Plymouth Argyle - Home Park Heros

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by JacksonJazz#9, Jul 25, 2007.

1. greenarmyfan

greenarmyfan New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
  2. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably Ottawa Green.... he is usually much more in the know than i am when it comes to Plymouth Argyle..

but.. another loss today... answer me this.... it you JUST score, how can you let the other team come right back down and score against you LESS THAN A MINUTE LATER????? that really is horrible!!!

will kenny cooper help Argyle's stagnant offense? i say he cant hurt!!

3. greenarmyfan

greenarmyfan New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    I say 'I hope you're right!'. To be honest we have a poor squad as our league position indicates and little money to significantly improve it in the short term. Survival depends on the coaches' (Mariner & Carver) ability to organise, make us tough to beat, and grind out 1-0 wins. Tony Pulis(now at Stoke) did the same for us a few years back when we looked doomed. It ain't pretty but if we can survive this year, new investment may be found now that we are a possible World Cup venue for 2018.

4. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thought we were supposed to have new investment with the new chairman and the japanese investor?

problem is we continue to fall farther and farther from safety.... 1 in every 4 game is not going to save us.. we need to, as you say, be tough to beat, and i will take boring Pulis soccer if it saves us....

hard to believe just a few years back we were battling for a playoff spot under Ian Holloway's management... now battling for survival... ugh

5. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well hopefully he will be able to add something to our offense.

6. Ottawa Green

Ottawa Green Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Ottawa
    Busy day at Home Park

Players in Kenny Cooper and Darmian Johnson http://www.pafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10364~1951955,00.html

Players out

Jason Puncheon to Southampton permanent
    Damian McCrory to Dagenham permanent
    Steve Maclean to Aberdeen loan
    James Patterson to Aberdeen loan
    George Donnolly to Stockport loan
    Gow to Hibernian loan

7. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, does this loan deal mean we are, or are not, on the hook for their wages? same with Cooper and Johnson, are their wages our responsibility? i hope these new guys can produce!! or we are sunk

8. Ottawa Green

Ottawa Green Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Ottawa
    Johnson definately we are on the hook for his salary as his was a full transfer, he belongs to Argyle, i would imagine we are for Cooper as we had to pay the German team a loan transfer fee and there is a deal that if at the end of the season we like him and he likes Argyle he will be transferred to Argyle.
    Puncheon and McCrory no longer belong to Argyle. the 4 loanees, especially the 3 to Scottish teams i expect we are paying at least 50% of their salary as the Scottish clubs dont have much money.

9. Ottawa Green

Ottawa Green Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Ottawa
  10. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I gushed on Cooper earlier, but here's some food for thought on him, for those that might not follow MLS, and this thread seems to be about 50/50 on that: When Cooper left FC Dallas for Europe last summer, Dallas were the second worst team in the league, pretty much an automatic result. After he left, Dallas went on a tear that put them into the playoffs. With Cooper on the roster they took 17 pts in 18 games for a total of 0.94 ppg. After Cooper, they dismantled the league, taking 22 pts in 12 games, or 1.83 ppg. Sadly, this included a 6-0 drubbing of my beloved Kansas City that I actually drove over 600 miles to attend. :(

Make of that what you will. He's still a gifted footballer, but maybe he rubs his teammates the wrong way. It's also true that after he left, their coach suddenly started playing the U20 internationals who had previously been warming his bench--that might have something to do with it as well.

11. Devonportender

Devonportender New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Unfortunately we pay a lot more wages than the clubs in Scotland so we will still have to pay a hefty slice of the wages. But the important thing for us is we aren't paying all of their wages and we don't have unwanted players sitting around creating an atmosphere.

None of the dead wood is at Argyle now, still some work to be done in the summer but for now the good ship should be sailing on calmer waters :D

12. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DevonportEnder... welcome to the thread and thanks for posting!!! i assume you are right in Plymouth, so we have 2 posters now that are posting in this thread... thanks!! and we can use your imput on all things Argyle...

i hope you are right about the ship being righted and headed toward calmer waters... the team needs some points desperately, before no one is within striking range...

D.... do you think Paul Mariner is the right man for the job? was Luggy too far out of his league to try and save us from relegation? how can PM think to save us if he has -0- manager experience???

whats your opinion?

13. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong, that's my bad, they missed the playoffs by a point. My point is that something is amiss there, and it's possible Cooper might have had something to do with it in some way. Or not. My money remains on Cooper having a positive impact at Home Park.

14. Devonportender

Devonportender New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Hi JJ, thanks for the warm welcome. I think Mariner is a fantastic appointment. Especially with John Carver as his No2. We've even had England and Arsenal legend Tony Adams helping out recently.
    Mariner started his first 2 games with a odd formation, he felt we weren't creating enough chances so wanted to play a different style of football. It didn't work, we lost both games which we shouldn't have really, niether team were on a good run. But where some managers would be stubbon he quickly saw the error of his ways and reverted to the god old tried and trusted 4-4-2, sure enough we started playing football and the points started coming.
    He's a very passionate man, great with the players but also quite strong. I think he's learnt quickly and will continue to learn and we will benefit from it. He has total backing from everyone at the club and i really do feel we will move up the league. It won't be easy, we're 5 points adrift again and we have West Brom this weekend who are the best in the division IMO, lose and we could be 8 points adrift and then you have the mental mountain to climb too.
    But it's never dull being an Argyle fan!!!

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    FCDallas had a very poor squad at the start of last season and Cooper was one of the few bright spots. they gradually got rid of players who could'nt play and brought in some that could so by the end of the season they were as good as anyone in the league....had Cooper stayed they may well have won the MLS Cup.

16. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England66... thanks for posting on the Argyle thread...

i just hope KCjr can put some balls in the net.. we need some goals for survival...

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    He can finish chances thats for sure.....just make him some....

18. Ottawa Green

Ottawa Green Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Ottawa
    Argyle 0 WBA 1 FT

Cooper came on for last 30 mins, did not here his name mentioned once after he came on.

19. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didnt think we were going to take any points from this game anyway

20. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Cooper had'nt played a competitive game since November due to his knee injury suffered at 1860 Munich....chances are it will take several games for him (as it would any player coming back from injury) to get up to top form....games that Argyle may not have. Paul Mariner had to know this.

21. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    66.... that was my thought as i was reading your post... Argyle may not have the games he needs to get fit....

come on Plymouth, all we need to do is finish 4th from the bottom!!!

22. Ottawa Green

Ottawa Green Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Ottawa
    Reading 2 Argyle 1

Argyle were poor in the first half, made 2 subs at halftime, Cooper coming on and things changed Argyle put on the pressure and came close to scoring and with all this pressure Reading broke away and scored, Argyle kept plugging away and after 68 mins Fletcher equalised. The game went back and forth, yet Argyle did not look like scoring again, Argyle seemed to be hanging on for a draw. And then A DUBIOUS penalty award well into injury-time from 28-year-old referee Oliver Langford condemned Argyle to a cruel defeat at the hands of relegation rivals Reading. The bold bit came from official site, this penalty came in the 94th minute

It looked as though the win would elude the home side as Brian Howard's fizzing free-kick somehow stayed out with just moments remaining, but substitute Robson-Kanu did brilliantly to win a spot-kick in stoppage time and Reading's number nine showed a cool head to slot home the winne Taken from Reading's website

23. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh... we give up another late goal... cruel.... OG, we may be doomed

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004