Please help us Save The Crew

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by crewfan_in_columbus, Nov 10, 2017.

1. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moderators, if you feel this is in poor taste, please don’t hesitate to delete. Thank you in advance.

Hello RSL fans. Please don’t think I’m coming to troll, I’m simply coming to ask for your help. Many of you have publicly expressed your support of for the situation that we Crew fans are finding ourselves in. For that we thank you.

I ask that you give us just 60 more seconds of support to go to https://savethecrew.com/letter and sign the letter. You can select your club at the bottom and I believe that the more fans from around the league that sign this, the louder the collective voice will be.

Selfishly, I say “thank you” for helping support us in this time of need. But also, I remind you to think about the other teams that this could happen to. Some day in the future, this could happen to your team as well. Please don’t let the league start a bad precedent.

Thank you,

Ian Fontaine

2. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Signed it.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I compelled my wife and 3 kids to sign too. So you have 5 signatures from this household.

crewfan_in_columbus repped this.
  6. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    As someone who lives a little over an hour from Austin, I signed it. If Austin gets a team, then the chances of San Antonio (where I live) getting a team go down the drain.

7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listing to Dunny and Meola on SirusXM, it sounds like MLS really stepped in the do-do with this Columbus move since Precourt was also on the expansion committee and San Antonio would have grounds to sue for bad faith or something along those lines. It sounds like the only way out would be to make Precourt sell his share to a Columbus group to keep the Crew in Columbus and award San Antonio an expansion franchise. But then, what do I know. I'm just a causal observer and to me it sounds like lawyers are going to be making lots of money.

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    signed it.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last thing I tried to save was a clock tower, and that turned out okay.

BalanceUT, DrownedElf, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  10. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I signed it. I've been to a number of Crew games over the last few years (incl. the USS Crew-tanic MLS Cup game) and I'll be there for the first round of the Eastern Championship next week.

It has become very obvious that Precourt has minimized his investment this season and tried to get the #s to tank. Frankie Hedjuk virtually disappeared off of Twitter wrt Crew. Sponsor deals were doubled out of the blue. Parking costs may have even gone up. I wouldn't be surprised if advertisement spending was down too. Sadly the opposite sort of owner from DLH.

Then it turns out Precourt was scouting his central TX competition. Did he give San Antonio the thumbs up thinking he'd try to avoid the (future) signs of bias? Instead, he's now torpedoing the San Antonio Spurs organization and putting MLS at risk of a lawsuit.

Way to f***up Don Garner! Pretty much just torpedoing the end of a crap year in U.S. soccer - which means the cup will go up north this year. The MLS should absolutely force Putz-court to sell to the group that already made him a $$$$ offer on the Crew. Putz doesn't give a crap about MLS - he's wanting to line his pockets with sponsors and tax-payer funded stadium $. Having lived in the Austin area, I don't see how this thing flies...it isn't 'American football'.

Todorojo repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed
    Best of luck in the fight!

12. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed it last week. Hopefully this helps the cause.

13. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Signed as well. An owner that cares could do wonders in Columbus, unlike the current long distance relationship.

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Signed last week too.

15. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you everyone for all your support!!!

16. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Definitely signed this. I would hate to see RSL bought and sold by DLH. Unfortunately, I could imagine a scenario...

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's not happening for a bit. Like a long bit

Or, if it does, DLH is one horrible business man. I mean, you don't infuse this much SLC infrastructure (academy, training centers, monarchs, women's team int he pipeline, etc) then sell to a person who wants to move elsewhere.

The Franchise repped this.
  18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see us leaving anytime soon. There's too much money invested currently. With all the new development, I wouldn't see it as a possibility until at least 15-20 years down the line. Nobody is going to sink all this cash in and bail shortly after.

Now, DLH could possibly sell to someone else for the right price. If he turned a handsome profit, it might be something he'd do. I would imagine the new owner would stay put though.

I also signed this. Hope the Crew stay in Columbus.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DLH didn't buy the club initially, so the numbers we're talking about, at a starting point, for what he'll have to be paid to "make a profit" are a bit unclear.

Still, you add in those hypothetical numbers. The amount he then paid to become majority owner. Then the amount he's invested in all of the facilities... This is adding up really quick. It's not a simple valuation thing. DLH loves this club too much (for better or worse, depends on the day) to jump just yet. I think the appropriate time to be concerned will be as he ages/removes himself from day to day operations. While we might see that as a nice thing in terms of letting the soccer people do the soccer stuff, it does mean he's more likely to sell. Will we luck out and have someone like Gail Miller once he passes away?

20. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    MLS is also contractually obligated to allow Precourt to move the team. They may have backed themselves into a lawsuit either way.

On the subject of DLH, I don't see him selling the team, but whoever takes over after he' gone has me nervous. Of course, if everything goes to plan, I should have the means to buy the team at that point anyway.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we're ********ed

PattysCow repped this.
  22. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, someone to try to outbid me.

When I buy the team, it will stay in Utah, but I'll move it to Layton, but only after destroying the Layton HIlls Mall and building my new, state-of-the-art stadium in it's place. It will seat 100,000 spectators, be open-air, have natural grass and have monster truck competitions, that we will call "Monday Night Rehabilitation".

Oh, and I'll change the name of the team to the Utah Highlanders.

[​IMG]

UPinSLC and 15 to 32 repped this.
  23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Used to live near there in Lay'in. Nice place.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just don't try to rename it the Phoenix

UPinSLC, Todorojo, Ismitje and 3 others repped this.
  25. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tear down the Layton Hills Mall? But then where will all of the mall power-walkers go for their exercise?