Please help us Save The Crew

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by crewfan_in_columbus, Nov 10, 2017.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside in the snow, of course! Bwahahahahaha!!!!

2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lay-un. Lay-un. Lay'in is what you do in bed, you lay in the bed. Lay-un is the city.

3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Younger people, especially women, shorten the vowel. I was wrong with Lay'in though, it's more like Lay'en. Lay'un is older or more rural. At least that's my observation. Maybe I should ask one of my linguist friends for a ruling. Some of them are rather cunning. (I'll show myself out.)

El-ahrairah and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lost me at Highlanders. I always hated that name. I'd rather go with Phoenix. At least the uppity parents with nothing better to do will get riled up about it.

The Franchise repped this.
  5. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh goodie! We haven't argued meaninglessly over what to name the team in months. Let's also revive where we should build the stadium.

6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed, best wishes Crewbies.

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they've got a lawsuit either way, may as well fight the lawsuit that will engender the least amount of ill will among fans around the nation.

8. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah, unfortunately Columbus has a lot going against it with Cincinnati more than likely to come in and Austin looking to be a strong emerging destination (demographically speaking). I'm 100% #savethecrew, but if they are relocated the whole fiasco will be forgotten in a few years.

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If every team that is 'more than likely to come in' comes in, the league will be looking 40 teams dead in the eye.
    Miami, Sacramento, Phoenix, Las Vegas, St. Louis, San Antonio, Nashville, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Tampa/St. Pete, San Diego. 22 + 15 = 37 When I look at that list practically, I don't see Cincinnati edging out Miami, Nashville, Sacramento, St. Louis, nor Phoenix/Las Vegas. If Columbus goes, its chances go up. But, Columbus staying virtually sinks Cincinnati's chances.

10. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Have you looked into the Cincinnati bid?

11. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, despite the owner telling the county that the $200MM+ stadium would be 100% privately financed and they were looking for up to $75MM in public support for infrastructure. I don't know how realistic the 75 number is. I only just started really paying attention to their situation last week. But Hamilton County basically said they didn't need a SSS and could just play in Paul Brown Stadium (which Hamilton County agreed to the worst ever stadium deal in history on).

So now, there's supposed to be a joint call between FCC, Hamilton County, and MLS to iron it all out. And there's no guarantees that Newport or Covington would agree to the request either, or if they did, if MLS would allow them to play in KY.

It's going to get VERY interesting down there over the next 3-4 weeks.

And Cincy and Columbus can coexist. That rivalry would be amazing. It already started with the USOC game which was famously dubbed "#HellisReal" on the twitters.

12. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Columbus Family Ties

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BalanceUT repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DrownedElf, jessyca, BalanceUT and 2 others repped this.
  15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering when some government entity would get involved and say "You are leaving? Not before you pay your bill".

16. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So what exactly does the law stipulate? They have to repay everything? They can't reloacte for a specified amount of time?

17. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Just found this

upload_2017-12-8_12-30-10.png

So the law is very untested and says "opportunity", but that doesn't necessarily mean the current owner has to sell. Interesting to see where this goes.

Allez RSL repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 to 32 repped this.
  20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I'm certain Garber made that a condition of the interview, because last time he was "stuck in traffic" for a couple of hours during a playoff game in order to avoid the interview.

The Franchise repped this.
  21. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman tweeted out that his interview occurred before the Ohio Attorney General's letter regarding the untested Art Modell law was issued. Twellman would've brought that up if he had the info.

22. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I don't think the Art Model law is going to work out in this case. Precourt is giving Cbus more than a year's notice and if they offer to pay back the state for any lease on the fairgrounds land, I don't see it holding up in court. As a former constituent of Mike DeWine, I personally find him telling a private corporation that it can't relocate a bit...hypocritical. New San Antonio may have a case.

I'm for saving the Crew. I've been a fan my whole life but I'm also very cynical as to the ability to save the franchise. Some of the claims made by SaveTheCrew supporters don't necessarily hold up to some scrutiny while others do. I don't think Precourt has purposely tried to tank the team until he made up his mind to move it this season.

As for the Cincinnati bid, I think they're in. Of the four finalists, they're the most ready to go and MLS has approved Nippert as a temporary venue. Part of me does think that the rise of FC Cincinnati might have hastened Precourt's decision to leave. He saw that the Cincinnati market (that the Crew ignored for 20 years) was a lost cause and fans in Dayton would do like they've done with NFL and MLB, that is align with the Cincinnati teams. Crew SC played some lip-service to being "Ohio's Team" last year but after it became obvious that FCC had Cincy locked down and with the demographic and business realities of the Queen City, PSV decided to leave town.

23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My read is pretty similar. Precourt had Austin on his mind from the word "go," but didn't decide on a move until sometime during the 2016 season. He'd definitely made the call before making plans for the 2017 season.

And I also think the Modell Law won't work in forcing a sale based on my own reading of the law, but a court finding in favor of greater state powers would hardly shock me.

24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Precourt had Austin on his mind (sounds like a cheesy 70's soft rock song) but I think he was always planning on moving from the start. I don't believe you put a stipulation in a contract stating that you can, if you want, look into moving the Crew to Austin unless you were already planning on doing it before buying the team.

25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he's given much more than 6 months warning that he's moving/planning on moving but whether he lives up to the spirit of the law by allowing another Columbus entity to purchase the Crew, that remains to be seen. I think he could argue that since new MLS franchises are going for 200 million a pop, the Crew should be worth that much money and if he doesn't get something along those lines, he can still move. Unfortunately in this situation, short of going to court to sort the whole mess out, it looks like the Crew is going to Austin, unless Austin throws up enough roadblocks (no stadium, no stadium funding) that MLS steps in and tells him he has to stay in Columbus. I think the stadium deal would be a deal breaker for MLS.