Playoffs on TV

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by monster, Sep 23, 2002.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USSF/ESPN contract calls for a certain number of games to be televised. I'd be surprised if showing the WNT US Cup was not in the contract.

ESPN had Tennessee-Arkansas until 11 on Saturday with SportsCenter to follow. ESPN2 has a game until 10 followed by College Football Gameday. While that isn't a live telecast, I doubt they would have sold off that time, especially on only 2-3 day's notice.

There are realistic market forces at work here. While I might also wish that more playoff games were on national TV, you can't tell me it's good business sense for ESPN to sell off time they can probably make more money on through the sponsors of their college football programming.

As far as MLS and USSF "pissing away" some opportunity, you really don't seem to have a realistic perspective on the whole situation. The USSF and MLS have totally different broadcast goals. And neither is anywhere near commanding any serious respect from the networks. So market forces come into play and USSF has a more clear understanding five months away of when their games will be played. So they won the race there. Is MLS doing a perfect job? Hell, no. But I think doing what you expect of them is a hell of a lot more difficult that you think.

They are left to pick up scraps, not entirely their fault. And if you complain about the situation now then say you're not interested enough to watch the Cup final, well, you're just doing your part to piss away what little we already have.

Pity.

As to the original question: Why not cover both? Because the market in general is not calling for them. Until it does, we're at the mercy of events that draw more viewers and stronger advertising dollars.

2. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    No Mls Playoff Broadcast On Espn

I can't believe this. ESPN has broadcast one playoff game so far. If MLS is ever going to become a legitimate league it needs to get exposure for its playoff games or just drop the playoffs. It seems the regular season draws much more interest and the playoffs get lost because of MLB playoffs and NFL action. Both ESPN and MLS are totally confused when it comes to soccer in America.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am behind you all the way!

4. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Ughhhh, that was sarcasm if you didn't notice...

The sole reason why they aren't being broadcast is that most ESPN telecasts are scheduled months in advance while MLS playoff dates are last minute at best..

Availability of stadia for most teams is the prime reason why a set playoff schedule is not readily available until the end of the regular season..

Once all the MLS teams control their own stadiums and the scheduling it affords, only then will a set schedule be available for presentation to ESPN..

Even after all that, soccer, unfortunately does not pull in ANY significant viewership.. That is just the way it is....

Buy a satellite dish and you'll get all the playoff games....

5. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    DirecTV is not yet showing the Columbus/Revs match for Wednesday's viewing..

The Soccer America e-mail has both games listed on the DTV shootout package but nothing yet has come up on my screen.. As of today they do have the Galaxy/Wizards game listed..

6. Adrian

Adrian Member

Columbus Crew
    England
    May 9, 1999
    Plain City, OH, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They could eliminate the unknown by having all the teams make the playoffs and going to a 2-leg aggregate goals format. ;)

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it?

Opps.

Dangnabbit ... I fell for Segroves sarcasm once again.

8. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

[foghorn Leghorn] That's a joke son...don't ya get it???[/foghorn Leghorn]

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Threads merged.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy/Wizards?!?!? I know the Rapids are the red-headed stepchild of the league, but come on!

;)

11. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSnet has both listed as well. Also, while the Sports Schedule channel lists the Col/LA match on (I believe) channel 794, the actual guide does not, yet.

If the info for the Clb/NE was released today, then don't expect it to be on air until tomorrow morning.

12. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, like you, just bang my head against the keyboard until I end up hitting the return button...

13. Eben

Eben Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Fairfax, VA
    Same Old ****

On Monday DirecTV channel 603 listed only the LA game at 9:30, while MLSnet said both games were on, but the LA game was at 9:00. On Tuesday evening channel 603 lists both games, but now the LA game is at 9:00, while MLSnet says it's at 9:30! (Also, MLSnet says the NE game is on ch. 794 and LA on 795, while ch. 603 says the reverse!)

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Same Old ****

LA has had a pre-game show some this season so that may account for the 9:00. Not sure though.

15. Eben

Eben Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Fairfax, VA
    Re: Re: Same Old ****

That makes sense on the time difference, but channel 603 still says NE on 795 while MLSnet says 794. I won't be home in time for the start of the game and need to know which channel to record!

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I just called Adelphia again and talked to Bridgette who was very helpful. I explained the situation and that I've had to call before each game to have the signal sent to me since the ESPN Gameplan began to share channels with the Shootout. She went ahead and ordered the games for me tonight on an individual basis (no charge) to try to insure that they did come on with no problem. Here's hoping since I won't be home for the first one. I'm hoping that I tape more than two hours of a PPV info screen.

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm starting get depressed that pretty soon we won't have anything to bitch about. 2 +1 games left?

18. jabraria@hotmail.com

Feb 24, 2000
    USA
    I am starting to get depressed that i havent got to see any GAMES, leading up to the final...honestly, it does make me feel unconnected to the league and the teams in the final

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We can always do some anticipatory bitching about next season. :)

20. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    That's inevitable. Hell, you don't even need to plan that it.

21. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    How about this coming Saturday,will the SO give us soccer or college football,do we have to deal with a blocked channel"which is 425 on my SO channels", will TWDC be asking for $99 to unlock channel 425????. This could be the last playoff game.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Anyone getting 424 in? I'm just getting a black screen which is unusual. I'm nervous cuz I have to go out tonight.

23. MetroDug

MetroDug Member

May 4, 1999
    New York, NY USA
    here we go again, dark. ready for another saturday on the phone with TWC?

24. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Just talked to them - they're having problems on their end and are calling it in to tech support. I think this will be a different issue than last time. I have to go out tonight, so hopefully you guys can harrass them enough to get it working.

Did you get your refund?

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's listed here but apparently not live. Isn't the game at 4:00pm eastern (1:00pm pacific)? It's listed on InDemand at 4:30 pacific - 7:30 eastern.