Please explain to me how Arsenal functions

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DutchCane, Aug 28, 2011.

1. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    as a club. Meaning who makes decisions, what is the role of the board, who is in charge of transfers.

NO SPECULATION.

Thanks

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There are maybe ten people alive that can answer this question honestly and accurately. And they will do no such thing.

3. ithacat

ithacat Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they will, but first you must bring them...a shrubberry.

4. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    Lol. Can't stop laughing. x1000 Rep to you sir!!

5. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Peter Hill-Wood reads this forum and does the exact opposite of everything we say. Just for a laugh.

6. -apoc-

-apoc- Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Satellite Beach, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    y=x^3-17x^2+3x+7

7. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
  8. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Which one's Arsene?

9. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    He's the one pressing the "NO" button when we ask for players in the xfer window. The board are the ones with the boxes who keep dropping the ball.

10. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hes the one dumping the blue ball from the box into the hole ;)

11. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    We've been told by the board and the coach that the board comes up with a transfer budget for the coach (transfer and wages included), and the coach has complete control on how it is spent. It seems pretty simple, and the message has been consistent. Is there a reason to think otherwise?

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I really highly doubt that any substantial transfer budget has been
    given to the coach. If that was the case, why didn't use it?
    I dont get a sense that anyone at the Board level is really in control or even in touch with today's high level football realities.
    Both Arsenal transfer budget and wages structure are at out whack and don't allow the club to compete.

13. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Why do you say that? We know he bid for Mata, Cahill, OXlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Jenkinson and a few others. We also know that he just sold Cesc, Nasri, Clichy and Eboue for quite a lot of cash. I highly doubt that the transfer budget isn't substantial.

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may have had a budget but i would not call it substantial by today's standard.
    We got outbidded for Mata in addition to not being able to match Chelsea wages. We sold Ade, Toure among others the last couple of years for a lot of money. As usual that money has not been reinvested in the team.

Perhaps now the Board will realize the urgency of the situation. Will not hold my breath though.

15. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Again,m why do you say that? You seem to blame the board and give Wenger the benefit of the doubt.

16. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Here's a question to consider whether Wenger is charge or the money or not. If he does end up getting fired, do you think his replacement will do better.

17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont....I believe that AW is as responsible as the Board of the current debacle.

However, Arsene does not own the club, he certainly has a lot of authority but at the end of the day, it is a business and the final decisions particularly the financial ones will lie with the Board.

18. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    How do you answer that without knowing who his replacement would be?

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The well known Arsenal supporter, Piers Morgan suggested Martin O Neill today. He added that Arsenal should buy 5 english players and go back to route 1 football.... :)

20. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I think Peh_Hem (or whatever that joker's name is) is Pier Morgan in disguise.

21. xamaicano

xamaicano Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Financial prudence aside, it shouldn't have come to this. There are very few Arsenal fans that expected a £50 million striker but it is not an all or nothing proposition. While paying off the new stadium has been a priority it is important to maintain a product worthy of said stadium. If Arsenal needed to be financially prudent then it would have been wise to add in increments while the side is relatively strong. Over the years most here have been wanting the addition of a few players in key positions that were lacking and the club opted to hope that players they had in those positions would come good. It didn't happen an now we have lost player from positions where we were strong and now the situation seems a bit desperate.

We aren't City nor Chelsea but we aren't Everton either. A few prudent investments in our defense (DM, CB and GK) over the last four years would not have bankrupted the team. Now we are still lacking in defense and we have lost our two best offensive players.

22. tulorox17

tulorox17 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously cannot wait for that guy's reaction to this debacle.

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good one. I was shocked to hear this guy rant on Fox today. Totally xenophobic.
    What a prick.

24. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm no fan of the current board, but why is everyone so hung up on them being the obstacle we need to overcome. Everything we have heard has suggested that the board refuse to alter our wage structure so we cannot lure top players, but I don't think that is nearly as big an issue as people are making it out to be.

We fail to retain our top players because of a lack of silverware, not wages. Even if we matched Shitty's offer to Nasri, chances are he would still leave. Secondly, who are these players who would require wages greater than what our wage structure allows? This summer aside, we would never pay the fees required to sign such players. There are a lot of players who would be happy to take 70-80k, and would be good enough to start for us. We don't sign them because we prioritize the development of our existing players over the good of the team, or we value them at a lot less than the fee being asked, and refuse to overpay.

25. xamaicano

xamaicano Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    We won't know until it happens won't we. Who would have predicted that some french manager of Nagoya Grampus Eight would become Arsenal's most successful manager?