Playoffs: Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers, Monday, October 30

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 27, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2017.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Monday Night Football in Houston!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    When: Monday, October 30 @ 8:30 pm CDT
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: Portland Timbers (15-11-8), 1st in West
    Houston Dynamo (14-10-11), 4th in West
    TV: ESPN
    Radio: 610 am/1010 am (Spanish)

This is the first game of the Western Conference semifinals. The two teams will play again in Portland on Sunday, November 5. Total goals in the two games will determine which team will advance. Away goals is the tie-breaker. If total goals and away goals are even then overtime and potentially penalties would be played after the 2nd leg.

The Dynamo and Portland played twice this year in league action. Portland won at home, 4-2, in March and the teams drew in Houston, 2-2, in July. Portland has not won in Houston in six tries. The teams have never met in the playoffs.

Portland's most recent game was a 2-1 home win over Vancouver on October 22. The Timbers are 3-2-0 in their last five league games scoring 11 goals and allowing 5. This year Portland was 4-9-4 in road league games. The Timbers had only been in the playoffs twice before this year: 2013 and 2015. They did win MLS Cup in 2015. Their overall playoff record is 5-2-3.

The Dynamo are 4-0-1 over the last five MLS games (including the playoffs) scoring 11 goals and allowing 5. The current undefeated streak is at 7 games in MLS play. Houston is 13-1-4 in home MLS games overall this year outscoring opponents, 44 to 17.

The winner of this two-game series will advance to play in the Western Conference final round against either Seattle or Vancouver. Those games will be November 21 and 30.

7seven7 and Heft repped this.
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Portland @ Dynamo, all-time:

08/14/11 HOU 2-1 POR
    05/15/12 HOU 0-0 POR
    04/27/14 HOU 1-1 POR
    05/16/15 HOU 3-1 POR
    09/24/16 HOU 3-1 POR
    07/29/17 HOU 2-2 POR

That's 3-0-3 with 11 goals scored and 6 allowed.

In the MLS playoffs against all opponents the Dynamo have went 15-8-6 with one of those draws being the 2006 MLS Cup win. In home playoff games Houston is 10-1-2.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always a pleasure to lock horns with PTFC!

BRINGT IT! DALE DYNAMO!!!

I recall going to our USL team's playoff games in the 90's/early 2000's and to have what our Dynamo guys have accomplished at home for all of us in our MLS playoffs is justified in its distinction.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great.

Portland.

The most insufferable fans on Twitter. Every foul they commit isn't a foul. Every piece of physical contact from the other team is a foul.

I take comfort in knowing they won't be winning the cup this year though.

Heft repped this.
  6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I made a mistake in the game preview. The last five games sentence should have read like this:

The Dynamo are 4-0-1 over the last five MLS games (including the playoffs) scoring 8 goals and allowing 2.

I'm sorry for the error.

Heft repped this.
  7. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    every player on the field last night should have had ice tub / warm spa therapy fir the next three days. physical recovery will be a huge factor

the other question, who will nutralize Adi because he just threw our backline around like rag dolls last game.

8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly you haven't perused Orlando twitter.

Anyway, PRO keeps posting the referee crew from the SKC game instead of the crew for Monday's game. I can confirm that the referee is Robert Sibiga, not Mark Geiger again.

Heft repped this.
  9. webfoot

webfoot Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Corpse in Houston, spirit in Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I'll add to this.

You can peruse any board for that matter. Twitter is not the gathering spot for intellectual discussion. Bill, if you want to know what Timbers fans really think, you should check out stumptownfooty.com. That will give you a more accurate picture than 140 characters can.

As far as the officiating complaints, name one group of supporters that doesn't complain. I'll wait. It's part and parcel of the landscape.

But the sad part is, a lot of the complaining is justified. Referees in this country suck. And I say this as a referee. Bill, if you knew what a wasteland that soccer reffing in this country was, you would be right there with the "insufferable" Timbers fans. And all of the other fan bases.

We didn't qualify for 2018.

Don't hold your breath for 2022.

The infrastucture of reffing is part of the problem.

10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While my opinion is that our top referees are better than they get credit for, you're absolutely right about the infrastructure problems with the development program. I think it was brought up over on the referee forum lately that no one seems to even know what the requirements for national referee are anymore. You have the PRO roster plus the PRO development group at the top and then....what, exactly? 50+ state associations, run by mostly out of touch administrators, who can't seem to agree on level 8 requirements, much less develop a path to national.

But that's neither here nor there. I just dropped by to correct the ref assignment and shut talk Orlando.

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday Night Football in Houston Tejas!!! VAMO' NARANJA!!!

Heft repped this.
  12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Match preview:

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-10-30-houston-dynamo-vs-portland-timbers/preview

HOUSTON
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next yellow card: D Phillippe Senderos, M Ricardo Clark, D Adolfo Machado, F Romell Quioto, F Alberth Elis
    • International Duty: None
    • Injury Report: OUT: D George Malki (torn ACL), M Memo Rodriguez (knee), D AJ DeLaGarza (torn ACL); D Leonardo
    Projected Starting Lineup
    (4-2-3-1, left to right)
    GK: Tyler Deric – DaMarcus Beasley, Adolfo Machado, Phillippe Senderos, Jalil Anibaba – Juan David Cabezas, Ricardo Clark – Alex, Tomas Martinez, Alberth Elis – Mauro Manotas

PORTLAND
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next yellow card: None
    • International Duty: None
    • Injury Report: OUT: D Gbenga Arokoyo (Achilles), D Chance Myers (ankle); QUESTIONABLE: F Fanendo Adi (hamstring)
    Projected Starting Lineup
    (4-2-3-1 left to right)
    GK: Jeff Attinella – Vytas Andriuskevicius, Liam Ridgewell, Larrys Mabiala, Alvas Powell – Diego Chara, David Guzman – Darlington Nagbe, Diego Valeri, Sebastian Blanco – Darren Mattocks

REFEREES
    The preview still has the incorrect information.
    A better source:
    http://proreferees.com/2017/10/27/mls-assignments-playoffs-conference-semifinals/

REF: ROBERT SIBIGA
    AR1: Jeff Muschik
    AR2: Jason White
    4TH: Sorin Stoica
    VAR: Chris Penso

Heft repped this.
  13. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't. That bad huh?

14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They doxxed a referee earlier this year and spread around his personal info on twitter. Their argument was that it was already online if you knew where to look, but that's a lame excuse. You get 90+ minutes to speak your mind to the ref, leave it in the stadium! At the end of the day, they're humans with families just like the rest of us, no matter whether you think they screwed up or not.

TX Bill repped this.
  15. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if true, this is inexcusable. i hate refs as much as the next guy but trying to destroy them is next level psycho.

so no geiger show tonight! Oh praise Cthulhu!!

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been told that in Scotland, even a ref's own mother does not invite him to Christmas dinner. Take from this what one will.

Can this work day end!!! Err!!!

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good luck Dynamo! I will try and wake up early here in Qatar (game is on at 4.30 am) to catch the tail end of the match before work.. but having done that the last couple of days for the Astros, might only catch the very tail end... either way, Let's go Dynamo!

CeltTexan, 7seven7, ElNaranja and 2 others repped this.
  18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I have a good feeling about this

19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    iirc it was one of their SG leaders who has since been punished

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll actually cut the team some slack on this but this happens when you erode your fan base over time and lose the “easy” sales of STHs who buy all playoff games. And I went online today and saw you couldn’t even select the corner sections on the camera side to buy so they were forcing folks to buy east side tickets to make the crowd look better

http://mobile.twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics/status/925177656542400512

21. houhen

houhen Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Atascocita
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF with Martinez?

22. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 Hydro, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    There is a Dynamo game today?

Ive been too busy joining the Astros bandwagon, learning the names of the astros players, pretending i like baseball, that i havent had time for the Dynamo.:whistling::p

Edit: im watching season 3 of CLUB DE CUERVOS rght now. Awesome soccer!

23. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, this field is an embarrassment

24. La-H

La-H Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Northeast
    Quioto out? Cabrera is a bit of a joke sometimes.

25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Just poorly coached. Let's waste Elis and Quioto on Powell, not move them around (guy on the other side couldn't quite contain Anibaba), Sanchez starts to work middle so we move him wide, once Alex came in it ground to a halt. That and whatever the hell explains Anibubbles starting and favoring the hopeless Garcia as the bench back, Remick not even dressed.