News: Pocono Snow expansion franchise

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by msilverstein47, Nov 27, 2008.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POCONO SNOW SOCCER CLUB
    The Pocono Snow, a summer soccer club with teams for men, women and youth players, will kick off its inaugural season in May, 2009. Adult games will be played at Eiler-Martin Stadium on the campus of ESU. The club is looking for investors (stocks will be issued), staff and sponsors. Our first informational meeting will be held TODAY, Nov. 23 at The Dansbury Depot at 6 p.m.. Contact Patrick D. Mullally at (570) 476-0500 or Bob Ehrlich at (610) 248-5885.Contact via email at: gosnowsoccer@gmail.com.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WANT TO OWN A SOCCER CLUB?

ISN'T THAT ANOTHER AMBITION IN LIFE TO BE AN OWNER OF A SPORTS TEAM? NOW, YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO REALIZE THAT AMBITION BY INVESTING IN THE "POCONO SNOW".

THE POCONO SNOW IS A PREMIER, SUMMER SOCCER CLUB WITH TEAMS FOR MEN (NPSL), WOMEN (WPSL) AND YOUTH (YPSL) THAT WILL KICK OFF ITS INAUGURAL SEASON IN MAY OF 2009. SNOW IN MAY WILL BE A REALITY! MENS AND WOMENS HOME GAMES ARE TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED TO BE PLAYED ON THE NEW TURF AT ESU'S STADIUM.

POCONO SNOW IS A REGISTERED LLC LOOKING FOR INVESTMENT PARTNERS; SOCCER ENTHUSIASTS WITH A LOCAL, CIVIC PRIDE PREFERRED. ONLY 35 SHARES OF STOCK WILL BE ISSUED AND CAN BE PURCHASED AT $1000 EACH. VOTING POWERS WILL MATCH THE NUMBER OF SHARES OWNED BY INVESTORS. CURRENTLY ABOUT HALF OF THE SHARES ARE SPOKEN FOR.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR NOT ONLY INVESTORS, BUT SPONSORS, VOLUNTEERS, COACHES AND OF COURSE PLAYERS.

OUR NEXT INFORMATIONAL MEETING WILL BE HELD ON SUNDAY, DECEMBER 21ST AT THE DANSBURY DEPOT RESTAURANT ON 50 CRYSTAL STREET IN EAST STROUDSBURG.

CONTACT INFO: PATRICK D MULLALLY @ 570 476 0500 OR BOB EHRLICH @ 610 248 5885. E-MAIL gosnowsoccer@gmail.com or dansbury@verizon.net. CLICK ON www.freewebs.com/gosnowsoccer .

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're looking to get together to go over the latest plans at Carlos' house tonight at 6 PM. Whoever wants to go should get hold of me for a map. Carlos lives on Mountain Rd in Saylorsburg, PA...HKLUSA@aol.com

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Snow are pleased to announce their first player signing for 2009! 2008 NPSL MVP Tom Ehrlich

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that HKLUSA@aol.com's son? ;)

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pocono Snow 2009 Schedule

22-May
    Friday
    @ Buffalo City FC
    7:00 PM

23-May
    Saturday
    @ Erie Admirals
    3:00 PM

29-May
    Friday
    Charm City FC

31-May
    Sunday
    Pennsylvania Stoners

6-Jun
    Saturday
    @ FC Revolution

17-Jun
    Wednesday
    @ Charm City FC
    6:00 PM

27-Jun
    Saturday
    FC Revolution

2-Jul
    Thursday
    @ Pennsylvania Stoners

8-Jul
    Wednesday
    Erie Admirals

10-Jul
    Friday
    Buffalo City FC

18-Jul
    Saturday
    Playoffs
    TBD

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pocono Snow, Northeastern Pennsylvania’s Minor League Soccer Team, has slated its opening round of tryouts for Saturday, May 2 at 1 PM and Sunday, May 3 at 1 PM. The tryouts will be held at the Snow’s home field, Eiler-Martin Stadium, on the campus of East Stroudsburg University. Those qualifying for the next round will be tried out on May 5 & May 7 at 6 PM. The cost of the tryout is $25 and those trying out get a Stoners season ticket T-shirt.

The tryouts will be held under the tutelage of Coach Paulo Nani DaSilva, formerly coach at Sao Paulo Futebol Club of Brazil. Players will be expected to come fit and ready to play soccer. Applications and release forms can be found on the Snow’s website: www.gosnowsoccer.com. Players who have already signed with the Snow will have the tryout fee waived.

For more information: Contact Pat Mullally at 570 476 6463 or pmullally1@verizon.net
    Or Bob Ehrlich at 610 248 5885 or gosnowsoccer@gmail.com
    www.gosnowsoccer.com

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By ADAM McNAUGHTON
    Pocono Record Writer
    February 13, 2009
    Anyone who recognizes the name of the new minor league soccer team taking shape in the Poconos is probably a soccer fan from long ago.

Organizers of the new team — set to take the field this summer on the East Stroudsburg University campus — are hoping that they can turn the rest of you into soccer fans.

Snow in May
    What: Minor League Soccer team

Where: Home games at ESU Eiler-Martin Stadium

When: A 10-game season starts May 22, first home game May 29

Cost: Adult tickets to cost $5, kids get in free

Players: The team will hold tryouts starting May 2, but several local players have already signed to play including ESU's Danny Drago.

Head coach: Brazilian Paulo Nani DaSilva

Web site: www.freewebs.com/gosnowsoccer
    The Pocono Snow was a local semi-pro soccer team in the 1980s and the name will now live on when minor league soccer returns in May.

"There's nothing like this around here and we're looking to build up excitement for the sport," said Patrick Mullally of the Pocono Snow board of directors.

The team is coming together this spring as organizers work to line up players, coaches, sponsors and fans. The Snow will play in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) and face teams from as far away as Buffalo, N.Y., and as nearby as the Lehigh Valley.

The team will have a lot in common with the 2008 NPSL Champion Lehigh Valley Stoners, with three of the Snow's founding members working with the Stoners last year and several of that team's players jumping to the Snow.

Board member Bob Ehrlich said the team will look to take the history of the Pocono Snow name and create a lasting program of youth clinics and soccer development in the area.

The board is still working on organizing the upcoming season. Players are still being lined up and more details will be worked out before the team takes the field at ESU's Eiler-Martin stadium in May.

9. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is ESU's field? I played on it about 20 years ago (boy do I feel old). And I seem to remember that it was a good field, can't remember if they had stands or not. I remember the cliff at Lock Haven more.

And reading all of these PA related threads has me hungry for Utz chips, birch beer, Lebanon bologna and Yngling.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To youth soccer administrators/coaches:
    My name is Pat Mullally and I work with the Pocono Snow, the area’s new minor league soccer club. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to our programs and to offer our club to help service you.
    First, I’d like to introduce you to what the snow is all about:

Who
    Gary Olson – President of ESSA, local soccer pioneer, an original member of the Snow
    Jerry Sheska – Coach at East Stroudsburg University, former professional coach
    Pat Mullally – Coach at Stroudsburg United, local soccer player, former owner Dansbury Depot
    Carlos Madeira – Coach at West End, former Pennsylvania Stoners professional player
    What
    · The group has developed the Pocono Snow to get involved with local soccer development.
    · The first step in our development was the purchase of a franchise in the NPSL, a national minor soccer league. This team is called the Pocono Snow.
    When
    · The team selection has already started with the signing of nine players, including 2008 NPSL MVP Tom Ehrlich, local standout Danny Drago, ESU standout Jeff Herber, Pleasant Valley star Bobby Pipech and former Champion Stoners Aaron Gildner, Zach Gibbon, Ty Fenstermacher, Dave Young and Adam Wolf.
    · The team will hold tryouts starting in May and will start league play in the summer of 2009.
    · The team will be coached by Paulo Nani DaSilva. He returns to Eastern Pennsylvania during the spring of 2009 to reconnect with an area that he had adopted as a second home. As a player for Brazilian first division sides Sao Paulo, Fluminense and Santos, Paulo played with and against some of the world’s greatest players during the Brazilian Golden Age. Paulo played outside of Brazil with Pueblas in Mexico, the New York Eagles and Pennsylvania Stoners from the ASL, where he won the championship in 1980. As a coach, Paulo worked primarily in the youth system at Sao Paulo, where he scouted and coached such players as Kaka and Julio Baptista. Prior to the prodigal son’s return, Paulo spent time with the new club Recreativo Gremio Barueri, the University of Michigan and Lokomitiv Moscow.
    Where
    · The team will be playing its matches at newly renovated Eiler-Martin Stadium, on the camps of East Stroudsburg University
    · The team will hold other events, including tryouts, training and instruction, at a variety of locations.
    Why
    · We love soccer. It is the largest youth participant sport in the region and because it is vast, we believe we can help pull together a culture to make it work.
    · The team will serve as a vehicle to publicize our efforts, to show positive role models and to give local youth players a target to attain.
    · The Snow name was chosen as homage to the elite soccer team that played in the Poconos through the 1970’s and 1980’s. The team, featuring many local players and players from East Stroudsburg University, defeated the US Olympic team at Eiler-Martin Stadium.
    How
    · We believe that the effort is quite sustainable with low ticket prices, primarily sponsorship driven revenues and the exposure of our team through local media, which was not practical back in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
    · The Pocono Snow will be the Poconos only minor league team of any sort.

For more information, contact Pat Mullally at 570 476 6463 or pmullally1@verizon.net
    or at 610 248 5885 or gosnowsoccer@gmail.com

Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, here’s what we’d like to do with you:
    · All of your club’s players get in free if they wear their club’s jersey. That’s every game, all year. Kids do need to be chaperoned, however, and it costs ONLY $5 for an adult tcket!
    · We would like your club to play matches before our home games. They would play about 35-45 minute games, cross field on the Turf at Eiler-Martin Stadium.
    · We would like to take this opportunity to hold free clinics for your team. All you need to do is to call the above numbers and get hold of us. Our players and staff will be in town around the first of May.
    · We will be considering the placement of teams into a new Youth League called YPSL. This league runs only during the summer and we ‘borrow’ players only (we do not have a year-round youth program) for the summer. For more information, go to http://www.youthpremiersoccerleague.com.

As you can see, we have tons of plans to go forward and to help build soccer in this area. We ask that you send this mail around to your club and players and come to us with any questions or comments.

Pocono Snow 2009 Schedule
    17-May Sunday Morris County Colonials (X) 7:00 PM
    22-May Friday @ Buffalo City FC 7:00 PM
    23-May Saturday @ Erie Admirals 3:00 PM
    29-May Friday Charm City FC 7:00 PM
    31-May Sunday Pennsylvania Stoners 7:00 PM
    6-Jun Saturday @ FC Revolution 7:00 PM
    17-Jun Wednesday @ Charm City FC 6:00 PM
    27-Jun Saturday FC Revolution 7:00 PM
    2-Jul Thursday @ Pennsylvania Stoners 7:00 PM
    8-Jul Wednesday Erie Admirals 7:00 PM
    10-Jul Friday Buffalo City FC 7:00 PM
    18-Jul Saturday Playoffs TBD

X = exhibition
    Temporary website: www.freewebs.com/gosnowsoccer

11. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    ESU's field is now turf. The track is redone, as well. FYI, Lock Haven does not play by the cliff anymore. They now play in the stadium on new Fieldturf. My kid plays there and I thought it would ruin the ambience by not playing by the cliff. It doesn't. The stadium has a great view of the valley, the river and the town...

12. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
  13. southernsoccerdoc

southernsoccerdoc New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Williamsburg, Va.
    Lock Haven, that team should be a very good one judging from the recruits they get. I attend most of the big tournaments and academy events and one of the best midfield players I have seen in the youth soccer ranks in quite a while committed to go there last year. I may need to get up that way some time and catch a game since the scenery is so nice.

14. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ambience that I remember from playing by the cliff was the drunks at the top of the cliff.

15. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    You know, their coach is really a good guy and I believe he doesn't need too much to put a good team on the field.... They have lots of good players, but not necessarily what you'd call the best...

16. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    They banned those guys a while ago and put a fence up there. It is a shame that the 'ambiance' was a bit ruined, but the new place is quite nice. You know, whenever we played them, we made them play us at home. Looking at it now, I wish we had played them away at least once...

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pocono Snow, Northeastern Pennsylvania’s Minor League Soccer Team, has slated its opening round of tryouts for Saturday, March 21 at 1 PM and Sunday, March 22 at 1 PM. The tryouts will be held at the Mary Street Fields, on the campus of East Stroudsburg University. Those qualifying for the next round will be tried out on May 2 & May 3 at 1 PM. The cost of the tryout is $35 and those trying out get a Snow T-shirt.

These tryouts are open to any age player. Tryouts are also being held at this time for the youth (U19) and reserve teams, which will both be playing active schedules.

The tryouts will be held under the tutelage of Coach Paulo Nani DaSilva, formerly coach at Sao Paulo Futebol Club of Brazil. Players will be expected to come fit and ready to play soccer. Applications, directions and release forms can be found here. Players who have already signed with the Snow will have the tryout fee waived.

For more information: Contact Pat Mullally at 570 476 6463 or pmullally1@verizon.net
    Or 610 248 5885 or gosnowsoccer@gmail.com

18. hammers01

hammers01 Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Harrisburg, Pa.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They recruited two of the best players in the Mid-Atlantic region last year at midfield and forward who could have played just about anywhere. A lot of people thought they had a better incoming class than most of our Mid-Atlantic Div. 1 chools. How does their recruiting class look for 2009? any top players coming in? I have not heard anything so far.

19. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    I really don't know. As a DII school, their players make choices later...

20. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I would fall into the category of awhile of go since I've been there. I graduated in '88. But back then schools played all type of levels of teams (ie D1, D2, D3 and NAIA). But I had some friends on the Lock Haven teams from the mid 80s that contributed to Penn State stoping to play them. They would play them tough and Penn State really didn't have anything to gain from playing them. Although still have a deep dislike for everything Lock Haven and you can through in Gannon also.

Back to the thread. I hope the Snow does well and has a long life. It's alwasy good to see more opportunties for college players.

21. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    Played at PSU from 1975-1978 and LHUP was a tough squad. So were ESU and clubs like Simon Fraser and Quincy. It seemed a lot freer back then. You could play on clubs during the offseason and learn the trade from some really good players... Nowadays, everything is so regimented it takes away from the ability to grow...

22. ReadyToDoIt

ReadyToDoIt New Member

May 31, 2008
    Dublin
    Looks like a good organisation! keep the news coming in, nice job

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are cordially invited to attend a press conference to announce the formation of the Pocono's minor league soccer club, the Pocono Snow.** The press conference will be held at noon on March 19th at the Glen Brook Country Club in Stroudsburg, PA.** All the information you need is attached to this mail.** For further questions (and answers), please call Patrick D Mullally**at 570 476 6463 or contact him via e-mail at gosnowsoccer@gmail.com.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pocono Snow joining NPSL
    By Gary R. Blockus | Of The Morning Call
    March 20, 2009
    You don't need a meteorologist to predict the forecast for East Stroudsburg University's Eiler-Martin Stadium on May 29: Snow.

That's Snow as in the Pocono Snow, the newest member of the National Premier Soccer League. Area soccer fans got to see the NPSL up close and personal last season with the revival of the Pennsylvania Stoners, and the Snow gives the region a second team in the Northeast Division as well as an immediate regional rival for the defending NPSL-champion Stoners, who will play their games at the Whitehall High School complex this season.

The first-year Snow will wear orange and blue Puma uniforms and feature several former Stoners players, including NPSL Player of the year Tom Ehrlich, who scored three goals in the national title game.

Why the switch?

''I'm following my dad,'' Tom Ehrlich said Thursday afternoon at Glen Brook Golf Club in Stroudsburg, where the team had a press conference to introduce four players, its coaching staff and the team's board of the directors.

''The idea was to concentrate on just soccer,'' said Bob Ehrlich, Tom's father, an original member of the professional Pa. Stoners back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, who helped re-start the name with the current Stoners club.

Ehrlich left that club about halfway through last season after feeling handcuffed by the Stoners non-profit status.

''There are things you're doing as a non-profit that aren't based on soccer,'' he said. ''We decided to do this club based on soccer, for soccer. We're designated to be 'for profit,' but it doesn't mean we'll make a profit.''

So far, the club has signed the younger Ehrlich, former Stoner Danny Drago (East Stroudsburg U.), and ESU players Michael Kane and Jason Rudder, who were on hand Thursday, and Aaron Gildner (Parkland/DeSales U.), Jeff Herber (Southern Lehigh/ESU), Ty Fenstermacher (Emmaus/Mount St. Mary's College) and Dave Young (Saucon Valley/Lock Haven U.).

Additional tryouts are this weekend at the Mary Street Field in East Stroudsburg, and the first weekend in May.

The team will be coached by former Pennsylvania Stoner Paolo ''Nani'' Da Silva, a Brazilian who discovered Ronaldino. Da Silva, who arrived in the U.S. last week, said he's hoping to stay in this country at least until November. Anthony Creece of Notre Dame High School - East Stroudsburg and formerly with the women's Northampton Laurels, is the assistant coach.

In addition to the NPSL team, the Snow plans to field a reserve men's team and one or two women's premier teams to play ''friendlies'' with teams in other leagues. The Northampton Laurels of the Women's Premier Soccer League have suspended operations for this season, so the Snow are looking to give some of those players the chance to continue playing this summer.

Board members for the new club include the elder Ehrlich, former Stoner and Dieruff High School player Carlos Madeira, Glen Brook owner Pat Mullally, who is the club's general manager, ESU men's coach Jerry Sheska, East Stroudsburg Savings Association president Gary Olson, Budget Inn and Suites owner Barth Rubin.

The season begins with an exhibition game at Pleasant Valley High School on May 17. The regular-season home opener is Friday, May 29 against Charm City (Baltimore) F.C. For more information on the Pocono Snow, go to http://www.gosnowsoccer.com .