Please help us Save The Crew

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by crewfan_in_columbus, Nov 10, 2017.

1. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moderators, if you feel this is in poor taste, please don’t hesitate to delete. Thank you in advance.

Hello Metrost-errrrr Red Bull fans. Please don’t think I’m coming to troll, I’m simply coming to ask for your help. Many of you have publicly expressed your support of for the situation that we Crew fans are finding ourselves in. For that we thank you. We have a pretty long history together, don't we? We've both come a long way since 1996. We've matured. We've "filled out". I think that's the way you say "we've gotten fatter with age". You guys have a pretty house with plenty of land. We've stayed a little more urban (but apparently not urban enough). I have two big RBNY memories. Naturally 2008 MLS Cup. But more importantly, a few years ago, my buddy was moving to LA from Columbus. It was his last game as a Crew fan and you guys were the opponents. We were able to arrange it sot hat He was the honorary coin toss dude for pre game. He got to stand next to and shake Henry's hand. It was one of his adult soccer highlights and I was so happy to be involved with that for him. So many memories. Now I'm rambling.....

I ask that you give us just 60 more seconds of support to go to https://savethecrew.com/letter and sign the letter. You can select your club at the bottom and I believe that the more fans from around the league that sign this, the louder the collective voice will be.

Selfishly, I say “thank you” for helping support us in this time of need. But also, I remind you to think about the other teams that this could happen to. Some day in the future, this could happen to your team as well. Please don’t let the league start a bad precedent.

Thank you,

Ian Fontaine

kokoplus10 repped this.
  2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you Ian!

crewfan_in_columbus repped this.
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if FIFA would call it government interference if a state went to court trying to prevent a club from moving. If there was ever a good time for the USMNT to be suspended (I'm not saying that will happen), it would be before a World Cup we didn't qualify for.

5. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would that affect a domestic league team? I'd never heard that concept being applied to anything other than national teams.

but honestly, if it does, oh well. USSF/MLS are joined at the hip through SUM. It's a main reason most Columbus fans are talking about swearing off domestic soccer if this happens. "Most" is probably a little hyperbolic, but there are enough to make a dent.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you asking if FIFA suspends countries because of what clubs do or if FIFA suspensions affect clubs? I wonder if FIFA has anything online that defines "government interference." Domestic leagues operate while countries are suspended, but clubs from suspended countries are suspended from international competitions. I doubt the USMNT will get suspended, but it's a unique hypothetical because MLB, NBA, NHL, and NFL teams can move without an international governing body for the sport objecting.