Players Should Refuse To Play If No Grass in WWC.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by sisterluke, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    They're so called smart ads. They tailor the ads to match the text that topically appears on websites.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What ads?

:whistling:

cpthomas repped this.
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    exref repped this.
  4. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    "Off camera, Wambach told Foudy that it was FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke, who explained FIFA’s reasoning to her, which has to do with FIFA wanting to strictly stick to Canada’s original bid that it won by proposing the use of artificial turf. Apparently, once FIFA agrees to do something, it does it."

Umm, no, Mr. Valcke. Canada did not win the bid because it proposed artificial turf. It won because only two bids were submitted. And the other one was Zimbabwe.

Simply amazing that FIFA bureaucrats had the chance to install fields the players would be more happy with, AT NO COST, and still refused. The height of arrogance. And the women are correct that this is sexist. An equivalent situation with the men is 100% unthinkable.

I hope this situation is discussed at length, on air, during the tournament. FIFA deserves to be raked over the coals on national television.

5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, but that situation was pretty much set up by FIFA (perhaps not on purpose) since they have rules that stopped all UEFA nations from applying and pretty much told the US that they had it several times so it was not their turn this time.
    Thus leaving very few possible serious alternatives and of those few only Canada applied.

exref repped this.
  6. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yes it's a dead issue, but if this is true for the opening game...............

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Here's a bit of a thread bump but how much did turf impact the WC? I didnt notice a lot of injuries blamed on the turf or many complaints about how hot it was. They did get a noticeable increase in ball speed so I guess the passing stats were down from the norm. U did get the genius notion from Wambach that the turf hurt her heading ability. As a lot of teams seemed to be running on fumes in the later matches, id put some of that to turf heat. And of course there were the turf slips, which I noticed a lot. And if Sesselmann's slip was caused by the turf, think of the irony there.

exref repped this.
  8. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Ha-ha-ha-ho-ho-ho! I find this funny!

I've talked with some FIFA guys who make the point that it is not just the women who are the guinea pigs (Not their language). U20s, it seems, have also done WC events on turf.

That said, I think it is a shame! I personally Hate playing on turf! What IMO the women and the U20s have in common is their lack of economic power to Force a change.

Do I think teams/players should refuse to play on an artificial surface? Not so much, the power to force change is not IMO yet there. Do I think it is a horrible way to organize these events and an affront to the players and their fans-- absolutely!!