[Playoffs] Kansas City at Portland (Sun. Nov 25, 6:30PM) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    @dgb09 Seconded. I've played defense as a player pretty much my whole life, and seat neighbors to me at CMP will know that I enjoy watching a well-timed tackle probably more than most people, but I still think that soccer is primarily not a game of physicality. The one trait that soccer has that stands out to me and makes it the best ball sport in the world to me is fluidity. Imo people that enjoy Beckermanesque body blows (nothing against it, just not my thing) should watch ice hockey, rugby, american or australian football.
    Hence I like it that players that persistently foul face a harsh penalty. And I like that players that cynically foul to prevent counter attacks face a harsh penalty.

As for unjustified yellow cards, I see no reason why those could not be rescinded after game or even during the game - just let both captains know that VAR has identified a wrongly given yellow card, the game would not even have to be stopped for that.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not really. If it becomes dangerous, it's no longer a yellow. And if every single player on a team is going in hard and picking up their yellow for rough play, the ref is going to start adjusting what he's calling to try to get control of the game. And once a player is on a yellow they tend to shy away from the harder to fouls to avoid picking up a second. There's literally no reason to expect that that is how teams would start to play.

3. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Absolutely agree.
    Absolutely agree.
    Why? How in the world did you get to that arbitrary conclusion? It's already limited to once per game. Why limit it to once every two games as well? Why should that result in suspension? It's not like anyone can just hack down opponents whenever they want. Hacking down players isn't a plague that infects the league during the regular season when five yellows equals a suspension, why would anyone think it would all of a sudden plague the playoffs if we lifted the two yellows equals a suspension rule? Lifting yellow card accumulation doesn't result in every player turning into a battering ram overnight. Dangerous challenges are still red. Two yellows are still red.

And as much as people may not like it, hacking a player down to prevent a counter is tactical. You can make all the snide comments you'd like about "the best a player can do" - it's still an effective strategy. It's still a hell of a lot smarter than letting a guy blow by you and have a free counter opportunity. Why are we trying to denigrate that?

4. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    Because the stakes are much higher? The benefit of preventing a counterattack in the first game of MLS season is much smaller than preventing a counterattack in a playoff game.

And I think no one is denying that a tactical foul is very often a smart decision, and it would become even more so without the two game suspension rule. The question is whether it should be a decision to be encouraged or discouraged - in my opinion it should be discouraged in every possible way.

dgb09 and kcscsupporter repped this.
  5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Eh, fair points. I just feel like so much of the yellow card accumulation rule is accepted for no other reason than it's been there as long as most of us can remember. I guess all I'm really saying is I think the effect that the accumulation rule has on the actual physicality of the game is grossly overstated. A player always runs the risk of picking up a red instead of a yellow if they go into a hard challenge and their timing is off, so I don't think many players are out there going, "oh, I can get away with this extra challenge, so I'll just take this guy out without a care". Maybe it does mean that a defensive midfielder gets an extra opportunity to perform a relatively safe professional foul every 180 minutes, but that one play over the course of so much play has such a minimal impact. I just feel like soccer goes way overboard with suspensions in general, and it causes way too many situations where big players are absent from big games. Personally, I'd much rather watch these playoff games where the players don't need to play so reserved because they are afraid to pick up a second yellow.

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like yellow card suspensions when it happens to the other team. Do I feel bad that Rusnak misssed the last game? Heck no. Next time, don’t slide tackle Zusi in the back corner when you have no chance of winning the ball.

I don’t like it when it happens to my team.

;)

IASocFan repped this.
  7. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Portland, SKC won’t have Johnny or Rubio. Shelton is probably a lock to start at striker with Nemeth as his likely backup on the bench. However, the last time Nemeth played in Portland he created havoc for the timbers not as a striker, but as a winger. Nemeth is a lot more effective when he gets the ball at his feet with space. As a winger, he had more opportunity to get the ball and create chances than he did at his recent attempts as a striker. Gerso and Salloi will start on the wing, but I would like to see Nemeth play the wing if either of those to need to be subbed out. It probably won’t happen, but I think he would be better there than Croizet who they need as a midfield sub.

8. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, it's not a bad thing to bring 0-0 home, but holy hell our game plan on the road this playoffs has been awful imo.

vividox repped this.
  13. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I sure wish we could've got Chara or valeri that yellow...feel bad for their cb though, looks like an Achilles. not the way you want players missing games.

14. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also also, huge game from Besler and Timmy.

15. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Since the start of 2016, over 53 MLS home games, Portland has been held scoreless only 5 times.

3 of these shutouts were inflicted by SKC's defense, 2 of them this season.

Therefore tonight's 0-0 result was excellent from a macro point of view, but just another day at Providence Park for SKC....

I honestly was calm watching the entire game knowing that statistic, even during the "goal". We have had some good karma there since the double post game.

However, the sit back and counterattack version of Portland I expect to see vs SKC at CMP on Thu in the cold - THAT scares me

Timber Joey's chainsaw has not been used for over 2 years vs SKC. I still think it's one of the coolest celebrations in soccer - I only like seeing it when Portland plays someone else :)

Well done, Sporting!

16. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hellacious day of travel followed by a mostly punchless first half we were a bit lucky to survive, but I wouldn’t overstate that. I was more concerned about our lack of attack in first half than the fact that PDX was swarming us.

Second half started off much better and I think we choaked off the game down the stretch.

Couldn’t believe Chara wasn’t even called for a foul on his challenge on Russell on the endline during the first half.

Our CF position was not helpful this game. Much better in second half, but generally not productive.

IASocFan repped this.
  17. chiefbark

chiefbark New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Kansa City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was really hoping to see Nemeth come on for Shelton or even Salloi.

18. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am having a hard time believing that PV was so satisfied with what Shelton was doing by the 75th minute that he chose not to insert Nemeth into the game. Really disappointing outing by Shelton. It seems like in addition to Nemeth, the fresh legs of Gerso and Yohan could have turned the game in a different direction. SKC only had one shot on goal and that was by Sinovic. What is the point of a deep bench if it is not used?

kcfooty, IASocFan, lukeD and 1 other person repped this.
  19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was really hoping to see a sub before stoppage time...

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically we were, Croizet stood at midfield for like 5 minutes but the ball didn't go out.

IASocFan repped this.
  21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's the one thing that scares me about Peter when it gets to crunch time in the playoffs. The way he seems to freeze up and be unable to realize that sometimes the possible reward of changing things outweighs the risk of not changing things.

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, he's way too cautious when it comes to changing up a side that's holding a narrow sheet. I mean, yes, the unit is keeping it scoreless. He'll have to do way more if he wants to grind a result against Atlanta.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A little more risk to score a goal would've been worth it. 1-1 is so much better than 0-0. Hell, 2-2 is a great first leg score for the away team.

We've basically thrown away home field advantage. A second 0-0 is all but inconceivable and we outright lose in any other tie scenario. Any goal Portland scores now puts us way behind the eight ball.

24. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    We now know that PV does not agree. He does the same thing every time when there is a choice to take some risk late. Grind out the away result and try to make it up at home. I agree with you that it should be the other way around. I mean, yay, we didn't give up a goal. But, super boo, now we have to outright win on Thursday b/c of away goals rule (which sucks).

25. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I mean, are you trying to convince me? I'm right there with you.

dgb09 and AndyMead repped this.