Players who deserve a shot in next friendlies

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by The Old Lady Hertha, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Isn't Lahm both footed ? So playing Friedrich as a CB, Lahm RB and using preferably Fathi or if abolutely necessary Jansen on LB could work.

Fathi definitely needs to be on the squad anyway imo, as defensive option and backup for LB. Klinsmann in some friendly even used Schweinsteiger on that position and much to everyone's suprise he sucked big time :rolleyes:

About all the U21 regulars ( Trochowski, Volz, Fathi, Kiessling, heck even Matip and Hilbert ), there is a EC tourney this spring, maybe Klinsmann doesn't wanna steal all of Eilt's players. Or maybe they think if the kids get a seniour call up they'll get all cocky and won't care for the U21 anymore ( Hanke played for the youth team after the Confed Cup and did well ).

Another option for the future is 1860's Lehmann ( DM ). The guy has leading skills, something rare on the current NT.

Unfortunately Klinsmann is very stubborn about his player selection. I like his work overall, but he really needs to reevaluate some of his call ups and maybe criteria to select players.

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jaison, playing doesn't always iron out mental mistakes. Some guys can have all the physical capablilites in the world, but if they can't master the technical aspects of the game, then they just don't become anything.

Huth is one of the guys I believe is completely overrated. I agree that he has the potential, but there's no guarantee he'll realize that potential with playing time.

I think he needs to be taught the intracies of the technical aspects of the game. He's not going to get that at Chelsea or even at Villa. He'll be thrown out there and told to play.

I think he needs to return to Germany with a club that will be patient with him and has a trainer who can teach him the technical aspects of the game.

And that's not FC Bayern, HSV or Schalke either. I was thinking along the lines of Bremen (Schaaf), Mainz (Klopp), Nuernberg (Meyer), Gladbach (Koeppel) or Dortmund (van Marwijk).

Places who have trainers/coaches with a good reputation for teaching their players and making them better.

3. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yup, there were offers from Nurnberg I believe, or rumours but he denied them and decided to believe Mourinho instead. :rolleyes:

4. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Huth played against Portsmouth earlier. Not much test for him. Portsmouth is a weaker team ranking low in the league.

5. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pity and sympathy minutes again.....

Doesn't mean shyte in the larger scheme of things...

6. Bayerntone

Bayerntone Member

Nov 7, 2005
    HK
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sigh!

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ballack on Klinsmann screwing Christian Woerns from an article posted to our BVB Yahoogroups forum:

Ballack: "Christian was an important part of our team. I was surprised when he was sacked from the team. Christian is disappointed because he is a starter at Dortmund and other defenders are not. I can understand him."

And Wörns reconfirmed his criticism yesterday: "When Klinsmann says it's all down to performance, it just makes me laugh."

+++++++++++++

For those who don't get it, in the eyes of many, there is no German defender performing better than Christian Woerns right now and Klinsmann continually told him he'd be given his chance to be a part of the Germany set-up and Klinsmann lied right to his face.

I lost a lot of respect for Klinsmann in this thing. To me, what he did to Woerns showed a serious lack of courage and integrity.

If Ballack thinks Woerns was an important part of the team, what might others think?? :eek:

8. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    totally agree with you!

Same goes for Sebastian Kehl. Klinsmann told him that he would probably get a chance against Italy and he isn't nominated either. What a f*cking liar.:(

9. balla_basti

balla_basti Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Dhaka
    I dunno about Woerns because he has looked increasinly dodgy to me over the years whenever he has played for the NT. From what i gathered during those brief minutes it seemed like he was past his prime.

I must say though that i havent watched him at all this season so footy would be a better judge.

As for Kehl though, im absolutely distraught that he did not get a nomination. I was so looking for him to play that holding midfielder's role. Torsten Frings is not a DM and he has to play it. I dont like that and neither does he nor for that matter Fabian Ernst. It means Ballack playing a much deeper role to support him as well leaving him out of crucial goal scoring situations as happenned against France.

10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woerns has been outstanding this season. This has honestly been his best season since 2001-2002. I also believe there isn't a German central defender playing better than him right now.

The major factor against Woerns is his lack of speed. Technically, there's no one stronger.

If Klinsmann had come out after the incident they had when Woerns wasn't invited to the Hamburg camp and said that Woerns didn't fit into his plans, I would have been OK with that.

However, after that Klinsmann continually told Woerns he'd have a chance to claim a place in the team and that chance never came.

As far as I'm concerned, Klinsmann is a lying coward. And after Ballack's comments, I have to wonder how many others on the team recognize that.......

As for Kehl though, im absolutely distraught that he did not get a nomination. I was so looking for him to play that holding midfielder's role. Torsten Frings is not a DM and he has to play it. I dont like that and neither does he nor for that matter Fabian Ernst. It means Ballack playing a much deeper role to support him as well leaving him out of crucial goal scoring situations as happenned against France.[/QUOTE]

11. Mehr

Mehr New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Two players that absolutely have to be given a shot.

Kehl
    Fahrenhorst

Simply because they play positions that we are weakest at.

Kiessling, Trochowski, Odonkor, M. Friedrich should also be looked at.

12. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    I don't think Klinsi will be looking at new players this late before the world cup. I think he already has the core of players that he wants to choose from for the 23-man squad.

But I agree that Kehl and Fahne should have gotten a look. Other than Woerns and Mertesacker, Fahne has probably been the most in-form German central defender of late. While he only has 2 caps, he is still older and more experienced than most of our CBs that Klinsi has picked.

13. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Yea and Fahne is playing in big games too...I think he deserves a shot..more deserving than at least Sinkiewicz.

Kehl should be on too...he's our best "destroyer" imho.

14. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Piotr Trochowski
    !!!

15. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I think none of you have mentioned Frank Bauman, and he’s a better DM than Kehl imo, and it seems absolutely no one is even thinking about him.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because he's too much of a wimp on the pitch........

17. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yes, Baumann could help Klinsmann´s squad, because he can give
    a defense stability, when he is in top form. :)

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="Eisenfuß" Eilts]Yes, Baumann could help Klinsmann´s squad, because he can give
    a defense stability, when he is in top form. :)[/QUOTE]

And when he isn't, he's merely average. I've followed this guy since he was a youngster at FCN. And I mean on the youth team. A son of a friend of mine played with him there.

He's talented, but I don't think he's "Germany International" talented.

Everytime he gets called up, I'm absoutely amazed that Germany can't do any better.

I know you probably hate those comments EE, but that's what I feel about Baumann. I think he's an absolute wimp on the pitch who would be one of the best if he found some attitude........

19. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I think Baumann has added some grit this season, but if the match against Juve was any indication, he just can't deal with world class teams.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you get past the group stage of the World Cup, that's all you're going to face. International and world-class talent.

21. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Unfortunately though, I don't know how Kehl can do better IMHO. Kehl hasn't played against top-class opposition (besides Bayern Munchen) for awhile now...while he is a tough lad and a great tackler, he may have some weakness taht we don't know of...

However, the only way we can find this out is if Klinsi nominates him!!! :mad:

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's a better DMid than Baumann. That's all we need to know for this conversation.

23. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    And that he should be called up by Klinsi

24. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005