Poll: Which countries will advance from Group F?

Discussion in 'Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria' started by teammellieIRANfan, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will make it out of Group F?

1. Argentina and Iran

12.6%
  2. Argentina and Nigeria

32.6%
  3. Argentina and Bosnia

50.5%
  4. Bosnia and Iran

1.1%
  5. Bosnia and Nigeria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Nigeria and Iran

3.2%
  1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Although I had this bizzare dream where Iran beat Nigeria and Argentina, but then got pounded 3:0 by Bosnia, I will stick to my predictions.

Iran's most important game will be its opener against Nigeria. That is what our coach. Quieroz, has said too and that is almost all he has been focusing on. While we will play a couple of teams (Belarus and Montenegro) supposedly to prepare for Bosnia, the focus of our coaching staff is on Nigeria with friendlies against Guinea and Angola. Even Carribbean side Trindidad seem more to prepare us for Nigeria than anyone else.

I am a bit superstitious so I admit I don't like the "perfect correlation" I have mentioned before between our friendly results and our World Cup results. Nigeria, after all, beat us 1:0 in a friendly in 1998 where neither side had their top players but it was an official friendly and so it counts in my superstitutious equations! Thus, not a good omen in my eyes. On more substantive grounds, I think Nigeria would have a slight edge over Iran as well, although seeing how they haven't really beaten any side comfortably, their edge doesn't seem to mean as much. I see a low scoring game between us and if Iran come up with a draw, I will be quite happy. That is what I have predicted.

We then face Argentina. We do have a 1:1 result from a friendly against them all the way back in 1977, and that was the exact score between us in the last U17 World Cup. Still, I am superstitious but not that superstititious! Iran has otherwise never ever achieved a result against a truly elite team, whether in a friendly or in a competitive match. It is possible we might get something against Argentina, but the actual record that I have seen suggest we will lose by a few goals. When I consider Messi in the equation, that seems even more inevitable. Since the closest thing to Argentina that Iran have faced is Brazil, and we lost to them 3:0 in 2009, that is my prediction for our game against Argentina. Not my hope, but my prediction. (Against Brazil, incidentally, we played quite well in the first 50 minutes and scored a goal that was wrongly disallowed and hit the post once too. But as the match progressed, we were simply outclassed).

Then we come to Bosnia. If we have lost our earlier games, Iran will not lose to Bosnia simply because we never go pointless in any tournament. Never happened before except at the youth level. When the Olympics featured the national teams for countries with amateur players outside of Europe and some South American countries, Iran participated in 3 Olympics in 1968, 1972, and 1976. Never went pointless in any of them, even advancing from the group stage in the last one and beating "Brazil" in the 1972 Olympic. (Sure, it was Brazil's amateurs, but still it sounds good!) We have participated in 3 World Cups. Never gone pointless in any of them either. We earned our points against Scotland in 1978, USA in 1998, and Angola in 2006. And surely, a side that has never, except once in 1992, failed to get out of the group stage in the Asian Cup and even then failing to advance with a 1-1-1 record, and which has the pedigree it has in Asia, has never gone pointless in any Asian tournament. We aren't Saudi Arabia to sometimes win a trophy and other times go 3 and out as they did in the 2011 Asian Cup. We aren't Saudi Arabia to advance from our group in Wc94, and then get hammered in practically every subsequent World Cup, most notably 8:0 by Germany in Wc02! Iran is steady and consistent even in its inconsistencies! Going pointless is not in our dictionary.

The real issue aganst Bosnia is whether, if we have a point from our game against Nigeria, we will be able to beat Bosnia to possibly do something we have never done: advance from our group? I say why not? We have beat Bosnia 4 times straight, have beaten 2nd tier UEFA sides more generally 50% of the times since Wc98 and lost to them only around 20% of the time. If you rate Bosnia as 3rd tier in Europe, our record is even more lopsided. There is no reason why we couldn't beat Bosnia and that is not just how I feel about it. That comes across even in the attitude I see from Queiroz, who after all coached Portugal when they beat them to qualify to Wc2010. Without saying it explicitly, in between the lines, Queiroz (who never overrates Iran!) thinks our most important game is against Nigeria while our best chance to get some points will be against Bosnia.

2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    My projection:

Matchday 1:
    Bosnia and Herzogovina 1 Argentina 3

Iran 0 Nigeria 2

Matchday 2:

Bosnia and Herzogovina 2 Nigeria 2

Argentinga 3 Iran 0

Matchday 3:

Argentina 1 Nigeria 0

Bosnia and Herzogovina 2 Iran 1

1. Argentina-9
    2. Nigeria-4 GD of +1
    3. Bosnia and Herzogovina 4 GD of -1
    4. Iran -0 GD of -6

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Mine :

Matchday 1
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 1 Argentina 3
    Iran 1 Nigeria 2

Matchday 2
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 0 Nigeria 1
    Iran 0 Argentina 5

Matchday 3
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 2 Iran 1
    Argentina 2 Nigeria 1

Final Group Standings
    1. Argentina .............................................9 pts. ...............GD of + 8
    2. Nigeria ..................................................6 pts. ...............GD of + 1
    3. Bosnia and Herzegovina (out) ..............3 pts. ...............GD of - 2
    4. Iran (out) ................................................0 pts. ...............GD of - 7

;)

4. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

I doubt that Iran will take 5 goals from any teams, they never loose by that margin even to big teams.

The scenario by grandinquisitor28 seems more realistic and probable. Although anything can happen and I can see any of the 3 teams grab the 2nd place

5. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    LOL @Rickdog.

I love his predictions though as it's kind of a blessing, he was making similar doom-day predictions for Iran during the qualifications process and had to eat his words later.

Scythian repped this.
  6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    On the contrary, during qualifications, I was one of the few who thought that CQ was going to qualify Iran. I still remember when Qatar achieved their third consecutive draw against you guys (this time in Teheran), most of you guys in the AFC forum, wanted to "crucify" and sack him, right after that match, when I told you guys that with him you were going to need to have lots of patience, as his results takes time to achieve, but at the end, I stood right and he made it through, for you guys.

But AFC qualifiers are a completely diferent thing than what happens in world stage, and back here, Argentina is going to give you guys, a very tough, difficult to accept, lesson in Brazil.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Football is about teams, not individuals. Besides - you don't really know how good a lot of the Iranian players are.

As it stands: Bosnia has played Iran 4 times and lost each and every time.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Not 'mine'. I'm not Iranian.
    Dejagah is not Iran's best player, just his most Transfermarkt expensive one. I won't even get to you why those values aren't credible in the slighest, because you're too much of a fan-boy yo understand.

locoxriver and Mani repped this.
  9. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    He's a kid mate don't bother :)

10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    BTW: Iran's entire squad was worth less than your most expensive player the last time they beat you...

Mani and Zandi360 repped this.
  11. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    First of all, we have drawn Iran once. Also, we played them and beat them before we were officially a part of FIFA so the result isn't recorded, but it was our first international.

Second of all, half their wins came from friendly cups, which are taken even less seriously than normal friendlies. We sent domestic squads both times.

So 'd say the real record for us is 1-1-2, which isn't bad considering we were considered a weak European team during 3/4 of those friendlies, and we were on the rise but still not at our climax for the most recent one (or 1/4 of the friendlies).

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No, you never drew Iran. I believe IranFootball's breakdown and first time I hear someone claiming differently.
    And you want to count a game that was played when you weren't even an official federation, but discount games in official friendlies. ROTFL.

13. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    You wanna count friendlies in Mickey Mouse cups? Alright fine, we lost to Iran x2 in those cups. We also beat Uruguay, and are 1-0-0 against them. We are better than Uruguay.

LMAO

We have also won our two friendlies over CAF nations in the last two years (2-1 win v Ghana, 1-0 win v Algeria), increasing our chances against Nigeria, no question about it.

14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I think Honduras could pull something. They fortuitously landed in the weakest group, and are playing in South America, where they've done well in the Copa in the past. They're not a great side by any means, but they're not horrible either. Four years ago they held up well enough against Spain and Chile in defeats (weren't annihilated in either game), then drew the Swiss in a game they needed to win to advance to the knockout rounds.

I think they could grab a point or 2 or 3 if everything broke right for them.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The last 4 times Bosnia played Iran, they lost. However, right before that, we had a friendly against them in Bosnia in 2001 which ended 2:2.

I agree with you completely that the non-official, ceremonial, friendly played to commemorate Bosnia becoming an independent nation and before they were even a member of FIFA is clearly irrelevant. I will even agree that one of our wins against Bosnia (4:0) doesn't count much because Bosnia didn't send their foreign based players. However, that really doesn't change the past record all that much. We still have 3 straight wins against them including in Bosnia even if you don't count the 4:0 win.

16. Tiger12

Tiger12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    From a Neutral Fan I predict Argentina and Nigeria based on WC Experience.

I my Group I predicted the favorites, Belgique and Russia.

17. Mehmed

Mehmed Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Bosnia played 6 games vs Greece, lost 4 and tied 2. But the last 7th game which was a decider for 1st place in the group Bosnia beat them 3-1, without Pjanic. So forget the past and forget the fact that Iran never went home without a point.

However, if Bosnia plays like they played vs Egypt a few days ago, you guys can save your important players from possible injuries and red/yellow cards and freely play with your B team. Lets see how Bosnia does vs Ivory Coast and Mexico. Also Iran vs Montenegro will be a real test for Iran.

The fact is, most of us underestimate other teams. Trust me I wont be surprised if we lose to Iran 3-0 or Nigeria too. I also won't be surprised if we beat you guys 3-0.

SafariGirl is right. Bosnian coach said we will fight Nigeria for 2nd place. What does it say? It says Iran will be easy and we will give up vs Argentina. A real coach says "All teams are good but we will go for 1st place, we will go for a win vs Argentina". And then play the best you can and whatever happens. Now I bet Bosnians are scared of Argentina.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Against Guinea, while Iran started with a "static" linuep and formation, and even though I didn't like some of the selections before our halftime adjustements, we nonetheless fielded our full squad minus 2 players who were injured (Teymourian and Beikzadeh) and so did Guinea. But I don't know anything about the team that will feature for either side in Iran's friendlies against Belaras (18 March) and Montenegro (22 March)? It seems none of our foreign based (Dejagah, Ghoochannejad, Nekounam, Montazeri, Jahanbakhsh, Beitashour, Davari, not to mention Shojaie whose absence to me would be a blessing in disguise) will be available. Besides these players, we also have 2-3 other starters on the team who may not be featured because they are injured: Andranik Teymourian and Hashem Beikzadeh as well as possibly Jalal Hosseini, who reportedly picked up an injury against Guinea and is reportedly injury though I don't know how seriously. That is practically Iran's entire starting lineup!

That said, if Queiroz does invite the veteran Ali Karimi (possible, but not to be confused with a 20 year old Ali Karimi who Queiroz invited against Kuwait), and "forgives" 2 other veteran players who used to regularly start for Iran but Queiroz has crossed out for good for disciplinary reasons (our 1st choice keeper from 2009-13, Mehdi Rahmati, and our veteran defender Hadi Aghili), then I think we could have coped with a team almost as good as the first 11 we miss. But if none of those veteran players are invited either, then missing around 14 first choice players, Iran will start to have weaknesses in some areas. Even then, I admit that in some areas the players who aren't available have potential replacements that might be even better.

As I mentioned elsewhere, our best games right before Queiroz took over were against the UAE in our last group stage match in the Asian Cup, where Iran rested its starters and fielded mostly its reserves since we had clinched advancing from our group. We won that match 3:0. And then, it was our friendly against a full squad Russia team, where Iran fielded a mixed team composed mostly of the reserves that beat the UAE 3:0. We won that game 1:0. Personally, I think many of those players plus a few upcoming young ones now, would make a great team.

19. Mehmed

Mehmed Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    It doesn't matter if you win or lose a friendly game, its how you play. If Iran outplays (not necessarily beats) Montenegro, then its a team to fear. Unlike Bosnia, Iran has been in WC before and has a better coach. Our coach sucks. When our coaches were baka and ciro, we played well vs spain and Portugal even though we had weaker players then. Under our current coach we only beat Greece, outplayed France in Paris and couple other games. We passed the group because we were lucky and because the group was fairly easy. Our team can do better its like a chess game, but gotta be smart too, smarter coach. I never thought for 1 second that we are better than Iran. Not because we never beat them but because we are not a super power soccer nation. Iran, Nigeria and BiH are the 3 teams I honestly would be scared to bet on/vs any of them.

The first game for Iran will be crucial. With a slight reserve of optimism, Bosnia will lose to Argentina and will seek to pass the group through Iran and Nigeria. But the loser of Iran-Nigeria is out even if they beat Bosnia. If Iran-Nigeria tie, it will be very interesting.

I wish Iran and Bosnia would pass but Argentina is simply too good. I wouldn't bet against them.

Zandi360 and Mani repped this.
  20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    How we play is not entirely divorced from who is going to play for us against Montenegro. Right now, it seems we won't have any of our regular starters. 8 of them play outside of Iran and likely won't be available for that reason and 3 others are injured (including 2 who are among our top 3 most expensive players, i.e., Teymourian and Jalal Hosseini) right now and may not be available by then either.

The absence of these players wouldn't be as much of a concern for me if we actually invited some other players who could compensate for not having those players, but I am sure some of those players won't be invited because they are in Queiroz's dog house (Rahmati, Aghili) or for other reasons (veteran Ali Karimi).

I agree completely. Our first game is our "do-or-die" game. The team that loses that game is very likely eliminated just after that one game, although you never know for sure.

Unfortunately, Argentina's place in the next round seems assured, absent the kind of upset that can occasionally happen but I dont think will if Argentina have a healthy Messi. Not that even without Messi Argentina are anything but top class, but with Messi I don't see them suffering an upset so huge that would cause them to fail to advance from the group.[/quote]

21. Mehmed

Mehmed Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I don't understand why those 8 players won't play. I understand if their team asks to single out a player but all 8??? They gotta play for NT. All Bosnians play outside of Bosnia and only Pjanic missed the Egypt game because our coach was nice enough to keep him in Roma upon their request. All Iranian potential WC players should play in friendlies. I know that your coach said Bosnia is not a big threat, but Nigeria. However, if I were him I'd use my best squad, even against Malta. Whats wrong with him? It's like most Bosnian think this way....we lose to Argentina...we SOMEHOW beat Nigeria and Iran will be easy. I don't think so. Iran must be takes as serious as Argentina. Your coach should think the same about Bosnia.

Teymourian and J.Hosseini will hopefully recover by May.

Nothing is for sure bro, only god know, but it is like 2 equal chess players playing a game, and one of them plays without a queen. Argentina is the one with queen. I will be surprised if anyone ties them in round 1. Again, the ball is round and Messi is not as good on their NT as in Barcelona, for some reason. I said before it doesn't matter that we never beat Iran but players know that and psychologically it wont be easy on them.

The only "fearless" team besides Argentina seems to be Nigeria. Will their pride backfire on them, we will see in Brazil.

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    On FIFA days, the clubs are obligated to release players for friendlies. March 5 was a FIFA day when Bosnia played Egypt and Iran played Guinea. But the dates for the friendlies against Belarus and Montenegro aren't FIFA days. Hence, those players are unlikely to be available.

Teymourian had a surgery a few days ago, but its on his hand and there is no reason why he shouldn't be alright in a few weeks. He is alright now, except he has a cast on his hand. I don't know much about Hosseini's injury, but it is supposed to be a "groin injury" and he is scheduled to have an MRI. It didn't sound too serious but he will miss his next club match. Hopefully he will be back and ready to play for us, possibly even as early as our upcoming friendlies in March.

We have, however, faced a slew of other injuries that don't effect so much the starters and the main national team players, but affect some of our substitutions and our clubs who have AFC Champions League matches coming up. In fact, a couple of our clubs (Esteghlal and now Foolad) seem completely depleted and hardly in a position to put together 18 players for their games. I was speculating that perhaps some of these injuries have something to do with the domestic club v national team arguments we have had, with some of these players feigning injury to be on Queiroz's good side but that doesn't seem to be the case.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    My comments relating to Iran's friendlies against Belarus and Montenegro proceeded on a false assumption, namely that we will play those games in late March. I got the dates of the friendlies wrong and that means the rest of my comments on who might or might not be available were premature.

24. rafalthepol

rafalthepol New Member

May 12, 2014
    Argentina and Nigeria without a doubt

25. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Yep, tough draw for the euro and asian teams.
    Unless big upset first match and Nigeria falters.

Overrating Argentina? Can Argentina be overrated?