Poland Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Poland' started by karny9, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Bialagwiazda21

Bialagwiazda21 New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Scottsdale AZ
    Yeah, that would never happen. But I had an intresting though after I posted that link. Look at all the strong leagues in Europe. What is the fundamental difference between us and the Germans, Italians, English, French leagues? Our league is not mainstream. Most people don't go to games because of hooliganism, poor level of play, horrible stadiums and so on. Then in turn major sponsors are hesitant to sponsor teams because of the fact attendance and interest in the Ekstraklasa is so low. And in the end our soccer is the biggest loosers beacause they don't have revenue from attendance or sponsors to keep good players in Poland and attracting players from abroad to play in our League. If you think of soccer as a business Poland will never be a major player until we get competitive. To me that means modernizing the stadiums, banning hooliganism and racism and putting a better product on the field. I doubt a 2 year suspension of the league would be beneficial but changes have to be made.

PS. That is an awesome picture of Boniek in that article. Coolin out smoking a ciggarrete.

2. Bialagwiazda21

Bialagwiazda21 New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Scottsdale AZ

We were posting at the same time but I just wanted to add that you read my mind as was writing my last post. :)

3. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    How did it feel when Poland lost to a reportedly inferior US team?

4. deyna199

deyna199 Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    like stepping in dog shit...we had a key guy or two missing as well...

5. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    I hope so, you got scored on by a guy from MLS.

6. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    If your motives for this question were to try and stir some sheet up on this board I'd advise against it. Valid criticisms are welcome here, but there is no room for groundless superiority, inferiority bs.

7. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
    and what skill he has shown while scoring this goal :D it bounced of his head :D

8. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    Yeah, well if your defender would've kept his assignents then it wouldn't even have reached his head.

9. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    go troll somewhere else or you'll be banned from this part of the site

10. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
    Sorry, I was putting down random thoughts for this "Random Thoughts Thread."

11. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
  12. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    ohh that would piss off the Americans:cool:

13. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
  14. Legionista

Legionista New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Warszawa/Toronto
    no such club im afraid

15. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    As promised...

It was still winter in Krakow, with plenty of new snow. However, Sunday (match day) was sunny & cold.

All week I was in Krakow & other towns, I kept asking Poles that I met in bars and on the street about Wisła & football in general--but very few admitted to being supporters. Nevertheless, Wisla kits & scarves were on sale everywhere. And Wisła & other dubious graffiti "art" marred many buildings--often without regard for stunning architecture. [see attached photos]

Even in the Centrum beer was cheap (Żywiec & Tyskie: under $2 for .5 liter).

The taxi driver drove me past Cracovia's stadium, which is only several hundred meters of parkland away from Wisła's home. Similar to Liverpool-Everton. I suspect Krakow's "new" stadium will be shared by both clubs(?)

The crowd of about 8000 was larger and more sedate than I expected, and generally failed to live up to the spray-painted bravado claiming to speak for it. More women and children than I saw at Italian Serie A matches.

The match was entertaining thoughout, even after Paweł Brożek's early goal. In all, I was impressed with Poland, which seems to be emerging into a dynamic country. Quickly claiming it's new place in Europe, its football culture and infrastructure seem to be modernizing also.

16. Jaga

Jaga New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    in my house
    hmmm idk get it why would take a picture of a nazi sign ??

17. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    To illustrate what I saw on & near ubiquitous Wisla graffiti. I make no further judgments.

18. Jaga

Jaga New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    in my house
    i know but wasnt there better stuff to see then nazi sings

no offense or anything just want to know ??

19. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    good toknow you enjoyed it

20. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    can someone explain to me how the poland club placing takes place for UEFA Cup & Intertoto Cup takes place?

I know that last year was different for CL because of the whole L'pool thing, and that it's going to be back to normal this year. But what happens if Arsenal wins and doesn't qualify for CL, do we still get our team to the 3rd Q Round automatically or what?

Anyways, if you know about the UEFA Cup & Intertoto Cup placing I'd really like to know, thanks

22. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    This is Poland's current ranking in the UEFA, based on the performance of the club teams in the last 5 years of the competirion in the CL and UC.

http://www.90minut.pl/ranking_uefa.php

22 Poland 4,125 6,625 4,125 2,500 1,125 18,500 1 Champions League, 2 UEFA Cup

These stats mean that in the 2007/2008 UEFA season we will have one less UEFA Cup spot assigned to us. In the 2006/2007 season we still have 3 teams in the UEFA Cup.

As far as the domestic choices for the UEFA Cup go, the 2nd and 3rd teams in the OE will participate in the UEFA Cup starting in the 2nd qualifying round, while the Polish Cup winner (Zaglebie Lubin or Wisla Plock) will participate in the UEFA Cup starting in the 1st Round of the competion.

Poland's entry into the Intertoto Cup will be the 4th best team in the current edition of the Orange Ekstraklasa, unless that team turns out to be either Zaglebie Lubin or Wisla Plock, in which case the 5th best team would participate in the Intertoto Cup. As far as I know this years edition of the IC will include only one participant from each federation.

23. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    About the Intertoto, I heard that 11 teams now go from Intertoto to UEFA Cup...?

24. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Actually they posted the draw for the Intertoto Cup 2006 today, and yes 11 teams that win in the third round advance to the 2nd qualifying round of the UEFA Cup.

For us that means that our club will enter the IC competition in the 2nd round and face the winner of the first round match between a club from ...

First round.
    8. Azerbaijan - Moldova

Second round.
    I. winner 8 - Poland

Third round.
    winner H [H. Austria - winner 5(Armenia - Georgia) - winner I

All in all not a bad draw for us. Whoever we send must get by the winner of the first round matchup, and I think we got a good shot at winning v. a 4th or 5th Austrian team, I hope anyway.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/IntertotoCup/news/Kind=1/newsId=412509.html

http://www.90minut.pl/news.php?id=396223

As far as the Champions League is concerned, this is the current outlook for the winner of the Orange Ekstraklasa 2005/2006 edition.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL/news/Kind=1/newsId=410629.html

25. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    The Champions League thing is kind of hard to understand, I mean, I know what will happen, just it's hard to follow who reaps the benefit of Barcelona winning, or how it changes if someone like Arsenal wins and doesn't qualify for the CL.

All in all, the Intertoto thing is pretty good. Getting Austria is far better than France or England or something. I can't wait for all this stuff to start again, always gets me excited when polish clubs are playing in Europe.