Playoff Game 1 | Oct 1, 2016 | OC Blues

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by mangerson, Sep 30, 2016.

1. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] Sacramento Republic FC (52 pts., 14-6-10 overall, 7-3-5 @ home) v. [​IMG] Orange County Blues (30 pts., 12-14-4 overall, 5-2-7 away)

Saturday, 7:30 p.m. kick-off at Bonney Field
    • Television: none (?)
    • Radio: none (?)
    Sac owns season series, 2-1-1

4/30/16 Sac 0-1 OC @ Bonney
    7/10/16 Sac 3 - 3 OC @ Anteater
    8/24/16 Sac 1 - 0 OC @ Anteater
    9/30/16 Sac 2 - 1 OC @ Bonney

Glory, Glory!

2. joelrip

joelrip Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there! And there are apparently still tickets available? Where y'all at?

3. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hear ya, i looked yesterday, and there were A LOT of tickets left. Hope everyone brings it tonight and rocks the house.

4. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Did my part, even got a spare. Gals at the SRFC store don't know why either.

Maybe the G1C open house is stepping on SRFC a bit?

5. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At Bonney before kickoff. Crowd is noticeably larger than a regular season game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Pardon me while I ragebarf.

7. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow.

I want to blame the refs....but we had plenty of opportunities.......and we gave OCB quite a few also. Our boys just couldn't find the net.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, guys. I should have stayed home. Team was winless all season in home games where I stood in TBB, undefeated when I didn't. The only home win I saw all season was the game where I got a free ticket from a friend with season tickets and sat at midfield.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I hate to say it, but I don't think we did anything in that game that merited us advancing.

Not saying OCB did a whole lot better, but they prevailed.

Disappointing to go out so weakly.

mangerson repped this.
  10. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I blame Elninho for this one.........lol

Either team could have won this one during standard or extended time. we probably had more chances, but OCB had a couple of open net shots and choked, too.

Shootouts are a crapshoot, and our mark got called..........looking on the positive side, i guess we don't have worry about playing first team players at the friendly this week. [emoji34]

11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to wait until this morning to post, so this will be very 20/20 hindsight in assessing last night.

First thing I noticed was we were starting Kneeshaw and Williams up top, I thought that was a poor decision by Buckle, as those two guys have thrived as subs coming on late in games to wreak havoc on tired back lines. Starting them negated their speed and chances, wasting their strengths, and we could not score. Williams was gassed early in the second half. Then later Buckle made some strange subs like Barrera for Koval, brought on Rodriguez.. he should have brought Guzman on earlier to help break down OCB. But alas, all hindsight.

OCB had a number of chances throughout the game that could have done us in before even getting to PKs or extra time, so kudos to them, they stepped up. It was just fitting that we could. Not. Score. The theme that plagued us most of the season was there tonight. We needed to score, but the only cheering we could do for that was during PKs. Total crap shoot.

I really didn't expect to lose this game, after all the hard work to get the #1 seed. But that's the way tournaments go. If you don't score, you're going to throw the game to a roll of the dice.

I'm just sad for all of the guys who worked so hard to turn the season around, they deserved more.

Next thing my mind immediately goes to is what this does for the squad that sticks around for next year. Will guys move on to greener pastures? Try their luck elsewhere? Will it be harder to bring guys here with a low finish in the league?(even though the regular season is what matters more?)

Oh well, there's that Chivas friendly in 3 days!! :D:ROFLMAO:

30King and mangerson repped this.
  12. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with QT, I thought starting Kneeshaw, rather than bringing him in late for a shot of energy, was an odd choice. I appreciate Buckle trying different lineups and formations, especially given the talent that came in late in the season, but I don't know about trying something new going into the playoffs. Was that a 4-3-3 we played or was Iwassa given free reign?

OC did a great job of bunkering and counter-attacking. It was depressing how we hoofed it over the top for so much of the 2nd half, and clearly the forwards and middies weren't in sync with Carlton playing that type of game. He too often had no one to flick it to.

Couple of great saves by Newton during regulation. In extra time OC clearly wanted to get the game into the shootout. I guess they had a lot of faith in their keeper.

I hate bowing out in the first round.

13. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iwasa, Williams, and Barrera all interchanged freely. Each of the three was playing as a forward for about a third of the time in the first half.