Playoffs: Seattle Sounders v. Houston Dynamo, Thursday, November 30

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 22, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Nov 29, 2017.
  1. Dynamo advance

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Dynamo fail to advance

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I'll just stare out the window and wait for spring.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Per that roster list, Manneh, Pontius, Bunbury, Montero, and Seitz are out of contract. Ousted, Gatt, Zizzo, J. Jones, Farrell, Davies, Okugo, Laba, and Mattocks are not optioned.

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    That's odd because the whole point to the teams turning in public lists before everyone is finished is transparent disclosure. Someone like me can start going down the lists and come up with Christmas shopping. If we can sit on the lists until closer to the overall deadline then why not just have a single deadline at which point the league releases the info and shortly thereafter the free agent phases follow. Otherwise we can scout/shop theirs but the other teams can't shop ours yet. This makes no sense. It must be MLS.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See below - wouldn’t surprise me if the teams and league know (posted on a waiver wire or similar) but they aren’t releasing because of a spin or PR situation. Who knows but yeah, going silent is odd

http://mobile.twitter.com/RipSports/status/937825671170150400

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    That’s not a bad pile to choose from for depth.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Not sure whether the keepers are a good fit. Ousted is decent, top year was close to 1.0, never over 1.5, solid numbers, better than Willis, but if he's even staying his salary was just under $400k, which is starter money, and I don't know if Peak Ousted is worth all that money. Really good keepers worth that like Pat back in the day have GAAs at least some of the time under 1.0.

Seitz is more reasonable at $153k but is less impressive or consistent. 2016 he was down near 1.0 as a starter. 2017 he was over 1.5 as a back up. 2010 he was near 2.0 starting for Philly. Back up stats but kind of expensive for them.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Maybe it's I want them to be cold-blooded, and feel like marketing and sentiment only get in the way, but I would never consider "option day" super sad. I might miss a player when it's done but do the right thing for competition in the process. To me this litany of Beasley re-signings or the whole saga of Ching being unprotected, didn't actually make the team better. Do what you gotta do because I am going to judge the team left at the end and whether it feels like they went soft putting it together. I want a good team with new heroes not a mediocre or bad one with the old heroes (not playing like it).

Put it more pointedly, for the players who are young or in their prime, that is the true foundation now, and those are the players who need to be appropriately surrounded. You are wasting their prime production surrounding them with past-it heroes. To me it's a contradictory thing where you thwart the creation of future heroes and successful teams trying to re-live the last ones. Ideally we retire our own at just the right time but failing that unless we won a championship the previous season it's a year early rather than a year late: Brad Davis. To me parade laps on the way out come at the expense of actually trying to win things that season.