POLL: Better year, Meram or Santos?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Feb 25, 2019.

?

Who has the better year, Justin Meram or Pedro Santos?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2019.
  1. Justin Meram

28.1%
  2. Pedro Santos

71.9%
  1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, put your money (or Kyle Brew) where your mouth is. Who has the better year, Justin Meram or Padro Santos?

For the poll, we'll just have to ask that generic question, though I think it would be fair to look at it both statistically (goals, assists, key passes, etc) and with the eye test.

So, who ya got?

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Santos is consistently subpar but more of a defensive presence. Meram can be the best winger in MLS and not good enough for USL in the same game. Who am I kidding, I'm voting Meram because I'm on Team Markus.

Ch(Elsey) and chr1st repped this.
  3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I...err, voted for Pedro.

First, I don't imagine either player will set the league on fire this year. Santos, though, I think can contribute in more ways than Meram.

TrueCrew, BigStern, the_rickler and 3 others repped this.
  4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    We are talking about whether Twinkies or Mountain Dew are the staple of a winning diet.

jairadballerina, CybrSlydr and zman31 repped this.
  5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can’t be great if you aren’t on your feet.

I think Meram will be back to the inconsistent player we all know and love, making him the obvious choice.

zman31 repped this.
  6. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I have a feeling a true answer isn't going to be easily found through out the season. As rough as the MLS write-up that Hang provided was, they nailed it on Meram and Santos: "Justin Meram can do it but he didn't at the levels we've come to expect in 2018. Pedro Santos seems like he can, then usually doesn't, which is unfortunate given the pricetag." Both will probably have mediocre to bad seasons and it will be to the eye of the beholder of whose was better.

I went Santos because I feel his shortcomings are mainly mental and that's something Porter can fix. Meram seems to be a mix of mental/physical and the physical decline isn't something that's easily overcame. Especially when the mental side isn't 100%. I also feel like the substitution/bench will come calling for Meram sooner than Pedro.

Of course, there's always the chance that it clicks for both of them and we get 10 Meram goals all assisted by Santos. Then the real Meram/Santos civil war starts and we get back to the eating of our own that I've heard so much about. Happy Tuesday of Crewsmas Week everyone! Black and Gold Glory Forever!

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my book, a vote against Meram is a vote against Markus.

Not a lot of faith around here in Meram. The lion must show up on Crewsmas.

8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Why are you on a message board when there is a tricycle that needs fixing?

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few weekends ago, we were gifted a hand-me-down tricycle. Since this particular trike has a back basket, Markus has been using it as an opportunity for a new ride.

Here are my two kids yesterday afternoon:

[​IMG]

As of right now, I am not sure if Tal or Markus is playing the part of Meram on the hype tricycle. For the sake of our team, I hope it is Tal. She really has to peddle to move that thing.

10. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    That picture with the dog. You're going for all the heartstrings there.

TKyle and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  12. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I would have voted Meram if I had seen this first.

13. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any improvement from Santos would be like a new signing, so cheers to unsubstantiated blind optimism.

Tobias C and zman31 repped this.
  14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They are both crocked.

A vote for Meram is a vote for hopeless sentimentality (or giving into to Chelsey and Markus's campaign of guilt).

A vote for Pedro is a vote to absolve the sins of a past Head Coach and Sporting Director.

How on earth, on the week of this once unexpected Crewsmas are we subjected to such an awful poll. God save us from ourselves.

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. I was close to starting a poll about a rumor of Christian Pulisic to Crew #EricksonGetFukt. Judging by your temperament, I am glad I did not.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  16. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in the one of the other threads around here, getting MLS average from one, both, any of our wingers would be a step up. I don't think any of them have an MLS best 11 season in them. But a modest improvement of getting something along the lines of ten goals + assists from the 2 spots would do wonders to our point total. All of our "wing minutes played" last year combined for 6 goals and 14 assists (leaders: Hanson with 3 goals, Santos with 7 assists) between 5 players (Hansen, Santos, Meram, Martinez and Grella). If we could get that from the two main guys (whomever they are) and 7 or 8 more g+a from the bench guys, we're in pretty good shape.

Ch(Elsey) and puttputtfc repped this.
  17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's such a contrast. Meram wants to stay on his feet but may not be physically able to do so. Santos can stay on his feet but chooses not to. Meram's ambition makes him the best and worst player in a game at times. Santos ambition means he is comfortably subpar. I just want to see improvement especially with the money these guys make.

Tobias C, zman31 and stanger repped this.
  18. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
  19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-2-26_11-43-18.jpeg

upload_2019-2-26_11-45-22.jpeg

CybrSlydr repped this.
  20. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I HAVE THE STRENGTH OF ZEUS

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't be great if you are standing still either.

Santos.

Though I think both will be better.

Santos = 20 pts (5 g, 10 A)
    Meram = 15 pts (6 g, 3 A)

Hansen & Robinho, & Opoku get some as well.

Tobias C repped this.
  22. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    I wouldn't say it wasn't faith in Meram, just more blind optimism around Santos who in pre-season already tied his goal total for all of last season. It was a damn pretty goal too. Yeah, it's just one goal in pre-season, but it was A SANTOS GOAL!

Plus, he NEEDS to be better. The wage scale says so.

23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They will both score at least 5 goals and get at least 5 assist and start around 28 games . In this scenario Meram brings more value but Pedro would be considered to have the better year since his goal scoring rate has been atrocious. Neither will light the world on fire but both will be Solid and take some pressure of Zardes .

I will not vote because it’s a push in my book

24. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that a bit of improvement is all they need to do. If Meram puts up his MLS career average of a .5 g+a/90 we're in really good shape, 8 goals 9 assists or something like that. His best year for goals he had 13, same for his best year for assists. He doesn't need a career year, just his average.

I am not going to do look up on Pedros career stats. But if he brings his 7 assists from last year back for a repeat and chips in 5 or 6 goals instead of 1, and Meram does his career avg we're a contender for the top spot in the east.

Or if Hansen takes his chance (he was a .5 g+a/90 guy last year) and brings that average back over more than the 1031 minutes he got, then we're fine.

We just need MLS average wing play to be better. Any of these guys can do it. That we're paying MLS elite wing play money for 2 of them is the real rub.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  25. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States