Poll Time

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Sep 25, 2018.

?

Should EDF be sacked?

1. Yes - he is unquestionably the biggest problem here

31.8%
  2. No - he is only part of the problem and a sacking any time soon would be premature

68.2%
  1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If you think EDF is the biggest problem here then vote yes. If not, vote no.

2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest yes. Transfer market the last 2 summers have not been great but more than good enough for him to fashion a unit that can beat the likes of the bottom feeders we have been dropping points too.

3. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    EDF has been awful from the start, as time passes I'm more convinced it was the players that dragged us to the CL semi and EDF did everything to stop it with his dumb formations

4. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    And yet, most of those same players are unable to drag us to victory against Chievo and Bologna? No, something there doesnt compute.....

5. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think Fazio and Kolarov are done though... they can't play at that level again, they've successfully gone to the world cup and now they're spent because they're both past it, why does EDF keep picking them?

I honestly thought when Marcano came in it was to be a starter next to Manolas, Fazio is too slow for the high line EDF keeps playing, and Kolarov... well, we have 2 other left backs... for what reason if we don't play them? Kolarov can't run anymore so we have two donkeys on the left side of defence every match, one who jogs back after bombing too far forward and one who's too slow to cover anything

I think you're confusing what i'm saying as implying these are the same players as last season...

Strootman, Naingollan, Kolarov, Fazio, Dzeko, Allison... they were/are all experienced and charismatic players that dragged us through those big games (which they were all obviously more motivated for than Chievo and Bologna, which by the way, we both drew with last season when we were playing like garbage)

Tournament football is different to Serie A... once you get out of the group stages anything can happen

Fazio and Kolarov were both playing to go to the world cup (I remember Maicon also having a shit season after a solid season with us while he was trying to make the world cup squad)

I can't remember how many matches last season (even the ones we won) where Allison bailed us out of every game, now he's gone the garbage defence is exposed for what it is, guaranteed 10-15 shots on goal a game

These are all EDF's choices and tactic that have never changed...

I at least can understand the transfer market from the perspective that the core of the squad was going to be too old soon, even if I was disappointed to see quality players depart and Strootman leave after the first match... I can be realistic and understand that this is the way the club will operate until the stadium is built (if...)

wm72 and Big Bad Wolf repped this.
  6. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can already picture it. 10 years from now EDF is leading juve to a 17th straight scudetto. Meanwhile Spalletti is back for his fifth time in charge trying to save another season.

I don’t know how many coaches we have to go through to may be think it’s a management problem.

L'immortale, LordNelson and Shen-O repped this.
  7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the issue is that due to recent success fans expectations have gone up. This is a club that has won a grand total of 3 scudetto and zero European trophies.

The club got extremely lucky that one of their hometown boys became one of the greatest of his generation and stayed with us. We enjoyed some unusual success because of Totti and because he decided to stay.

Then the financial troubles hit and JP & Company bought the club and pulled us out rather quickly and relatively painlessly. 5 straight years of finishing in the top 3.. not even done when Totti was in his prime.

If you look at where this club was historically I would say we are trending up. That doesn't mean there won't be some bear markets but overall we are in a much better situation than... well, probably ever.

BtownKj, wm72, ErPupone and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Good post with some good points and I can certainly see your angle here. I still think it's a bit harsh to give the manager no credit though.

wm72 repped this.
  9. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I voted no simply because im convinced a lot of the purchasing and selling went through EDF.

So to fire the guy means a cluster******** of a mercato. Some patience is required.

wm72 repped this.
  10. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Locker rooms are fickle. It's not uncommon for a squad that performed for a manager one year to be indifferent the next.

Every manager at Chelsea has dealt with that. Ranieri here in 2010, Garcia, etc. Only Guardiola, who is constantly bringing in disciples, seems immune.

Also, we sold the guy who was billed as the true leader after we finished our preseason. Not saying we were wrong to cash out on him at that point, but it was going to have consequences.

11. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Have any 'yes' people changed their mind yet I wonder?

12. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet. He needs to have a solid run of games before I'm convinced. Great couple of games though and hopefully its a start of a good run