Players RSL should trade for

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by sokol, Aug 15, 2005.

1. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    What current MLS players should RSL make a move for? IMO, the biggest need for them at the moment is a striker, and particularly an athletic striker who can hold the ball and be a target for Mathis and Williams, and at the same time be someone for Kreis to run off of and take shots. To be honest, I don't care that much how good of a goalscorer he is because I think we have guys who can do that if they're given a little time and space. Basically we need what RSL thought they were getting in Dante Washington. Our defense has struggled but I think that has a lot to do with RSL not haviing good possession. Plus they have already made moves to improve the midfield and defense and a target forward would he,p with possession a lot.

My list would be:

Edson Buddle- An in form Edson Buddle IMO would be the perfect fit for RSL right now. He's fast, strong, holds the ball and is still a great goalscorer and creator up front. He's in a difficult situation right now and a trade might be the best thing for him. If I'm Steve Pastorino, I would be talking to Columbus about his situation and planning an offer. Maybe his legal problems will make it impossible, but it seems now would be a time we could get him without giving up nearly what he's worth. Did he ever play for Ellinger? Plus, look at what's happened to other Crew strikers who have for whatever reason fallen out of favor there and moved on.

Ednaldo- Based on what I've seen in the LAG forums, they'd probably pay us to take him. He's not a super talented player but he is fits what RSL needs. A huge step down from Buddle but I think he'd improve RSL.

Alain Nkong- Probably a similar player to Naldo. Not super but he'd fit the need and we could likely get him without giving up too much.

Jovan Kirovski- not a great athlete but he holds the ball well and is a great possession player. It might take a lot to get him though.

Nate Jaqua- great athlete. I think if he could really thrive with RSL and having Williams and Mathis to provide service and Kreis to run off him. Might be hard to get away from Chicago though.

RSL doesn't have a lot to offer which makes any of these trades tough. Of these players, I'd say only Buddle is worth trading Williams or Mathis, and that's assuming he can get his act together off the field. I think Jay Nolly might have some value, as he looks like he's capable of being a starter in this league. Tiger is a better player than his PT would indicate and he could have some value, especially if Scarlett can be a strong left mid. Dipsy is another player who has some value. Dunseth, Akwari and Kamler also could be worth something.

2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we might use 1 more big striker, but my preference would be a stronger midfield. we seem to lose the game in the midfield, there is a lot of gaps and a loss of fluidity from the backline to the midfield. right now with new signings coming in today i feel pretty good about our defense, too bad we looked like total crap against KC. that backline MUST tighten up. hopefully cabrerra can come in and do a good job, it will also be nice to have another fast defender/midfielder with scarlett. broome is speedy and it helps to have a defender like that. it will be interesting to see how they do this weekend, will the new signees get playing time against the quakes? i hope they are good enough to hop right in there and make a difference.

btw, how big is gregario? is he a target striker?

3. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I think the problem in the midfield is that teams push their defenders forward to pressure the midfield and backline, since they know that RSL isn't likely going to beat you with a long ball. Watch the NE game again to see what I mean. If they had an athlete who could get on the end of long passes from the defenders it would open up the midfield a lot. Right now it seems like the midfield is never able to recieve the ball and turn it up field. They have to just play it back to the defense and they either try a long ball or a tricky pass through the midfield. Also because of this, the midfielders (especially Williams) either leave the midfield and go forward or come all the way back to the back line just to get open. That's why it looks like there's such a gap. If teams feared the long ball they'd back off.

Gregorio is a midfielder IIRC, and he's about average sized, maybe a little small. I'm guessing he'll either play on the left wing or as a d-mid most of the time.

4. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya gregorio is a midfielder, 5'9" 165, average size nothing more. i wish dante would have panned out. hes done basically nothing and to me looked like total crap against the wiz. i dont know if rsl is going to add anyone else this late in the season. especially with the guaranteed contracts now.

any idea on who is getting cut?

5. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know if this has been posted, but Dante assisted Kreis' 100th goal off a header, that turned into Jason's lovely volley.....that's doing something!

6. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats about the only thing he has done while in a rsl uniform.

7. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    True that may be, but......um......uh.........yeah. :confused:

8. blondie

blondie New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Yes, Edson Buddle has played for Coach E. Same team as DJ and the others.
    Again, they came in 4th in the world.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edson could probably use a place like Utah right now.

I think our midfield is the problem personally.

Dema Kovalanko!