[Playoffs] Kansas City at Real Salt Lake (Sun. Nov 4, 9PM) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 30, 2018.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well folks, it's been awhile since we've had a home/away playoff series. The team looks to be in top form at the right part of the season and finishing first in the West puts us in position to close out each series at home. Our opponent will the be the lowest remaining seed between [4] Dallas, [5] Portland, and [6] RSL after the wildcard matches have been played.

2018 Results:

Dallas:

06/16 SKC 3-2 DAL [USOC]
    07/28 SKC 2-3 DAL
    10/21 DAL 0-3 SKC

Most notably from the USOC game, Lindsey got beat on the first goal when he was unable to track Barrios' run. With Sinovic sitting on a red card suspension, that potential match-up is worrisome. The regular season home loss was Barrios' hat trick game, where he consistently gave our backline fits by sneaking in behind and beating us to long balls. The game in Dallas was a lot scrappier and the goals came from chaos in the box and a PK. But again, Barrios was able to get in behind our defense multiple times and create chances. The scoreline in Dallas is a little disingenuous, as it took several huge saves (including a PK save) from Melia to keep the clean sheet.

Overall, I think I want to see Dallas the least. Despite the huge result last weekend, the link up play from Urruti and Barrios has given us fits all season, and with Sinovic on red card suspension, Dallas would have a lot of opportunities to take a big lead into the second leg.

Portland:

06/09 POR 0-0 SKC
    08/18 SKC 3-0 POR

We were short handed in the June game, with Lindsey and Wan Kuzain getting starts. Portland had a couple of decent looks - Adi snuck in behind but was unable to convert a header, and Blanco had a good look when he cut in from the wing - but we had the better chances and probably should have put that game to bed. The home game was simply a beat down. The chances they do get they create down our right side, but from top to bottom I like the way we've matched up against them. Of note, Gutierrez and Shelton were absent for both of those games. With a starting line-up, we've got a huge midfield advantage and I really like our chances in a home-away series.

Salt Lake:

06/06 RSL 0-2 SKC [USOC]
    07/04 RSL 4-2 SKC
    09/30 SKC 1-1 RSL

The USOC game was a scrub line-up. The game at RSL was ugly. We had several defensive break downs, gifting RSL three goals in quick succession before half. Late red cards to Salloi and Espinoza and a poor PK call (the foul was outside the box) killed the come back. At home, RSL capitalized early when Opara stepped up and missed his challenge, allowing Baird to bury a 1v1 against Melia. We peppered the goal the rest of the game and found our equalizer, but Rimando stood on his head, preventing us from taking all three points.

While Baird is speedy and has sneaked in behind us a couple of times, RSL doesn't have the same clear and present danger that Dallas does in Barrios. Games against RSL are gritty affairs, often relying on broken plays and second chances to make the difference.

---------------------------------------

Portland, to me, is the clear favorite for preferred conference semi-final opponent. We've been able to shut down their attack and dominate their midfield quite successfully. RSL is probably second, despite how much of a fight they always put up against us. As long as our defense isn't in shambles, I like our chances. Dallas worries me the most, as Urruti-Barrios has been particularly lethal against us this year, especially when they can score early. The Sinovic suspension makes that match up particularly ugly.

But, I think it's also worth noting that all three of these potential match-ups are winnable. Especially in our current form and the way our midfield and wings are playing off each other. Shelton being healthy going into the playoffs gives us a big advantage we didn't see in most of the above results, both in midfield possession and chances created. Whoever we face, game on.

Sachsen, BenDover and KopRules repped this.
  2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ugh, except Lindsey looks to be joining the U20s still, which means Croizet at LB. So everything I said about Urruti-Barrios x3.

3. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Would an option of Roger at LB and Croizet in midfield be better than visa-versa?

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Espinoza offers so much in the midfield role covering so much ground I wouldn’t want to limit that by forcing him onto one side.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently we may still call Lindsey back.

BenDover repped this.
  6. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, we should. If we had an injury or a red, we absolutely need the cover. This is why you have depth in the roster. And this is not the time to roll the dice when the need is known in advance.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindsey is apparently on his way back to KC.

vividox, kcfooty and Sachsen repped this.
  8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, unless you expect RSL to beat LAFC (I don't), we'll be on our way to Portland for the first game.

9. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who will be without one of their starting centerbacks for that match, thanks to the red card.

Sachsen repped this.
  10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What a crashing end to Dallas' season. They were sitting at #1 just two weeks before the playoffs, then fall to Portland at home in the knockout round.

Assuming LAFC takes out RSL, I really like our path to MLS Cup.

Sachsen repped this.
  11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas's offense is just horrific. Urruti apparently has scored 8 goals this year out of over 100 shots taken. They have no quality in the final third.

If LAFC beats RSL, that SEA-LAFC series is going to be a fun one to watch.

12. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all who I expected when I went to bed at halftime

14. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Baird, Herrera, Savarino, Rusnak, and Sunny all picking up yellow cards, there is a good chance that one of them might get a second in the next match which will cause a suspension for the Nov 11 match at CMP.

Amazingly, Beckerman didn't get one for persistent infringement last night, he pulled attacking players from behind at least three - gosh, I don't like that guy.

Sachsen repped this.
  15. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday evening forecast in Sandy, Utah:

39 degrees and rain

16. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Johnny Russell weather!

Sachsen repped this.
  17. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was not the matchup that I wanted to see. I was looking forward to Portland since I think we match up a lot better with them. Even though RSL is seeded lower, SKC always seems to have a rough time with them at Rio Tinto. Petke has RSL playing their best soccer of the season, so it will be a tough fight in Salt Lake.

Sachsen and kcfooty repped this.
  19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Also... not exactly looking forward to that 9pm kick off time. [/oldman]

Sachsen and kcfooty repped this.
  20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the match up isn't good for us, but they're not playing their best soccer of the season. They looked good in the first half (before I went to bed) but they won just one of their final six regular season games, going 1-3-2 (W-L-D) that's not exactly the best run of form to be heading into the playoffs.

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like we get toledo reffing this ... or doing something that vaguely resembles reffing. not looking forward to that.

22. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

23. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toledo at RSL. Yippe.

24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not looking good. Having trouble stringing two passes together.

Don't look like the #1 seed at this point.

25. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We....do not look good.