Playoff Idea

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Freddie Adu, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Freddie Adu

Freddie Adu Member

Mar 6, 2003
    NYC
    DISCLAIMER: No, I do not think MLS will implement what I say because they want as many teams in postseason play as possible, but I think the following is a good idea.
    ---------

My idea basically takes elements from American sporting tradition as well as the European concept of rewarding the top team of the league tables.

Since we have 6 teams in each conference, the idea would be to take the top 3 in each to the postseason. This makes it a nice exact half of the teams making the playoffs, as opposed to the majority. It makes the regular season a lot more important.

The #2 and #3 seeds play the conference semis. The winner will play the team that finished on top of the table in the conference final. This way the regular season actually means something since you only have to win one series to reach MLS Cup if you are on top of the standings. I think its the best way to give an advantage to the conference regular-season winner, better than just having one playoff game at the home of the better seed.

It keeps the home and away format of Europe along with the importance of beign on top of the table, as well as throwing in a bit of NFL Playoff wild card format.

Just throwing it out there for theoretical discussion.

2. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm totally for this idea, with a league up to 16 teams. The playoffs should be a huge accomplishment, not a simple expectation.

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I've said it before: three rounds of playoffs among eight teams, best-of-seven series determines the winner.

And those of you who think I just joke around, well...

4. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, because MLS wants a 10 month season.

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I want a 10 month season.

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't start this thread. You started, like, 844 of the others on this board.

6. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Freddie Adu,

I couldn't agree more. I've thrown out the same idea repeatedly in other playoff format threads. It makes perfect sense because there is a real, meaningful reason to try for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. The only difference we have is I'd like to see one-offs instead of home-and-away. Home-and-away is more 'fair' but I don't want fair - I want the regular season to really mean something so that teams actually playing hard for an ADVANTAGE in the playoffs.

In the current playoff system with home-and-away first rounds, there is really no difference as far as seeding goes except for the one-off conference final. However, with a 3-team one-off system, 1st place is rewarded with a bye week and home field for the conference final, 2nd place with true home field advantage for a one-off conference semifinal, and 3rd place makes the playoffs - there are incentives for the top teams to keep playing hard. I really feel that one-offs are the way to go both for excitement and providing true home field advantages. Plus it seems like with playoff attendances lower than regular season attendances, we'd want to cut the # of playoff games....

Anyway, I'm all for a 6-team playoff system up until 16 or 18 teams in the league.

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of BigSoccer members have proposed the same idea.

Unfortunately, Lamar Hunt (and perhaps some other owners) seem to think it's vital for lots of teams to have the chance to play in the postseason.

8. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    A playoff format discussion! YAY! Get me the popcorn!

9. ariadland

ariadland New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Durham, NC
    there must be at least 10 other live threads on this subject

10. Freddie Adu

Freddie Adu Member

Mar 6, 2003
    NYC
    It's more fun starting a thread. And besides I think this format is very practical and not that different from what we have.

11. TheKing G

TheKing G New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    california
    How about they adopt the NASCAR playoff system ?

12. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    MLS is obviously going to keep the 8-team playoff for the forseeable future. Their present goal is to expand to 18 teams by 2014 (I think it's 14). Then about 40% of the teams would make the playoffs. I honestly don't know why they didn't start out at 4 teams like the WUSA did but it's quite apparent that the playoffs won't change much. Personally I wish they had a 3-game series so there is an actual home field advantage.

On a side note, the one thing I hope we never see again is an MLS Cup game played in a non-soccer stadium that is not entitled Gillette. C-bus, Carsangeles, and Dallisco have their own stadia. Next year we will add Chicaview. The next year New Harrison. Then perhaps DC and Colorado. So therefore I hope we don't have to see a half-full Giants Stadium for the championship. (I'm not picking on the Metros there...insert DC, KC, etc. for the same effect).

13. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like this idea alot. give the 2 conference champs an extra week to rest and recouperate from injury. the first round is then comparable to the wildcard round in the NFL...2nd round are the semis, and last round is the final obviously.

when mls expands to 16+ teams...then maybe switch it back to 8 team playoffs...but until then (which won't be for how many years? close to 10?)...i'd like this format.

14. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Beer and pizza good. ​
    MLS playoff system very very bad.​
    Lamar hunt has done alot for the game, but is completely cluless about bringing an exciting and intriging soccer league to this country. Only half-way through the season, and the only thing the west is waiting to figure out is wether a pathetic Colorado can fend off a lack luster ReAl Salt Lake. Nice job MLS, riviting. This is edge of your seat stuff. When it comes to game, the people that run this league are a joke. They are savy business men perhaps, they just sadly don't know how to connect the game to the public.​

15. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If things went my way, I'd have single table with no playoffs, just crown the regular season champion. Of course, there isn't a single person in this country that would like my idea.

16. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I would hate it myself, but still somehow enjoy it more than the garbage format they roll out now.

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The format now is perfect. Let's leave it alone.

Eight teams may be a little much, but it's been the same every year, and it should be in the future as well, so let's not change it now.

18. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    You like a format that rewards the top team in the league pretty much the same as the 8th best? MLS fans seem to enjoy the everyone-wins mentality, so I am sure I am in the minority here.

19. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many other Div. 1 leagues in the world use playoffs?

20. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I'm with you on this one - I want to see real advantages for teams in the playoffs to make the season more meaningful. If they stick with eight teams, fine, it kinda sucks now but it will get better as the league expands - but why not just go with a one-off the whole way through so #1 the format is consistent and #2 there is a true homefield advantage (rather than the second-leg-at-home stuff designed to make things 'fair'). I'd like to see even bigger advantages as incentives for regular season success (like byes, for instance), but a real homefield advantage would be good enough to satisfy me.

21. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Thank God for that.

22. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    MLS won't ever do that for this one reason: "MLS Cup 2005 from Pizza Hut Park LIVE on ABC!" I will also tell you that from watching NASCAR and playing FIFA I hate the whole regular season champion thing. I LOVE giving the Supporters Shield to the champ that way but people in this country want and need a playoff. One of these days NCAA Football will figure that out. I just like for the season to end with the championship game. The college bowl season seems like a letdown because it's a bunch of exhibitions and I don't want MLS to go that way.

With that being said, fewer playoff teams would be nice.

23. thedeuce_2

thedeuce_2 New Member

May 22, 2002
    Virginia
    I don't think personally that MLS needs to have less teams in the playoffs, but I do think the aggregate system is a little wack. The top teams in the table should have more of a reward in the playoffs. A 3-game series or a 1-out all the way through would work better than what we have now. But overall I can't complain, I think the playoffs add excitement and give MLS its own little kick that some other leagues around the world don't have.

24. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

25. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about at the end of the year they put all the teams names in a hat. If you are in first place in your conference you put your name in 6 times, if you are in second you put your name in 5 times, etc.... The name that gets pulled out of the hat is the MLS champion. I like that about as much as our current playoff format.

On a side note I really do like the playoff idea proposed here. Anything to make the season worth more.