Playoffs: Houston Dynamo v. Seattle Sounders, Tuesday, November 21

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 6, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Nov 20, 2017.
  1. Dynamo win

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. November 21? That means we can graze cattle at the stadium for two more weeks. Yee Haw!

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hope that the scalpers do well in offloading

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #52 Westside Cosmo, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know. Below is the offer you get from ReplyBuy - I assume the Dynamo bulk out some ticket sales to them at a big discount and then let them resller sell that inventory. Now whether or not it is just extra unsold tix or a certain block each game no idea.

I will say this - based on the large apparent disconnect between announced attendance and butts in seats, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had bulk sales a lot this year that didn’t get resold. All I guess but when they announce 15k and multiple whole corner sections have little or no people in the seats the practical math gets weird.

“Houston Dynamo: Don't miss out! More tickets now available for the game tonight vs. Portland Timbers! Mon 10/30 at 8:30pm. 100-Level Endline Seats! Buy now for only $30 each.”

To buy now, reply with: BUY DYNAMO + quantity

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm not talking about empty seats. I'm kind of saying put a sock in it on the incessant empty seat shots. The attendance would tell you the same thing and it's not like let's try real hard to be a buzzkill while it's going on every week. Here are some photos just to bum people out.

I wouldn't even mind if it was an isolated point then dropped and on to the soccer. I've been that way for years. Yeah the stadium looked empty. Now the soccer......

14k people showed up is a rational discussion point. It said 14k but look at the photo during the first half is a rational discussion point. Look at this out of context photo that who knows when it was taken that night, so that you're bummed about the game, is emotive instead.

I don't support the regime any more than the empty seats folks do, but I also don't like having it overshadow the games where it is like the only point of discussion. This is playoffs and it's like you're stuck the last three years. I do wish the ownership could change but to be blunt, advancing this deep in the playoffs whatever financial problems our regular season attendance would have induced, are now cleaned up fairly well by playoff ticket sales. If you did this for 17 games and the season was over, maybe that means one thing financially. But we're now doing it 20 games so that means something else economically. This game this coming weekend is at least nominally a sellout. You going to post that as well? You're picking the wrong year to try and start a pitchfork brigade.

I don't think we have the right owners, GM, coach, or even many of the players. But in the MLS semis I don't think revolution is going to sell. Not to the normal fan base. Not to the papers. Not to the front office. It's fine to criticize how the team is handled and fine to make any points you want to make but your timing is awful and the emotion is not economically accurate.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #56 juvechelsea, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    ASPCA reference is the sad, disheveled dogs with "Arms of the Angels" playing, complete emotional melodrama. Empty seats pics, without the other substanative discussion, are just playing sad music and showing an empty stadium. It's emotive crap. Give me facts. Photos count as facts if they show the whole park during the game and it doesn't match the count. Photos don't count if they aim at an empty part of the park before the whistle, and don't show the rest. That's a selected presentation intended to trigger a visceral unthinking response. That's a political ad before an election.

I full well understand the Dynamo play their version of this in the playoffs by seating people in the frame of the tv cameras. You play your game, they play theirs. I'd prefer cold numbers or if you want to bring seats into it, prove the numbers are crap with photos. But a photo of one stand that might have been taken 30 mins before kickoff (or 30 after) is emotional bull.

The third party discussion is more like it in that it tries to explain what we feel like is a premature sellout based on how poor the rest have been. But there what we can do is match the team claims against seat footage and figure it out. And until either the secret comes out or the stadium turns out 1/3 empty on game day, we won't know. People do forget we've been fighting the Astros the first two rounds and have an international break to sell this one, not half a week or so.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #57 juvechelsea, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    You really think "the panther" gives you nothing to sell, regardless of which language(s) he speaks? It's a marketing failure/failure of imagination. There are salable players but the media gives the other teams more free coverage and we don't market our own team that well trying to make up for it. You know who the nice guys and the characters are on the Astros because they are put out there to see all the time. We have a low profile and what profile we do have a lot of energy is put into Torres. The Hondurans get social media focus when they should be the broader marketing face of the team, them, Machado, Manotas.

If they speak Spanish have an anglo voiceover but their image. Or have them talking it up to Spanish language media.

Did they ever remove the media ban at practices? This might be also where some of the structural impediments affect interest.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not gonna spend all day in a circular debate with you but a few things:

- if someone wants to post things about the game and lineups, I’m not stopping anyone
    - if you want me to post more photos to prove my point I will - BTW, in most of those photos the players are on the pitch in game play so they aren’t misleading
    - your argument about ticket sales in playoffs covering large amounts of extra salary is flawed because 1/3 of ticket revenue is shared with the league (maybe playoffs are different but I doubt it) and the Dynamo aren’t spending $2 million on a player in hopes of getting 3 home playoff games. Dynamo were probably pretty fortunate to finish 4th and even get the knockout game at home this year; they aren’t going to bank on home playoff games to justify spending

9. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Pratices are closed to everyone except the first and last 15 minutes.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I feel like the unrelenting seats thing drowns out any game discussion. Maybe that's why it's done. Toss an early bummer in there before people get into discussing the team and the value of the game itself. So we're in the playoffs and you're acting economically like we're broken. My point is whether you like it or whether they planned it, another 20%+ of soccer revenue has probably rendered your individual arguments null in the aggregate. We were down to a team low 17.5k for BBVA, but add 20% back on top that, it probably works out more seat revenue than recent years.

"Bank on it" is a relative term. You spend like recent seasons, the team is uncompetitive, playoffs are x% unlikely. You up payroll slightly, the team is more competitive, playoffs are now x+y% likely. There never is a guarantee but facing 60% of the league advances and amid eroding fortunes and attendance a business might decide cheap isn't competitive enough to sustain business, that with a modest bump we might make it, and either pay off the added expense with regular season attendance, and/or perhaps expand the season with added postseason/ CCL/ friendlies based on success.

But at least one thing you're neglecting is they may already be concerned about STH as they do this. They already see the erosion. So they can either moneyball it again, low risk......but low reward chances too. Or they up the payroll somewhat, slightly higher risk but also the reward becomes much more likely, and 60% of the teams make it. It's not that big a risk and to me the lesson of this season is even a halfway decent team with flaws can compete in this league, it's a total underpaid and understaffed joke that won't.

They may have underestimated the harm done to themselves by the downturn years, in terms of the regular season. I bet they expected to even up on that more. But they would also start to even it out relative to previous years by having more games. It doesn't matter if it's 1+1+1 or 1/3+1/3+1/3, more games adds up as revenue. It's 20% more home games now! I think they would have been more confident about regular season attendance and not assumed many playoff games but in either case the bottom line idea is sometimes you have to spend money to make money. This season's attendance erosion reflects that if the product is not paid enough and is uncompetitive enough for long enough, the fans tune out. The failure to compete every year itself goes to the bottom line. Or did we not learn this from the Astros, who themselves took time to get fans to rebound.

Not going to go around and around is basically a politics argument. You routinely introduce into discourse what I see as an unrelenting bummer and then won't defend it when someone says, woah dude.

If you're the guy posting the tweets I'd swear I asked whether you were and it was denied. I am not saying you're fibbing on crowds, that's more like, if you have some sort of point to make, make it in full. Don't give me one stand and no correlation to the announced number. "This is what 14k looked like" but "this is what they announced as 15k." But to me just posting empty stands is whiner emotive garbage. I can hold both the improved performance and reduced attendance in my head and see the potential problems. Posting a darned empty stand every week is annoying. Let's just reduce the whole soccer thing to a business bummer.

Sad thing is like I said, I am the least of fans of the FO/GM/HC. But there is love underneath. Team gets better and you're still primarily posting these seat things, particularly past the point where Mr. MBA has to grasp that the postseason revenue is rendering his argument moot. I may want the leadership out as well but it's not going to consume my whole posting matter.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  14. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TX Bill and 7seven7 repped this.
  15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'd sit the lot of them (Leonardo, Memo, Beasley). Senderos has looked better than Leonardo, Remick would be familiar with Seattle and is roughly equal to Beasley at this stage, and we have a working midfield rotation Memo fell out of.

Plus a la Barrett vs NYRB one has to factor in the risk of re-injury and either allowing a goal or a forced sub in a short series. None of them have been so high impact I'd risk-reward them as being worth the risk. In fact, Memo is the only one of them worth having back next season.

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go with the team/lineup that got us here.

17. DeuceFive

DeuceFive Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    IMG9552711.jpg
    No, no, no senor! I give you the Panther!!

*rey* and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  18. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yes! I sat down the row from this guy last game. the illusion was only broken to drink beer. quality

19. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mulrooney "one of my favorite players ever" rep

20. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify, when you say you hate the MLS, you mean Garber and Co. who change the rules at a moment's notice to favor clubs over others?

If so, I'm with you.

Heft repped this.
  21. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Attached Files:

22. DeuceFive

DeuceFive Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Beer make Panther happy!!

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yep pretty much. As well as they ugly way the ball bounces on the turf, the lack of pressure, the in-house media department, the draft, the All Star Game etc.

TX Bill repped this.
  24. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No - It's still first and last 15 minutes where you get to see them warm up and cool off with no actual viewing of training. I'm honestly not sure of the reason for it except that it's just something Wilmer wants. The initial reason given for it was that Wilmer wanted no distractions - but I think he's probably just going for what most other teams do. It used to be that a media person could ask for a particular player, but that is no more - the media are given the names of players who will be available for interview on a particular day.

I was there yesterday for the first time in 6 months and its different than 2011 and 2012 when the team were moving up in the playoffs - there were more conventional media (meaning Houston TV channels) going to the practices during those times.

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They complain about poor coverage but then limit availability.