Please help, my lower back hurts a lot when I play football for more than 1 hour.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Eckzotic, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Eckzotic

Eckzotic Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Also, I don't know what it's called, but you know that V shaped muscle above your crotch, that muscle and my hip flexor also hurt. I think these areas might be hurting because everyday even after long football practice I did about 30 minutes of ab workouts, what should I do to heal faster?

2. Wytefang

Wytefang Member

May 11, 2013
    Take a break from physical activity (unfortunately). Ice areas that hurt, take some ibuprofen for swelling. Those are your solutions. If pain continues, I'd see a doctor. Good luck, get well soon!

Alex_1 repped this.
  3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    You can also try AM Yoga by Rodney Yee. And a massage never hurts.

4. Nettle

Nettle New Member

Aug 15, 2010
  5. Rojiblanco16

Rojiblanco16 Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Have you tried applying IcyHot or Bengay?

6. Jim Carlson

Jim Carlson New Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Prosper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ice baths. They are brutal but they help a lot. The trick is to add the ice after you get in the tub. Jump in and add one bag of ice at a time. This time of year 3 bags should do. Stay in for about five minutes and then take a hot shower. If this sounds too brutal I think there is a cryochamber place in frisco.

7. Rojiblanco16

Rojiblanco16 Member

Jul 25, 2013
    If it's a muscle, put heat on it. I bought a clay therapy at Walmart for $12, I put the clay in the freezer if I need to ice something (fresh muscle injuries. Reduce swelling) or put it in the microwave if I need a heating pad. Works wonders.

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Stretch your hamstrings, Glutes and adductors every day once in the morning and once at night. Look up stretches mostly focussed on being on the ground. This should take you at least 15 minutes. Your looking for 30 second holds. Do not bend over and stretch from a standing position for a while. Do not round your back with stretches while you are doing it. Try to keep your back straight or arched. As a trainer I see this A Lot (and had similar problems myself) and your back is most likely over compensating for tightness in other areas. 2 litres of water every day make sure you get potassium and magnesium (hydration requires water Potassium and magnesium not just water)

Also standing lunges where *THIS IS IMPORTANT* your front and back legs are at 90 degree angles. The front leg knee must be well behind the toe and the top of your thigh parallel with the ground. The movement starts with dropping the back knee while absorbing the majority of your weight on your front HEEL. Keep your back straight and extend your chest past the mid point of your thigh *Do not be surprised if this is difficult in balance/flexibility/strength/endurance/ most people have a problem doing a proper lunge and throw form away for the sake of finishing a set (Do not skip any of the requirements)* Once you get down to 90 degrees drive down on the front heel to get yourself up and repeat 8-12 times (If you feel sharp pain switch sides and work on building the range of motion) I would suspect it will be much easier for you to do this on one side then the other.

In 3 days you should notice a difference. In pre game always do dynamic movements (various leg swings, open-gate/close gate etc.) to loosen up your hips and activate muscles and increase blood flow.

EDIT: just noticed this post is almost a year old but for anyone with back pain this usually helps a lot. Although if the back pain is serious or stemming from an accident always consult a doctor first.