Playoffs: Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers, Monday, October 30

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 27, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2017.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Monday Night Football in Houston!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Every team in town is playoff quality. Not only did we erode our base but the choices evolved. The Astros in 2006 missed the playoffs and began a nearly decade long dry spell. When BBVA opened they were sinking down into that series of 100 loss seasons. But they upticked in 2014 as we fell apart and by 2015 they were a playoff team. Texans have two straight division titles. Rockets have become serious again.

So corporations and casual fans have some choices and we are just now getting our crap together playing catchup.

And then I think the general payroll attitude plus 3 years of nothing eroded the soccer fan base. People can tell when you're not really trying or moneyballing it.

2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Portland is a tough place to play, we have our road issues, and we look gassed. But they have some midfield injuries and we'll see if we can find some magic.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Am I supposed to believe field turf in general is better than grass (implication about Portland)? I don't buy that either. This is something about the funding or effort put into the grass.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  7. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm still waiting on all the Manotas hype to catch up to him. Did he even play last night?

another clean sheet is incredible. four in a row now. couple that with the fact that earlier in the year our D couldn't stop a runny nose, and you have one hell of a turnaround for this D. Especially against one of the most prolific offensives in the league.

The game came alive when Sanchez and Alex were introduced. It's a shame they both can't be on the field together for a full 90. I think we could steal a victory by keeping Cabezas and Alexander as double DM's to stifle Valeri and have Alex creating for Sanchez and the Hondurans.

any one review the PK video? I read he both scissored the player and got the ball.

9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    But why was he embarrassed? That's his own fault. Maybe he should travel more out of the PNW.

10. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he was intimating that the things he listed were embarrassing for a playoff game. ie, there should be more people, a better field and less bigoted chants.

he definitely acted like an obnoxious guest but his assessment was accurate

11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's why he should get out of the bubble more. Besides the EPL and a select few clubs, most of the world does not fill their stadiums, have perfect pristine pitches year round.

As far as the GK chant goes, you might as well stay home if it offends, because it's part of the game in this region of the world, right or wrong. We can beat this dead horse more, but good luck.

The problems with the pitch are due to climate. Get used to it, or go plastic.

The attendance problems are an ongoing issue in more than just MLS, and soccer. Not much can be done about it.

Be embarrassed or offended if you want.

12. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Pvto”, the usual one that’s on all the Mexican league games. Snowflake stuff. You know, the one that the Dynamo FO wants fans to “yellow card” fellow fans at Dynamo games for saying while at the same time renting out the stadium to Mexican teams and not enforcing any rules

CeltTexan and Heft repped this.
  14. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yea that. Lol totally forgot people are offended by that. Kinda funny coming from one of the most homogeneous parts of the country that play on plastic.

txsn and Heft repped this.
  15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    There’s a sickness among MLS fans in that a great portion of them think every stadium atmosphere needs to be like Seattle and Portland otherwise the team should be dissolved and the stadium disassembled and shipped to Cameroon.

It’s a millennial thing that everything absolutely has to be an instagrammable experience. Whatever happened to just going for the football.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Sorry, the game was ok before Sanchez, live with Sanchez central, and then went dead when Alex got subbed in and they shoved Sanchez back wide where he sucked the first half of the season. Fixed your post.

I thought the guy got Elis with the left foot before getting ball with the right. I thought it was a penalty. I am surprised it got called live because it squirted out like a tackle on the ball. I was also surprised it got overturned because I felt like you had to ignore the left foot to act like he got ball, and could sit there and run it slo mo.

Though, I also thought Deric got man on his sliding effort. I thought the defense was "good enough," but they were getting balls in from the wings all night and the CBs were mopping it up. Put differently, I thought Anibaba and Beasley stunk.

Senderos looked decent both ways but it's one of those things where when he botches it it's going to hurt.

Like I said about the crap coaching, there was how Alex and Sanchez got handled, and there was the fact that it never seemed to dawn on Cabrera to get his better attackers away from Powell. Throw Manotas and his crap night over there and let Elis and Quioto run at the weaker defender. I think Cabrera occasionally has decent ideas but often pounds head against wall without adjusting.

I mean, you're playing against a team that has used its subs and effectiveness gets worse as you make your own subs.

17. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always thought it was poor taste, but never thought it was 'homophobic'. I think sometimes words, and even more so translations of words, evolve (or devolve) over time. There is a certain segment of society that loves to take the reins of that evolution to make sure there is always a target for the 'good fight' and always a reason to keep groups in perpetual victim-hood.

Dynamo_Forever, Westside Cosmo and Heft repped this.
  18. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear this excuse but I dont buy it. For one, football doesnt help at all. Also i expected it to be better after they replaced it. I know several turf folks who specifically told me they didnt pick the best turf variety initially when the stadium opened.

19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They really need to re-turf the field if there is a better type of grass to use. I've heard that the surface is very hard too.

20. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to correct my initial post. Technically they said we didnt use the most common variety for sports fields and that was when it first open. They have redone the turf since then and I have no idea what they used.

21. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game was at a halt the whole time. There was no urgency at any point in that game from any of our players. Disappointing.

22. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quioto played poorly on the night, as did everyone in the attack.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    txsn repped this.
  24. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that's why they initially used the different variety because of the 'shade'. I find it interesting that early on they never say anything about ryegrass, but then later they say that the problem was the using ryegrass. An now (even later on) it still sucks so either way they still havent figured it out yet.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a typical playoff match. A night where neither team wanted to get stretched too much and concede early. As the night wore on however the game stalled out, such is the life of the ida and vuelta set up. The home n home type of playoff set up.
    We ground share with TSU gridiron, so if the field is not a sheet of glass, please forgive our club. I say this in their defense. However, our club really does need to present the 4th largest city, and a "can do" type of city with a better playing surface. It is not like it's February in Texas.

That chop down in the box and VAR turn back call was classic Houston getting a different set of rules to play by. One can win the ball but if you go through the opponent to do so, you are fouling. This got settled in 1863. If one of our guys steps up and MAKES the ensuing PK, then this Cup tie is quite different.
    And that flashed header wide, THAT ONE I think will come back to bit us in the ass. We are not the best road team here in 2017.

Still, DALE DYNAMO!!!

We live in such a lush part of our nation, Gulf Coast U.S.A. one would figure that our FO could find a grounds crew that would find a way to grow a top flight grass playing surface here in the South.
    Portland and their part of the nation is as well a lush environment. They all three ground share as well with other sports teams but all three PAC-NW clubs use fake fields over God's stuff.