Poland World Cup Squad 2006

Discussion in 'Poland' started by johnmatrix, Jan 5, 2006.

1. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Re: January Transfer Window Thread(Polish Players ONLY)

Agreed. Now if we could only start producing quality CBs, like we do goalkeepers we'd be almost unstoppable. :D

2. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto

and man, we need quality CB's ( and LB's, RB's) big time. sooner the better

NOTE: the following posts were cut from two other threads and than merged so they are in chronological order. We've decided to create a separate thread, so the discussion in the two mentioned before stays on their respective subjects

3. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC

I think our good showing in the group had certainly something to do with this interest in Polish players in the islands. And we are finally getting some respect from the English fans as well. Let's hope that after the WC we'll get the respect that we deserve from the rest of the world as well.

4. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto

I hope so too. I mean the respect from rest of the World beacause everyone in Europe knows that Poland aint San Marino.

As for the interest in polish players, I think that except the good performances, our EU joining has made some difference. No problem with work permits in GB also from than our players dont hog the non-EU player spots in western Europe. They dont have to compete for f.eg 3 spots with South-Americans, Africans etc.

5. Bialagwiazda21

Bialagwiazda21 New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Scottsdale AZ

Looks like we will have GK for years to come. I don't think Bialkowski will start immediatley but he has the physical attributes and talent to be a Peter Cech
    like goalie. Let's give him some time and enjoy. Also, I read that the Wolves website had a vote on who would be a better pick-up for them Rasiak or Frankowski....Rasiak got 14% of the votes Frankowski got the rest. I guess the English fans remember Frankowski's finish at Old Trafford. Pretty funny, I still think Rasiak a is good player but I think he is kind of like a Peter Crouch that can never score. Fans are always gonna pick on him.

PS. This has been an intresting Transfer Window, and this thread has been awesome. :D

6. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto

There is a major difference between Rasiak and Crouch. Crouch actually started scoring and Rasiak probably wont ;)

7. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto

Other than a few of those goals, Crouch got pretty lucky. Rasiak, in my opinion, can be a very useful tool for the Polish NT. His height is an advantage that some countries(eg. Costa Rica) wont be able to handle because they have many small players.

8. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto

You have a point here. Equadorians also probably arent the highest people on earth, but I wouldnt put him in the starting line-up against Germany.

BTW we can beat Costa Rica and Equador without Rasiak :rolleyes:

9. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Re: Who's Polands best player?

I would be really upset if Olisadebe were to be called up for the World Cup, even if he performs miracles at Portsmouth. We simply have better forwards right now, and although Oli can have a good game here and there, that doesn't mean that he will perform at his peak at the World Cup. Assuming that we can take four pure forwards to Germany (I am not counting Smolarek), we will definitely take Zurawski and Frankowski, then Rasiak (becuase a tall striker can be always useful, and the only way he is not going is if he stays at Tottenham and doesn't play there at all), and the fourth spot is a toss up between someone like Saganowski, Olisadebe, Piechna, Niedzielan or even Sosin, or an unproven "future" type like Jelen, Brozek or Slusarski. From what our coaching staff has done in the past, I just don't think they will chose Olisadebe over any of those other guys. More than likely we'll see Brozek, if he gets his act together.

By the way, did you guys read the newest Pilka Nozna? In their rating of our best Polish forwards (they list 14 guys) Olisadebe isn't even mentioned. They are usually in the know about this kinds of things....I don't think Oli is on Janas' radar at all.

10. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto

i think it depends on how he does at Portsmouth. Although i wouldn't really like to see him there, I keep getting this mental image of him coming in as a sub against Costa Rica or something and scoring a winner in the 90th minute.

11. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto

Tell me youre kidding, please :eek: Niedzielan? For what? Sosin? Who? Jelen? Did you ever saw him play? Couple good matches dont mean a WC ticket :rolleyes: Brozek? See Jelen. Slusarski? See Brozek. All of them show NOHTING at the moment! You cant be serious if you think Janas will choose someone from them over Olisadebe

The ones to count here are Saganowski, Piechna and Olisadebe fighting for two spots, beacause imho Janas will take 5 strikers to Germany

12. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto

if anything, hell take zurawski, smolarek, frankowski and rasiak as strikers. Smolarek has been qouted as saying he doesnt see a reason for him playing the wings for Poland when he has been scoring so well in Bundesliga.

13. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto

Dont you see a reason? Do you see a decent RW in our NT? And please dont say Kosowski is decent

Anyway i assure you that Janas will take 5 strikers beacause he can take 23 players, 3 of which are going to be goalkeepers and the remaining 20 spots have to be divided between def, mid, att so it will probably be 7/8/5

14. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto

I'd like to think so...

But Janas really likes Rasiak, and he is tall. And 2 of the 3 teams we play in group stage are from latin america, meaning they aren't exactly going to be playing the game based on headers. So putting two and two together, Rasiak probably has his ticket already.

15. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto

True

16. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto

You don't think Kosowski is a decent wing player? I disagree fully. I think he was one of our best players throughout qualifying. He is very good and useful against tight defences. I think he is all we need on the RW.

17. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto

No way. This guy trips over his own legs and if he doesnt he trips over the ball :rolleyes: Who in your opinion should be the backup RW if he gets carded out or injured? I think that he should be the backup for Smolarek since the line of attack should be Zurawski-Frankowski

18. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto

and about sosin, brozek & jelen, they have very little chance of going. Sosin has 0 chance, unless he gets transferred in the next 2 weeks. If anyone goes from Ekstraklasa, it will be Piechna, and that's only if he continues his torrid pace. Oli's chances slightly went up with this transfer, but unless he lights up the EPL, dont think he has much of a chance either. Niedzelian is kind of 50-50. NEC is having a fairly decent year, and he plays, and has 4 goals this year. Mind you he's no Rooney, but his chances are substantially higher than brozek and co. Saganowski would probably be the front runner right now, by a small margin for that last striker spot. He is playing really well for Guimaraes, even though the team sucks this year. Still lots of time left.

19. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC

Niedzielen imo is as quick, if not quicker than Olisadebe, although he is not as accurate with his shot. I've seen Slusarski, Jelen and Brozek many times, but haven't been really impressed with them, but from all of our B-team friendlies from the last two years or so it looks like at least one of them is groomed to be a bench player at the WC, probably at the expense of Olisadebe or another player like him. Besides, after being humiliated by having to watch the Iceland(?) game from the stands, do you think that Olisadebe would even want to play for Poland again? And I do think that the less guys from the 2002 World Cup we bring, the better. Sure we need a few (Klos, Bak, of course Zurawski) because they've been there and they can explain it all to the newcomers to such a huge event, but I just don't see Olisadebe in a "mentor" role, do you?

Bu it is interesting that you feel that Janas will take five strikers. I just don't see this happening, but who knows....there are some rumors floating around that we'll play with a 4-3-3 in at least some of the matches at the World Cup, and that we'll try that tactic against the US in the March friendly. But if that happens, we'll need speedier defensemen, and the question still remains which of the three forwards Janas would utilize...I think a combination Zurawski, Frankowski and either Rasiak or Smolarek, depending on the gameplan.

20. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC

Legionista, you need to watch the Road to World Cup again. I know that your kind don't take too lightly to some of these Wisla types, especially those with disgusting greasy hair :) , but see how instrumental Kosowski was in the qualifiers, especially against tough opponents!

21. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto

Tell me what is 4 goals in the Eredivisie? :rolleyes: I know that Niedzielan will probably go but, i dont think he deserved it. I realise that Olisadebe has to be spectacular to earn a spot, so I would give it to Saganowski but I may be a bit biased ;) As for the Ekstraklasa probably noone will go beacause Piechna wont be a domestic based player by the end of january ;)

Mentioning Brozek, Jelen and Sosin here is a sick joke. They didnt do anything to deserve it and their chances equal nil

22. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto

I would be quite dissapointed if Kosowski isnt a starter at the WC. Say Smolarek is a mid, we would have Krzynowek, Sobolewski, Kosowski and Smolarek as starting mids. Unless I'm forgetting someone, who else could we put there. Hopefully Lewandowski will be in defence too.

23. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto

exactly!...Kosowski was very important in qualifying. Only drawback is that his hair makes him look like Jesus.

24. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto

Either way, Janas has some decisions to make. It would be better to take 5 strikers, simply to avoid conflict.

And with this 4-3-3 idea, I would think that Smolarek would have to be a striker, since they play that formation at BVB and he is the central striker.

25. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC

EWrr...the name "Szymkowiak" springs to mind :) :) ;)