NYRB.

Chicago

Jesus..... our games against Chicago are always so boring. Bascially, the same observations above apply here.

Also, I doubt Chicago fans consider Cbus a rival. They have Minnesota, and I think I've read somewhere that Chicago fans don't like KC.

Toronto

I mean, do I even need to waste my breath on this made-up piece of shit 'rivalry'?

Also, I doubt Toronto fans consider Cbus a rival. They have Montreal.

NYRB

Insert DC and Chicago observations.

Also, I doubt NYRB fans consider Cbus a rival. They have NYCFC and DC.

Cincy

Geography and cultural relevance. As @BigStern said, even if many don't consider Cincy a rival now, they will soon enough. For me, proximity and cultural differences make rivals.

I'm sure Cincy fans will consider us rivals, who else can they claim?

Austin

I have no doubt that Austin fans will be more on board with the games against Houston and Dallas than us, no doubt. They'll do their best to sweep the whole relocation saga under the rug. But I will forever hat Precourt for what he did. Simple as. So won't fans from around the league. It will literally be the entire league and Cbus against isolated Austin when we play.

Will Austin fans consider us a rival? Probably not, but they will know why we hate them, legit history.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has made me curious, I think I'm gonna go to some other forums and ask those fans what they think of Cbus, and if they consider us rivals.

12. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did. Plenty of contentious regular season and cup games the past few years with RBNJ. If you read the RB fan social media they hate playing the Crew in the playoffs.

Certainly more than Chicago who are boring, Toronto who is manufactured, DC who just plain suck, and Austin who does not even have a player.

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F. Please resubmit.

14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youngsters.

djtrinidad and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I opened threads in both the DC and Chicago forums. Early results:

Do you consider the Crew a rival?

DC Forum: Yes - 0 / No - 13

Chicago Forum: Yes - 4 / No - 2

TheUltra, TRUJDUB, TKyle and 1 other person repped this.
  16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC and Chicago, easy.

We have never played Broccoli and never an MLS match vs FCC.

Our 0-3 PO record vs NE (including the 2002 ECF and the 2004 Shield Winners) is worth mentioning.

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve said this before, but the truth is we don’t have a true rival. Teams that have true rivals don’t have to ask themselves this question.

Plus, real rivals hate each other. I’m sure we have some teams that we hate, and there are probably some teams that hate us, but they’re not one and the same.

18. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Don’t waste your time. No one considers us a rival, that’s how smug this league is. We just keep beating them now.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  19. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Doesn’t Austin need a team before they are considered a rival? Cincinnati pains me as I love trips down there but due to geographic location, they’d make an excellent rival. DC is definitely at the top of my list but I feel that the Revs at least deserve a mention. They knocked us of if the playoffs several times and if I remember correctly, we won the supporters shield one of those years.

stanger repped this.
  20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised about DC. They have routinely denied the rilvalry like that snobby girl in HS who denied the nice, nerdy boy. Hope she ended up with trash. Like Olsen.

21. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Don't let bill archer go to the DC United page. I see more of them saying they like us then anything.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, Steeler fans admitted that they liked the Browns when that move was announced.... So I'd not read too much into that.

jack sticker repped this.
  23. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Damn you Precourt making people like us.

24. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    As for the Browns and Stealers who doesn't like a good punching bag

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We never beat them in a meaningful match. It is like TFC and us in reverse (until ECF two years ago).

If we start knocking THEM out, it will change. But they have NY, NE, and Philly. And LA.

CBusAlex and Robbo Crewfan repped this.