"Please sir, can I have some more?" the Olivier Giroud Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Super Llama, Jun 26, 2012.

1. sienna

sienna Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Welcome to the Arsenal Olivier.

2. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal officially announced the completion of signing Olivier Giroud from Montpellier. It's very exciting news for Arsenal fans.

3. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice. Now if Robin will just sign back on, so we don't have to break out the Mary Poppins song.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I heard we like belhanda and one of their cbs too, seems a good signing

5. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so far so good. :)

Did he go to Hertfordshire to sign though? I guess as France is out, he has the chance.

6. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Giroud realized
    That we had the most beautiful team

- The Flaming Lips

goonsquad repped this.
  7. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    This just guaranteed Van Persie has played his last game for Arsenal.
    Big pressure (boots) to fill for Olivier.

8. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    not at all, he's a replacement for Chamakh. We can't attempt to go through another season with only one quality striker. We made that mistake last season, and just about got away with it. If RvP goes, we'll need to go out and buy another

9. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Chamakh wants to stay and "fight" for his place against Giroud in RvP leaves. However, he wants to leave if RvP stays.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    nah, he replacing Robin. Unless Wenger goes 442 again, then there is no way Robin will play for Arsenal again.

11. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like what I have seen from our two new players Giroud and Podolski. They both seem like "harder" (work harder, tougher) players than what we have presently. I think we needed a little more grit in the team.

12. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope his apparent lack of pace isn't too much of a hindrance for him...other than that I really like the looks of him

13. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  14. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I don't get your logic. We're trying to move on Chamakh, Park, Vela and Bendtner, and you think Giroud is a replacement for RvP ?

15. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Honestly, if we were trying to get players in to make RVP feel like we can contend we wouldn't be buying strikers. He's gone...time to face reality.

16. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Again, that makes no sense. RvP should know hes top dog, that we need to strengthen, that Giroud is there to help him, not replace him. So far we've signed a replacement for Arshavin, Podolski, who will probably be first choice before Gervinho, and Giroud to replace Chamakh. If I was RvP I'd look at that and think we were definitely taking steps in the right direction. If we sign a DM and RvP stays we have a competitive squad that has a chance to win things.

charlie15 repped this.
  17. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    bienvenue OG!!!

Catfish repped this.
  18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's not complicated. Arsenal just spent £12-14 million on a striker. That's a lot of money for this club. That money was not spent to have dude be a bench player. Either Wenger is going 442, or Robin is being sold. I don't believe Wenger is going to play 442. Giroud thrived in the 433 last year and can only play center forward.

You are thinking with your heart and not your head.

19. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Or...

RvP has just come away from the Euros after playing a full season. A season where he needed a break before the end. He's simply not going to manage to play another full season with us. Giroud will have chances to start games, chances to replace RvP, chances to come in alongside RvP.

Wenger overplayed RvP last season, yet never used Chamakh / Park to replace him, simply because neither are currently anywhere good enough.

£13m is a lot, but things aren't quite the same as they were a couple of years ago, or even last season. We have money in the bank, and if Gazidis and co are doing their job right they'll have an idea of how much we will be making in a couple of years. So basically we can afford to spend this type of money on a player that we need. What we can't afford is to drop out of the top 4 in the next couple of seasons. Remember also that by clearing Vela and Bendtner off the books we'll recoup a fair proportion of that transfer fee.

So,
    1) he wont be a bench player, certainly in the way Chamakh / Park are
    2) in reality it's not of money

And why you think I'm thinking with my heart and not with my head I have no idea. You've clearly misunderstood my point. I haven't said RvP wont leave, I've simply said that Giroud isn't his replacement.

hughmanatee repped this.
  20. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He's coming here here to start at CF because there is no reason at all he would accept coming to Arsenal as a bench player were a dozen other clubs were knocking on the door for him to come start for them.

Its alot of money for Arsenal plain and simple.

21. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    There were ? Would you mind awfully naming them for me please :)

But if we get £10 mill for Vela and Bendtner is it still a lot of money ?

But if we go into the season with the same 3 strikers as last season, and finish 5th is it still a lot of money ?

Not quite so plain or simple is it ?

astabooty repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of us is ITK and at this point, no one can safely predict what is going to happen with RVP.
    We are all trying to make educated guesses. I was one of the firsts to mention that he may be sold, but since then, the dynamics have changed and his options are more limited now than ever. At this point, I will not be surprised to see him at Arsenal next season. Giroud's arrival and RVP staying are not mutually exclusive options.
    By the way, Giroud's fee is 12 M Euros....Not Quids. Some British medias have been mentioning 15 M Quid...they got all all wrong. Giroud had the 12 M fee inserted in his contract from the beginnning. By today's standard it is a pretty good deal.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fair point, but it seems unreasonable to think that RVP is staying given that:

1. We've played a 4-3-3 the last three seasons
    2. Giroud is an out and out 433 striker.
    3. We spent a lot of money on Giroud by our standards.
    4. Ergo, Giroud's likely to get a lot of games.
    5. Only one striker can play at any given time.
    6. The club probably won't let RVP's contract run down, since that means giving up 25 million quid.

I'd love it if Van Persie stayed. I just don't see it happening given the above.

24. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal has carried more than one great striker before.

Bergkamp/Kanu/Henry/RVP/Adebayor

Maybe this just signals a return to the days of actually having quality depth and versatility. Given our fixture congestion, it's possible that Podolski/RVP/Giroud could coexist.

gunner7 and astabooty repped this.